Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Which pochade box do you think is the best?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author

In your opinion, which pochade box do you think is the best?

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

harson

My choice would be alla prima .
        But there is no BEST whats good for one person might not be so good for another we all have different tastes so its all about personal prefferance

Anonymous

homemade.

ly

Hi
                Alla Prima !:clap:
                ly

JamieWG

It all depends on what you need it to do. Do you paint large? Do you only paint 6×8″? Do you have to hike two miles into your painting locations? No one box would ever do it for me; my needs are just too diverse depending on conditions, painting location, medium, size I want to paint, whether I will sit or stand, whether I plan to carry paints and supplies separately or need to store it all in the box…..

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                    [/url]
                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

HankB

I don’t own any of those so I’d have to agree with sidbledsoe and say homemade. Some of those boxes look nicer than most of the furniture in my house so I’d have a hard time dragging them out into the wilderness, exposing them to weather, and covering them with paint.

Shadia

Hi!
                            I agree that one would need more than one box; for the moment I find my Allaprima to be exquisite, I got it last June and suddenly my PAs were much better…!!! lolol
                            As I’m a “urban parks” painter for the moment, I’m satisfied with the one I have (the Bitteroot). I feel comfortable and everything is well placed. I just love it! Well worth the investment. As for getting it dirty… it’s made for outdoors! I added a wood palette (fits on the box), which I simply put in the wet painting comp. when I go back home. Then I do not use the bottom of the box as a palette. I prefer it, and it’s cleaner that way!

Shadia
                            Longing for the warm weather to come back..

I purchased the 6 X 8 Belly River from Alla Prima Pochade last summer and it exceeded my expectations. When I purchased it I figured if I really liked it, I would buy a larger box from Ben. I’m considering the 10 X 12 Bitterroot Lite. Do you own the Bitterroot or the Lite version?

Hi!

As I’m a “urban parks” painter for the moment, I’m satisfied with the one I have (the Bitteroot). I feel comfortable and everything is well placed. I just love it!

Shadia
                            Longing for the warm weather to come back..

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Al Skaar

I purchased the 6 X 8 Belly River from Alla Prima Pochade last summer and it exceeded my expectations. When I purchased it I figured if I really liked it, I would buy a larger box from Ben. I’m considering the 10 X 12 Bitterroot Lite. Do you own the Bitterroot or the Lite version?

Hi Cindy – Sorry for butting in on your question to Shadia but I did exactly what you are planning to do. I bought a Belly River a couple years ago and really like it for small works and for travel. I had an EasyL, which I sold on Ebay to get the Bitterroot Lite. I love it. Super easy and fast to set up. I carry my paints separately in a plastic ArtBin box anyway, so I don’t need the drawers – or the extra weight. The only downside to the “lite” version is that you can’t use the “sun clips” with it. I’ve used them many times on the Belly River and they are really handy. But that is just a minor issue. The box is rugged and light and the outrigger trays are great. I’ve taken it on several hikes of 3 to 6 miles and it carries well. It’s survived a couple of blowdowns – one into some lava rocks on a beach – with no more damage than a small chip out of one corner. I’ll try to upload a photo later.

– Al

Hi Al,

Does the Bitterroot Lite work well as a laptop pochade or do you think the Bitterroot full box would be better?

Thanks for replying to my post.

Cindy

I had an EasyL, which I sold on Ebay to get the Bitterroot Lite. I love it. Super easy and fast to set up. I carry my paints separately in a plastic ArtBin box anyway, so I don’t need the drawers – or the extra weight. The only downside to the “lite” version is that you can’t use the “sun clips” with it.

– Al

Al Skaar

Hi Al,

Does the Bitterroot Lite work well as a laptop pochade or do you think the Bitterroot full box would be better?

Thanks for replying to my post.

Cindy

I’ve never tried it as a laptop box. I’ll give it a go after work and let you know. I don’t know about the Bitterroot full box. Haven’t had the chance to try one.

– Al

I’ve never tried it as a laptop box. I’ll give it a go after work and let you know. I don’t know about the Bitterroot full box. Haven’t had the chance to try one.

– Al

Thanks, Al. :)

Looking through American Artist Workshop magazine sure makes me want an Open Box M. Practically every photo has one in it. Haven’t any of these artists heard of Alla Prima Pochade?

Al Skaar

– Al

Hi Cindy – the Bitterroot Lite is a too top-heavy to balance on your lap without using one hand to hold it – however I discovered that, if you unclip one side of the included shoulder strap and loop it under your thighs and re-clip it, it is very stable and would work great as a lap top pochade. But if you get a sudden urge to dash across the street for a cup of coffee you’d better remember that you’ve tied your legs together under your easel! :lol: I’m glad you posted this question because I never would have thought of trying it otherwise. I plan to try this method on small panels where sitting on a bench would be a little more anonymous than standing. Here are some photos of my Bitterroot Lite set up, and my pack. Hope this helps!

– Al

[ATTACH]473007[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]473008[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]473009[/ATTACH]

Hi Cindy – the Bitterroot Lite is a too top-heavy to balance on your lap without using one hand to hold it – however I discovered that, if you unclip one side of the included shoulder strap and loop it under your thighs and re-clip it, it is very stable and would work great as a lap top pochade.

– Al

[ATTACH]473007[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]473008[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]473009[/ATTACH]

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. :)

I guess no pochade out there will do everything you want. You’ve got to have 2 or 3 of them to cover all the bases.

I took a peek at some of your paintings on your website. Wow – you are a great artist.

Take care and keep up the good work,

Cindy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.