WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 PM

Hails from United States
Question Haven't heard anyone speak of this paper. Just curious.

So I am a newbie to colored pencil art. (Also to this forum) In general I hop all over the place when it comes to creating things. The thing I that had been my go to is acrylic paintings. Never serious but have done things for family and friends. I got a prismacolor 120 set years ago that I just experiment with. Only now I have been inspired by artists on youtube.

Has anyone used fabriano studio 140 lb paper for colored pencil work? I purchased some by mistake and being overzealous. I was hoping maybe it had a similar tooth to it.All I know is I like to layer and thus far have been just practicing on sketch paper. (Which I know isn't correct paper to use an it's not going to give me quite the freedom I want.)

Anyone have any opinions about this paper? One way or another I will use it in some application.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Re: Haven't heard anyone speak of this paper. Just curious.

I use the Fabriano Studio 200 gr, for watercolor (the one I use states it is for watercolor), watercolor + colored pencil and water-soluble graphite. I am not very happy about it...it is a "student's paper", and as such, is a bit limited. It is difficult to get really saturated colors and it "looses fibers" (I don´t remember the english term for this, sorry) very easily.

I am dissappointed with it, because it was expensive. How do you like yours? Is it also for watercolor?

Regards
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

I just started using it for colored pencil and I'm happy with it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipsipila
I use the Fabriano Studio 200 gr, for watercolor (the one I use states it is for watercolor), watercolor + colored pencil and water-soluble graphite. I am not very happy about it...it is a "student's paper", and as such, is a bit limited. It is difficult to get really saturated colors and it "looses fibers" (I don´t remember the english term for this, sorry) very easily.

I am dissappointed with it, because it was expensive. How do you like yours? Is it also for watercolor?

Regards

Yes the one I use is for watercolor too and 300 gm I forgot to mention. Haven't dove right into it partly because I'm working on another piece right now and also just being apprehensive.(I haven't experimented with a lot of paper.)

Though my initial opinion was it reminded me a little of card stock. Then again I can't be fair to it right away as I haven't touched it. If my first impression of the paper is right though, I think I'm with you that it would be too expensive for what it is.

Eek that kind of stinks it didn't do what you needed it to. I would not like the flaking. Oh well it's a journey to find what to use. What is your standby paper for colored pencil or watercolor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletMcQuinn
I just started using it for colored pencil and I'm happy with it.

Oh cool. Guess I am in the same boat as you then. I'll see where mine takes me. I was going to get the fabriano artistico extra white hot press 140 lb paper I hear about so much but I couldn't find that one in stores. Plus that one is more expensive.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedsilly
I was going to get the fabriano artistico extra white hot press 140 lb paper I hear about so much but I couldn't find that one in stores. Plus that one is more expensive.

Artistico is the paper I use, and I work so slowly I can easily afford it. The Artistico is 100% cotton where the Studio is only 25% cotton. My guess is that this is less important for colored pencil, especially if you use it w/o solvents, than when you use those liquids or watercolor.

I have access locally to stores where I can buy the Artistico by the sheet. That's a great way to try a new paper with a minimal outlay. I fold and tear it into quarters to do small pieces.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

I also have been using Fabriano Artistico 300 for many years and find it the best paper for pencils and acrylics.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutra
Artistico is the paper I use, and I work so slowly I can easily afford it. The Artistico is 100% cotton where the Studio is only 25% cotton. My guess is that this is less important for colored pencil, especially if you use it w/o solvents, than when you use those liquids or watercolor.

I have access locally to stores where I can buy the Artistico by the sheet. That's a great way to try a new paper with a minimal outlay. I fold and tear it into quarters to do small pieces.

The difference is that the studio one will survive some 30-40 years if exposed to light all the time before starting to lose structure. The artistico will survive hundreds of years. Since the color on your drawing will be dead if exposed to light that long... it is not a huge concern.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago.dagostini
The difference is that the studio one will survive some 30-40 years if exposed to light all the time before starting to lose structure. The artistico will survive hundreds of years. Since the color on your drawing will be dead if exposed to light that long... it is not a huge concern.

I had a more immediate concern. The studio paper is 75% cellulose and may not handle OMS as well as the 100% cotton paper.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Newton, Kansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
...The Artistico is 100% cotton where the Studio is only 25% cotton. My guess is that this is less important for colored pencil, especially if you use it w/o solvents, than when you use those liquids or watercolor...

The more cotton fibers in a paper, the longer it will last and the better it will hold up under drawing. If you're just doodling, you don't need an expensive or archival paper, but if you're doing something like portraits for others or if you want to create gallery-quality work, you definitely want something that's going to age well without yellowing and deteriorating.

As for using watercolor paper for colored pencil: If it's archival, it should take pencil quite well. The real question is going to the method you use. If you like fine detail and a lot of "polish" on your drawings, watercolor paper is likely to be a bit too rough.

But if your style is looser or if you incorporate wet media like watercolor or acrylics, watercolor paper is likely to suit you well.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:27 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:

That's a great use of the paper. I think I will end up doing that. I'm just experimenting right now with different things. It is a slow process but I am loving working with the colored pencil. I do however use solvents for a kind of flattening out or spreading of color. (usually minor) I kind of wish I had more than one art supply store around me and that is hobby lobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenart
I also have been using Fabriano Artistico 300 for many years and find it the best paper for pencils and acrylics.

