Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions Ummm, ever heard of a ‘Plein Aire Style Frame’?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I admit I’ve been on hiatus a long time, but not once in my life had I ever heard of ‘Plein Aire Style Frames’ until recently I started frame shopping.

Is this a term that crept up in recent years? I guess they will do anything to try to gain an edge in marketing.

If you know what one is, and what’s different about it from a frame frame, please enlighten me.

Many thanks,

–Sowegapainter

bongo

I never heard of it until I read your post. After some googling it appears to refer to wide (3″), unadorned frames commonly used for plein aire paintings. Plein aire paintings tend to be small, and small paintings tend to look better on wide, unadorned frames…

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

Dcam

I agree with Bongolian.
                I make my own frames and any small works that I have get a wide frame.
                I tried some with adornment but found it was too “busy” and took away from the painting. Hence; keep it simple.
                Typically Plein Airs works are quite small.

Anonymous

I agree with Bongolian.
                    I make my own frames and any small works that I have get a wide frame.
                    I tried some with adornment but found it was too “busy” and took away from the painting. Hence; keep it simple.
                    Typically Plein Airs works are quite small.

Dcam do you buy moldings and chop them yourself? Or buy precut?

I’m having trouble finding a place to buy simple plain frames for canvas. (like a discount house or outlet) When I painted 20 years ago it seemed there were more options, which is odd because I thought they’d be more available now because of the internet.

Can you recommend a frame source? (maybe I’m missing something in my many searches)

Cheers,

Dcam

Sowega: Hi, I buy just about all the wood at The depot or lowes.
                        I usually get premium pine or poplar. The two stores also have nice decorative trim pieces that I pin nail onto the basic frame structure. I have some good equipment. Miter Saw, Router, Brad nailer, pin nailer, small biscuit joiner for smallest biscuits. I slowly accumulated the stuff over a couple of years. I usually paint my frames as can be seen in the other thread. It takes me about a day to make a decent frame…..worth it.
                        I also have 4 big sears corner clamps for big jobs. They were $20 bucks each, so…..pretty good quality and strong.
                        Seems like a lot but in the end a huge savings.

Ellen E

My first thought was that maybe it meant simple frames that one could keep handy when out plen aire painting so a bystander who might want to buy a work “hot off the press” so to speak could buy a framed little gem from you if they wanted to on scene. Even if it’s not what was meant, I think that’s actually a good idea. :)

Dcam

Ellen, you are right……and a good idea.
                                My problem is not doing paintings in any standard size.

Anonymous

Sowega: Hi, I buy just about all the wood at The depot or lowes.
                                    I usually get premium pine or poplar. The two stores also have nice decorative trim pieces that I pin nail onto the basic frame structure. I have some good equipment. Miter Saw, Router, Brad nailer, pin nailer, small biscuit joiner for smallest biscuits. I slowly accumulated the stuff over a couple of years. I usually paint my frames as can be seen in the other thread. It takes me about a day to make a decent frame…..worth it.
                                    I also have 4 big sears corner clamps for big jobs. They were $20 bucks each, so…..pretty good quality and strong.
                                    Seems like a lot but in the end a huge savings.

Thanks for this great description of your process. I think I will begin easing into making some simple ones, as I do a bit of woodwork too.

I scouted Lowes/HD and saw their moldings all run around $1 per foot. I plan to paint mine flat black so this should work for me. I think chair rail molding looks good to start; I later noticed that several of the canvas wall frames at Michaels and HLobby were made from what appears to be the same basic generic chair rail molding I saw on the shelf at Lowes. The miters appear to be done simply, flat. I can handle that.

Thanks again for the input.

–SP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.