Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials What size brush, set for water colour and ink.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lost0ne87

Hello I am getting a set of red sable brush’s for ink and water colour.

Will be using a fine liner for the drawing part and I will be drawing on a3 to a4 paper and sometimes on canvas.

What brush should i get and what type (rounds and what not) and size.

Kind regards

CarlyHardy

You might want to check out the watercolor forum for more info on brushes.

When I use watercolor, I like a soft 1/2 inch flat and a 1 inch flat. The rounded shapes create a distinctive shape which doesn’t fit with my style of painting.Brushes are unique to each artist…we all develop a style using certain brushes, Purchase the best you can afford and see how they work for you.

lost0ne87

You might want to check out the watercolor forum for more info on brushes.

When I use watercolor, I like a soft 1/2 inch flat and a 1 inch flat. The rounded shapes create a distinctive shape which doesn’t fit with my style of painting.Brushes are unique to each artist…we all develop a style using certain brushes, Purchase the best you can afford and see how they work for you.

I like the rounds but say if I were to get a size 1 to 10 would it be good to skip a size, 1, 3, 5 so on. Think one size up is to similar to its next size and helps to save on the cash.

Bartc

OK, I do a lot of this technique and I find this an odd question, because the size of the brush for the type of work you do and size of support is idiosyncratic.

What I use for the ink is fine size or brush size permanent ink pens. They come in colors too, and I like the Faber Castell line personally.

For the washes and for most watercolor I prefer either a half inch flat or even moreso I like the 1/2″ (or as close as you can get) in a dagger stripper. The advantage of the latter is that you can immitate the effects of flats, rounds and riggers with one brush, even in the same stroke! Look those up.

Here are examples from my just finished Australia trip:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.