I have heard good things about it. I'm inexperienced with papers so I think ill try the others I have heard mentioned too.(arches, stonehenge,etc)

Quote:

Quote:
I had a more immediate concern. The studio paper is 75% cellulose and may not handle OMS as well as the 100% cotton paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLLewis
The more cotton fibers in a paper, the longer it will last and the better it will hold up under drawing. If you're just doodling, you don't need an expensive or archival paper, but if you're doing something like portraits for others or if you want to create gallery-quality work, you definitely want something that's going to age well without yellowing and deteriorating.

As for using watercolor paper for colored pencil: If it's archival, it should take pencil quite well. The real question is going to the method you use. If you like fine detail and a lot of "polish" on your drawings, watercolor paper is likely to be a bit too rough.

But if your style is looser or if you incorporate wet media like watercolor or acrylics, watercolor paper is likely to suit you well.

All of those are concerns I have had. (How archival it is, how it will react with oms, and how i will use it.) I think this paper will be good for practice and I will use it for trying out. Liking the hot press watercolor paper so far. The only difference is i'm going to pick out 100% cotton hot press watercolor paper to use when I am more confident in what I am doing. I do want my work to last and it seems to be the most sensible.

I have a project to do something sentimental to do for my sister in law. I don't have a lot of confidence so I usually do stuff for family. I still want it to last and be professional. Not that there is any time limit to complete it and certainly not while I'm new to it. It is such a lovely medium I overlooked and I wish I hadn't. Thank you all for your input and information.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Well always remember that for several media the Cotton is not absolutely essential. If you use dry colored pencil any high quality alkaline paper should outlive you. When you use any humid techniques, like aquarelle, or you put OIL into the paper (like some do with CP) then the cotton based papers start to return their investment.

Since I draw dry, I use bristol smooth 100% cellulose with alkaline reserve.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Newton, Kansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedsilly
Has anyone used fabriano studio 140 lb paper for colored pencil work? I purchased some by mistake and being overzealous. I was hoping maybe it had a similar tooth to it.All I know is I like to layer and thus far have been just practicing on sketch paper. (Which I know isn't correct paper to use an it's not going to give me quite the freedom I want.)

Anyone have any opinions about this paper? One way or another I will use it in some application.
PaintedSilly,

Check out the videos at Lachri Fine Art. Fabriano Artistico 140 Pound Hot Pressed (the name is much too long) paper is one of her favorite supports for colored pencil. She does some absolutely fantastic stuff on it.

I've always liked softer, smoother papers like Stonehenge, but I have given some thought to trying the Fabriano just because of her results.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

I loved fabriano Artistico TILL I BOUGHT MY LAST SHEET it has a different tooth (no big deal) BUT it didn't take layers like usual and it doesn't erase like I'm used too. Seems they've changed their formula of print press and its messed up what was an excellent paper that now doesn't perform like it did with watercolours either!!!!!
Why do companies mess with what works so well and is trusted by all,its an expensive paper which I happily paid knowing it was reliable. WELL NOT ANYMORE....
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Well always remember that for several media the Cotton is not absolutely essential. If you use dry colored pencil any high quality alkaline paper should outlive you. When you use any humid techniques, like aquarelle, or you put OIL into the paper (like some do with CP) then the cotton based papers start to return their investment.

Since I draw dry, I use bristol smooth 100% cellulose with alkaline reserve.

The method I use right now isn't all dry but with oms. I don't use any oil like baby oil only because it feels like it never dries. Also I have no idea how it effects the paper or color after some time. I just kind of jumped on a starting point because I have only the idea that I want a toothy paper and honestly I have seen a lot of artists talking about it for their works.

I had no idea about alkaline reserve in papers. It must help in ph balance. I haven't worked or tried bristol yet but I have seen some awesome pieces done on it. It looks like a real smooth surface to work on.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLLewis
PaintedSilly,

Check out the videos at Lachri Fine Art. Fabriano Artistico 140 Pound Hot Pressed (the name is much too long) paper is one of her favorite supports for colored pencil. She does some absolutely fantastic stuff on it.

I've always liked softer, smoother papers like Stonehenge, but I have given some thought to trying the Fabriano just because of her results.

CarrieLLewis,

She is actually one of the artists I watch. I began looking up colored pencil art because of the Lachri Fine Arts channel. I ran into this forum and I have even seen a bit of your gorgeous art out there as well. That is what inspired me to take out my colored pencils again.

I did see the difference between the results. The Fabriano paper looked good for holding detail and less soft. I was encouraged by the fact she said it could take in the layers or that both could. The way she explained how the papers worked made a lot of sense to me. I know mileage varies but it was a nice starting point for me to try. Besides, I love thinking about colored pencil like it is a detailed painting with layers of color that shine through each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissie
I loved fabriano Artistico TILL I BOUGHT MY LAST SHEET it has a different tooth (no big deal) BUT it didn't take layers like usual and it doesn't erase like I'm used too. Seems they've changed their formula of print press and its messed up what was an excellent paper that now doesn't perform like it did with watercolours either!!!!!
Why do companies mess with what works so well and is trusted by all,its an expensive paper which I happily paid knowing it was reliable. WELL NOT ANYMORE....

Wow, I didn't know they would mess with their formula. I see that paper sold out every time I look at dickblick. Is it possible it's just a defected paper? I have no idea what it may be but I have seen a few comments about it. I hope they sort it out because it sounded like an excellent paper.