WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Hall of Fame.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Kitchen memories

Hi everyone!

I thought I would post a still life I painted a few years back. This piece was done in my studio from life. It was done on sand paper (Wallis, I think), and the pastels used were Giraults and Unisons. The size is 15 1/2" x 19". I have an affinity to kitchen objects from the 1950's, and my thought was to assemble a still life to portray that time period. I believe the fabrics were also from that period, as I purchased them in an antique store, and they look to be pretty old! Somehow, when I took this picture, the bottom of the painting is a little cut off, and the top is missing just a little height. It's pretty hard to get the colors in the scan to match the painting, and I apologize if it looks a little dark. The set up is on a wood shelf, which is not easy to see on this scan.

Thanks for looking!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Kitchen memories

Hi Chris - thanks for sharing this still life - it gorgeous and very well done. I especially like the metal tool and how you captured the aged look to it and the little yellow pitcher is a favorite too.

Sometimes when we go back and look at an older work, we see things we would have done differently. Any thoughts on this one?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

That's wonderful! Well done, great setup too

www.honeywoodstudio.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Wonderfully done! The highlights are really great!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Gorgeous still life, Chris! I really like the way you arranged the items and lit them. The shadows on the back wall are an interesting part of the design and they add a sense of depth too. I have a still life set up but something's not right so I haven't started it. I'll study yours and try to figure out why it works so well!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

This is gorgeous, Chris! Wonderful work all around; good composition, good light/shadows and the objects are very well done. I enjoy the atmosphere in the painting. Great work!

My Website My blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Western PA

Hails from United States

This is wonderful as everyone has said. Your ability to create a sense of realism with pastels is remarkable. What a nice touch to use a 50's style dish towel as the backdrop. I'm sure that someone who collects, displays, and or uses the retro equipment would appreciate hanging in their kitchen!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Carson Valley

Hails from United States

Very good idea, and really good work. We all should do more of this!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Kathryn,

Thanks so much for looking. Hmmm....... interesting question. I think on this painting, I would have to say I'm pretty happy with it. There is almost always something I would consider doing different for next time, because I'm never totally satisfied, but on this one I've sort of moved on. This painting has been really good to me, as I've done well with it in shows. I guess because of that I'm reluctant to jinx it!

As I was painting this one, it underwent many changes, so maybe I fixed most of its "problems" as I went along. It's funny you should pick out the yellow pitcher as a favorite, because that was a major change. It started out as a plate leaning up against the fabric, but the shape and color just wasn't working, so I removed it. I then added the pitcher, but it was white, and that wasn't working, so I changed its color to yellow, which I felt was better. The egg was added as an afterthought, because I felt it needed something more organic. The nice thing about a still life is you have total control, and can change just about anything you don't like as you go along. It doesn't always work out to my advantage (some things just can't be saved - they end up in the trash bin!), but on this one I got lucky!

Thanks again!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Nicoclaus, Thanks so much!

Don, Thanks for looking!
Donna, I'm sure you'll figure it out - your work is beautiful - I look forward to seeing a still life from you!

Merethe, Thank you for looking and for your kind comments!

creatividee, Thanks so much!

IMaybe, Thank you! When I don't know what to paint, I just set up a still life and go for it! It's always available, it never moves, and the light never changes! I'll take all the help I can get!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Funny you should mention a painting going through changes - I was just looking at a landscape I did that went through major changes, and not just once, but many times.

But perseverence pays off, it just got accepted into a museum show.

Your insight on making changes until it works is right on the money - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - but then, if you don't go for it, you don't get the gold ring!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Wilson
Funny you should mention a painting going through changes - I was just looking at a landscape I did that went through major changes, and not just once, but many times.

But perseverence pays off, it just got accepted into a museum show.

Your insight on making changes until it works is right on the money - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - but then, if you don't go for it, you don't get the gold ring!

Wow! Congratulations on getting accepted into a museum show! Great accomplishment! I wish you the best of luck!

You are so right about making changes. Since I've started using sanded paper (especially Wallis), it has relaxed me so much more when painting. The paper can take such abuse, and still look good, it is really quite amazing. I don't feel so stressed about the choices I make because I know that if I don't like it, I can just wipe it out and try again. The painting doesn't get trashed, and I can rework the problem over and over again. And even if the painting is trashed, I can reuse a piece of paper again and again until I'm more satisfied. It really is quite liberating.

I used to use Canson Mei Tints smooth side, but it does not take any abuse whatsoever, so now I only use it for quick sketches in portrait workshops. Sometimes I use it for quick still life sketches, but not so much in landscapes. I struggle too much with those, and I need to be able to rework them - I need all the help I can get!

Again, congratulations on your success!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Stunning work!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Beautiful! And very interesting to read about the changes you made! Sometimes we do find out changes are needed, but may be reluctant to take out some part of the painting we've spent so much time on. A bit ruthlessness towards oneself can make wonders.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Paula, Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your kind comments!

Charlie, Thank you so much for looking, and for your kind comments. Yes, it is very hard to be objective with our own work, and be willing to make changes regardless of the time spent. It is something I always struggle with, and have to force myself to do.