Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Brushes for gouache painting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alan Swanson

Would appreciate any info about what type brushes are best for gouache, although I would imagine it is a personal opinion matter. Are stiffer brushes better for gouache than for watercolor? Anybody out there who uses Kalish brushes? I’ve read they are quite good, perhaps the best. I am a novice and could use some advice from an experienced gouache painter.

You’re right, I think you’ll get a bunch of different opinions when it comes to brushes and supports for gouache.

Personally, I use relatively cheap, synthetic brushes that are firmer than watercolor brushes but not like stiff bristle brushes for oils. I think they’re called synthetic mongoose but not sure. Gouache tends to wear brushes down quickly so I don’t like to spend a lot for them.

My suggestion is to try various kinds til you find something that will work for you.

I’ve never heard of Kalish brushes but will google them when I finish this.

I hope you enjoy gouache – it’s a favorite medium of mine.

AbA

I use cheap synthetic brushes, small flats are useful. I also use a Pentel water brush with my Caran d’Ache pan gouache.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

0125a3c

I’ve had luck with Utrecht’s synthetic sablette brushes.

Kosmon

When I first started watercolor, I got the Jack Richeson Watermedia Pocket Plein Air Brush Set.

A little later on, I got some Da Vinci watercolor travel brushes, and realized that the Richesons were not so good for watercolor after all (too stiff, and don’t hold nearly enough water).

Later still, I tried gouache painting, and found that James Gurney used that same Richeson brush set for both casein and gouache. Eureka! While marginal at best for watercolor, it’s a great gouache set.

Kos

Hemmed & Hawn
                from
                PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                Alan Swanson

Thank you for the advice, and thanks to the others who replied to my request for advice about brushes for gouache painting.
                    Alan Swanson

0125a3c

The winsor & newton cotman brushes are also decent and a good value.

Boafamily

Taklon synthetic fiber brushes are my go to and they have always delivered beautiful results.

llawrence

I’m using taklons as well. Nice and bouncy.

RedcarUK

I’ve just bought Daler & Rowney Graduate brushes after seeing a number of YouTube Gouache artists use them (without promotion, I had to google the Graduate name that I saw on the handles).

They are inexpensive all-purpose brushes (one brush cost me £2.50 in Hobby Craft) and look good to me.

I’ll let you know how well they work. :)

I hadn’t heard of the D/R Graduate brushes so I did a quick search. I found that Daler Rowney makes the Simply Simmons line which is my absolute favorite for gouache but they’re relatively difficult to find here.

Please let us know how you like the Graduates, but if they’re as good as the Simply Simmons, you will!

ABA

otherworlder

Taklon seems the way to go for both gouache and acrylic for me. Princeton’s seems pretty good, but even cheap no name brands I haven’t had too much trouble with.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.