WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2020, 11:47 AM

Hails from United States
Paper

I am searching for a paper to use with watercolor underpainting and then pastel application. I do not like the pebbly surface common to rough or cold press papers. Smooths are too smooth.

I am looking for a textured paper with a subtle, more grid-like surface. Years ago, Fabriano had a cold press paper with that type surface but their current process produces the common "pebbly" surface.

I recently found a sheet of paper in the bottom of my drawer that has the type of surface I am looking for. The water mark is a trident. I have researched this but cannot find any art paper with this mark. Anyone ever use this paper? Where can I find it?

Any help with my paper search would be appreciated.

Marilyn Ann
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Salmon Arm, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Ann
I am searching for a paper to use with watercolor underpainting and then pastel application. I do not like the pebbly surface common to rough or cold press papers. Smooths are too smooth.

I am looking for a textured paper with a subtle, more grid-like surface. Years ago, Fabriano had a cold press paper with that type surface but their current process produces the common "pebbly" surface.

I recently found a sheet of paper in the bottom of my drawer that has the type of surface I am looking for. The water mark is a trident. I have researched this but cannot find any art paper with this mark. Anyone ever use this paper? Where can I find it?

Any help with my paper search would be appreciated.

Marilyn Ann

Have you tried Fabriano student grade papers? They are the Fab Studio line (the artistico is their artists grade). Quality is still top notch but because they are machine made (not mould made) they are less desirable for most artists but it sounds like this patters is actually what you are after.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

If you're talking about true pastel surfaces, try Pastelmat. Works well with wet underpaintings (or without). Not the cheapest!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2020, 06:13 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

You might try some printmaking paper such as BFK Reeves. Very nice texture that will take pastels fairly well. It doesn't have much size in it, so I dry mount it to a rigid board before working on it with water.

Have you tried sanded papers? I really like painting with watercolors on the white sheets, followed up with pastels. Fisher 400 and UArt are going to hold up to the water better than the Pastel Premier papers. No softening of the adhesive or lifting of the grit which will happen with the Pastel Premier if you get it pretty wet. The UArt isn't available in white, but watercolors look nice on the buff colored sheets if you don't need white, and they are also very water resistant like the Fisher 400. I also do the same but with Dr. Martin's Bombay inks when I want a darker or more intense underpainting. Of course the sanded papers are not going to give you the absorbency of watercolor paper since they are pretty much waterproof, but sometimes that is actually a bonus because the paint stays on the surface and is more intense. The sanded paper can eat up your brushes, so don't use the $180 Kolinsky Sables!

Last edited by contumacious : 02-29-2020 at 06:27 AM.