Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Winton French Ultra-marine Blue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ntl

I know Winton is “student” grade, not “artist”grade.
        However, is Winton FUB close enough to artist grade to be used instead of?
        I have a brand new 200 ml tube of Winton (and several smaller tubes of other Wintons). I’m finally using the last of some of my original artist grade oils, and am thinking of using the Wintons along with my other paint rather than buying new, including a couple of tubes of cad yellow hue. I have never used Winton.

Okay or not? Together in the same painting? Is the handling that much different, or is the color different, are they incompatible?
        Should I keep my range of Wintons–from a man who did mainly seascapes–for studies, but which of course, fit in with my standard colors too, except for hues, which I have also never used.

While asking, I also have a set of Daler-Rowny paint. What is it’s quality?

Humbaba

Winton is fine for oil painting, the line is cheap, but I have no issues with them. You need to make sure to follow the traditional method of oiling out and finally varnishing, the dull look after sometime is the same for most brands.

Another point to consider is lightfastness, read the labels before you buy and make sure you are not purchasing a pigment that will fade after 100 years.

I have not used much Daler Rowny, but many of its colors are imitation, some fade after 25-100 years according to the tubes info.

Gigalot

Ultramarine is always ultramarine and it is as lightfast as a normal ultramarine can perform.. :) The same for iron oxide pigments and for Lamp Black.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.