Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art Whirlwind HAR 10 finished

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    NeilF92

Making progress on this Winter of ’65 rescue scene . Still lots of detail to resolve but I feel that it’s getting there . Wondering about adding an orange smoke flare to the right side . Will dabble in PS.
        Aircrew detail not figured as yet , just blocked in .
        C & C welcome .

NeilF92

Just wondering if there would be streaking / spray from the rotor downdraft . Chopper’s about 30 ft above the wave tops in a fierce headwind .

NeilF92

Decided against including a surface smoke flare , too distracting .
                Got the scene pretty much as I want it now . Detailing / refining of the helicopter next .
                I’m not great on seas and struggled to find any colour photos of Carley floats post war.
                The setting is the North Sea , Winter 1965. Sinking of the Sea Gem rig .

Yell if you see something wrong , I’d hate to get to the end of this and be told then.

vegaskip

Don’t know about other nationalities, but by 1965 RN ships had long gone over to the 20 man inflatable life rafts These were stowed in the cylindrical pods around the ship.
                    Carley Floats and other ridged rafts were generally painted the colour of the part of ship they were stowed at, or Grey. The only Yellow ones I ever saw were on models! I remember some of the ‘Reserve Fleet’ up the back of Portsmouth harbour still had some rafts, and they were grey.
                    Hope this helps
                    Jim

NeilF92

Thanks Jim . I wondered if being on a civilian oil rig vessel might have swayed them to yellow . To be honest I haven’t see any of the colour I’ve painted . The nearest is a very pale yellowish grey colour so I might tone it down to that . Seems daft not to have made them more visible but I guess the Navy weren’t planning on advertising their presence bearing bright yellow equipment on deck.

vegaskip

Can’t find anything on the net about Rigs being fitted with Carley type rafts. They all seem to have either Rigid covered Lifeboats or various types of inflatable life rafts. I might be wrong, but I have had a good loo.
                            Jim

NeilF92

Thanks Jim I’m sure I read a report that mentioned a small Carley float but finding it again is a pain . Anyway I’ve toned down the yellow and it will suffice as a generic float I guess . I did ask the folks at Morayvia but haven’t heard back from them.
                                On to the lettering – always a favourite of mine (Not!)

Sparticus

Stunning job! Stunning on the waves. (I would like to darker shadowing under the copter for a more dramatic effect.)

https://spartidesign.myportfolio.com

NeilF92

Thanks Sparticus – I’ll have a try at the shadows – not the easiest of colours to get the shadows right with but I’ll keep on till it looks right . (That’s the beauty of Acrylics )

NeilF92

Still progressing this – getting near the end now . Need to darken the lettering and tweak it a little . some more work needed on the rotor blades but this is close to how it will be. I darkened the underside a bit and changed the float to a grey colour following the above feedback.
                                            Still to tackle “Royal Air Force” along the rear side .

Grampy

Brilliant Neil, love the detailing and the rough seas are amazing.
                                                Steve

Steve

Never regret doing what puts smiles on faces

NeilF92

Thanks Steve – much appreciated .

NeilF92

24″ x 20″ Acrylic on canvas.

I lied a bit there – not quite finished . Serial no. to add and general tidy up / last details check to do but this is it in the main.
                                                        . Air Sea Rescue of crew from sunken rig vessel Sea Gem in Dec 1965 . Aircrew awarded George Medal , Air force Cross and an MID for their magnificent efforts in appalling sea conditions .

vegaskip

Nice painting. Great job on the moving parts!.
                                                            Jim

NeilF92

Thinking about this one and rereading the descriptions of the event I decided that I could not ignore the fact that there was a lot of oil on the surface , staining the survivors red so I assume that would mainly be red diesel from the machinery on board the rig . I am now working to add a suggestion of oil sheen to the surface in places . I also decided to show the leg stump which was all that remained visible of the sunken rig vessel . Also thinking about the substantial
                                                                amount of wreckage which would have been adrift in the area . A painting is never “finished” :) I’m wary of cluttering the painting and spoiling t so must tread warily.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.