WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#271   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: GOUACHE CORNER March 2012

I really like the spirit of your paintings, britrail (I see your name is Bernard...) Welcome! Glad you've joined us.

Lin, thanks so much for sharing your journey. I'm a little intimidated by that photo, though I can see the intrigue. You've given me new insight--well done!

Tomorrow (which may be 'today' in the land of Oz) is another thread....
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #272   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Lin, your urban landscape is incredible. I love the lively sense of light and motion in it. Great perspective and cheery feeling, like it's a holiday or just a very good day. Like the little half dog in the bottom right wandering out of the painting, that's cute.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #273   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Britrail - Welcome! Beautiful Gouache & Ink sketches and I particularly like the Sunflowers!

Lin - This is spectacular....excellent job!

Deborah - You're right it's already Sunday 01 April here. We're ahead of Australia by a couple of hours and it's 12.00 noon here in New Zealand now.

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 03-31-2012 at 08:13 PM.
  #274   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Lin - that is a beautiful painting - much too complicated for me but you nailed it.
Bernard - good to see you and your lively sketches here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skappy
Very good painting Ros your painting over a book works great and if each painting is better than the previous it is going to end up at the Louvre

Thanks to everyone else for all the kind comments and encouragement on my portrait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBetty
Ros the portrait is very strong. I haven't been very happy painting gouache on acrylic ground because it beaded up, maybe I was watering it down too much.

I like painting in discard books too, but wasn't clever enough to realize gouache would be a better idea than acrylic. Acrylic makes the pages stick together so badly, even with matte medium and lots of microcrystaline (sp) wax and talc. A friend and I have a book we've passed back and forth for years, each working on it in turn, with a garden theme. I tear out about a third of the pages first, and glue every couple of pages together to make them stronger.

Betty, I used Jo Sonja acrylic gouache for the background which dries to a lovely matt finish, and the paint seemed to go quite well over this. I think other acrylics make have a more plastic (shiny?) finish which can make them stickier. the pages in this book are reasonably thick and when given a coat of gesso there is no buckling.
Ros
  #275   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM
A Local Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi all thank you so much for comments on my 'Le Metro'. It has taken me most of the month on and off since I painted my jackdaw. As you know i'm new to Gouache and I did find elements frustrating but I did so enjoy the challenge and I thank Robert for the ref which allowed me to try something new. I'm not sure how true it is to the real town - but that's art isn't it. Turner specatularly 'amended' some of his landscapes.....

Now as it is the beginning of the month I'm off to check out the new refs....

It may b e a while before I can start the next one. As I was new to gouache I bought a small set off Reevesd which I've now virtually depleted and a limited set of the Pebeo - whcih I love btw with it's vibrant colours, but I need to replensih some colours as I doubt I'll have enough to finish the painting.

The only shop I know that selss it is Skipton Art Shop in Yorkshire over 150 mies away, and as with all UK suppliers you have to spend over £40 or pay extortionate postage £4 is fiar for huge pads and paer but for 3 tubes of paint or 4 pastels that can be popped into a jiffy bag and sent for about 40p letter post it is a bit much. As we don't have huge mega art stores no ONE online shop has everything so I would need to spend £40 at abotu 5 shops to get my needs. - Probably why I have a house full of suff I won't use for years!

Still I'm off up to Leeds to visit my bro on Thursday and I have a visit to Skipton pencilled in

Anyway see you all on the next one!
  #276   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Lin! WOW! I love how your Metro turned out! It was fun, wasn't it? Bravo

And Robert, thanks for the Google image, I am going to be in Paris a few days this summer so want to find it. Just for the record, here are my badly taken progress pics of the same image.

I love how we took such different paths to get to where we were going and dealt with the same issues in different ways. (Yep, I'm going to like this whole "process" thread.) Mine is quite small, on dark paper, I started with the lights and cools, and moved to the warms, etc.

See youall in class Monday night!

Last edited by MsBetty : 04-01-2012 at 07:41 PM.
  #277   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Canada West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Is someone going to link to the new April Challenge ?
  #278   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here you go, Les: April Corner.

Betty, it's terrific! You should post it over on the new thread!
(Try this: click on Quote in the lower right-hand corner of your post, then highlight and right-click to copy the whole thing. Then click on the April Corner link above, and when the new thread opens, click on Post Reply, and then paste it in there. One last detail: remove the tag at the front that reads [quote=MsBetty ] and the one at the end that says [/QUOTE ] and you're done!)
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #279   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Canada West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thanks Deborah