WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#466   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2014, 10:20 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirou
Yes, if the scale were large enough for that difference to be noticeable.

Well, can't the same be said regarding a box drawn in 1pp where you can see two sides at the same time :-)
  #467   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Re: Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajane554
Well, can't the same be said regarding a box drawn in 1pp where you can see two sides at the same time :-)

I'm going to make some drawings and find out! My next day off is Friday. I'll try it then!

I'm finding all this investigation and questoning very helpful.
  #468   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirou
I'm going to make some drawings and find out! My next day off is Friday. I'll try it then!

I'm finding all this investigation and questoning very helpful.

Yea, me too, it's a good conversation. I'm thinking that, as Arnoud said, it's not an exact science but more of a tool to help us get things looking right.

1pp is really the same as 2pp, but with the second vanishing point so far off to the side that it's at "infinity" and you don't see the horizontal lines converging at all. So I think that when you observe something you want to draw, if the horizontals look close to being parallel, it is easier to draw it in 1pp (even if its face is not directly in front of you), rather than trying to do 2pp with a 2nd vanishing point 3 meters off the end of the page
  #469   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Kiran - Sorry to have to say about the table drawings: too much thinking, not enough common sense .
The abstract form of a table is a box with big holes in the side. Does this remind you of a box ?

I don't like the perennial explanations of 1PP, 2PP in tutorials. Those are mathematical concepts that rarely have any use in real drawings/paintings.

Look here:
Horizontal parallel lines that lie in the "plane of the paper", i.e. perpendicular to the line of sight, do not converge.
Vertical parallel lines do not converge.
In sets of horizontal parallel lines, all lines converge to the same VP on the horizon line.
(Other lines are not treated in this basic class)

That is the same information, but without the danger of mixing semantics with mathematics.

Common errors can be illustrated with a very basic example, the railroad tracks:

In particular, your VP's do not lie on the same horizontal. And all lines in a set must go to the same VP, not two by two as in your drawing.

I guess you erred because you were thinking too much. The drawing of your room was correct, with one obvious exception.

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #470   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Thank you, Arnoud! It's a good thing I didn't move forward to lesson 3, as I am still making mistakes. In this case, though, sigh, Iím afraid itís the opposite - a lack of thinking on the tables rather than an excess of thinking (as I did on the room drawing). The room took me a lot of time and logic (including that preliminary attempt to try to find the vanishing points). But with the tables I tried to relax, work less laboriously, and include more data from what I see and less data from the rules.

Also, I drew the table top as I saw it, and then I just completely forgot to use the concept of the box to help place the lengths of the table legs to match (also less thinking).

From my imagination, I can easily draw boxes and tables following the guidelines for however many vanishing points on the horizon, but when looking at a subject in real life, I donít see the lines of a box extending to the vanishing point. Thatís what I was saying with the first drawing, that I couldnít see how the edges could possibly extend to VPs on the horizon line, and so then I just arbitrarily applied the mathematical rules in contradiction to what I actually saw (thinking).

In the tables, I did the opposite. Instead of applying the mathematical guidelines (thinking), I tried to more draw what I see (common sense). If the object in real life doesnít seem to follow the rules of perspective, should we arbitrarily impose them on the drawing anyway? Iím trying to brush up on my perspective in order to more easily draw from life, but I canít yet understand how to match up what is in real life with the guidelines for perspective.

Although I drew from life before taking any photos of the table, I did this exercise just now:

These vanishing points to not appear to lie on the same horizontal to me, but I know itís not just the distortion of the camera in this case, because this is also what I saw with my eye while doing the drawing (more or less.) Is it the case that the rules of perspective are just an optical illusion to make the drawing more lifelike, even if life itís not really what we see at all?
  #471   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Kiran -

Quote:
If the object in real life doesnít seem to follow the rules of perspective, should we arbitrarily impose them on the drawing anyway?

Do you doubt about the principles illustrated by the railroad tracks above?
If you accept these, they are the result of rays of light reflected from the objects. Do you think it reasonable that rays of light remember where they come from and react differently according to their origin?
The title of this classroom "Draw what you see" really means "Do not draw what you think you see, learn to see the exact abstract forms".

Don't pretend you saw this in real life; I don't buy it.

Our eyes play tricks, many beginners will swear that they see the back edge of a table top larger than the front. You could measure distances and angles with a knitting needle or so. That is however a technique that needs practice before you can use it accurately. But than you will see that what seemed not to follow the rule, is indeed as art schools teach since the 17th century.

Further:
Do NOT trust photographs, all photos taken by amateur cameras distort the perspective - among a lot of other things . I have superficially corrected the distortion in your photo.

Although a bit off, it is clear that the 4 VL's of each VP come together, not 2 by 2. And also it looks OK-ish that the far VP is on the same horizon line. And of course, this is an example - as suggested by Sara - where you would better choose to draw it in 1PP.

#472   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Hi Arnoud.

Thank you for your continued explanations.

No, I don't doubt the principles shown by the railroad tracks at all. Just trying to figure out how to apply them to what is in front of me when it's not something as obvious as railroad tracks receding into the distance directly in front of me.

No, I don't pretend I saw those legs where they appear in my drawing. I was using the knitting needle measuring technique (using my pencil) and, as I mentioned, forgot to look at the legs as the bottom of the cube. I look forward to that technique improving with the practice that you mention.

I feel more confident about the shape of the top of the table, though, and as you pointed out, the two sets of edges to the left and right do not recede to vanishing points on the same horizontal. That's what I am trying to work out.

I only use the photograph to try to show you what I am struggling with because that's the only way I have to illustrate what I'm looking at, since we are not here in person. So, if you can recommend a better way to show you what I think I am looking at, I will implement that solution instead.

I could easily draw this table in one-point perspective, but I feel it would then appear to be facing the viewer. That is what I mean by arbitrarily imposing a rule. I feel the right side of this table is slanted away from view, and I wonder whether that slanted feeling would still come across in one-point perspective. I'm going to add that to my list of exercises to try.

Thank you for all your help!
  #473   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Kiran -
Perspective is a tool, like measuring with a pencil is a tool. If you are very good at measuring, you will come to the same result. But perspective is much faster, and you don't need painstakingly measure each window sill for instance.
BTW, this class is about learning to use the perspective tool, not about freehand drawing.