WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Any Polychromos-based Courses or Book recommendations?

Good day all,

I just started learning colored pencils. I have bought quite a few of the standard recommended books but they all feature Prismacolor pencils. While I have tried to match my Polychromos pencils as closely as possible, it has proven difficult. I have Karen Hull's Coloured Pencil Conversion and Colour Reference Charts and I am puzzled to say the least. Some of the matches are so obviously different I wonder if it's my eyes that have a problem.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a book that features mainly Polychromos pencils. So far the only book I own that does so is Ann Swan's Botanical Portraits. I have Susan Rubin's excellent video course. I have Ann Kullberg's courses and the only one that features Polychromos is the Pansies Jumpstart Kit.

I'd like to get some so that I can focus on replicating the technique shown and comparing the colour laid down to the book so I know I'm on the right track. Hoping some of you with extensive libraries might be able to throw me a bone!

Best regards,

JC
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil
Re: Any Polychromos-based Courses or Book recommendations?

My suggestion.. Ignore the color names. Ignore recepies because those are not the ones that will make you learn. Get a book using any pencil. Check the color he is using and try to emulate, that is how you will learn. Do nto try to match perfectly, because you cannot and you DO NOT NEED! In fact you will learn much more this way than if you had the same pencils as the author.

Good artists do not use pre-made formulae to achieve specific colors.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

JC, try going to You Tube, type in Polychromos Pencils and see if that helps.

Azure
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM

Hello JC, I took an online botanical class with Wendy Hollender. You can look up her book in Amazon. She has a website. She uses FC Poly. and FC watercolor pencils. I hope it helps.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 PM

I agree with Tiago.dagostini in general and that's a good thing for me since I work from life, not photographs. But I do know that Janie Gildow uses polychromos as well as prismacolor and Pablo's. She has a craftsy class on combining watercolor and colored pencil and for each project she tries to give supply lists for all 3 brands. She does say that exact matches aren't always available and that the goal of the class is to learn techniques and not just to duplicate her example.

Gildow also has lessons on her website at http://www.janiegildow.com

I think there's the most to learn from videos rather than pdfs that show the stages of a project. In a video you can see the teacher handling the pencils, which is informative.

Last edited by Sutra : 02-15-2017 at 05:08 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 AM

Well I am also new to the CP world but come the acrylic area of painting. I liked mixing colors on the palette to get the exact one I wanted. Of course we cannot do that with CP's but what I have found helpful, as well as tons of research and this forum, is to have a decent piece of paper next to your painting that you can use as a kind of a palette or test paper. You can try the layers before you work them on your painting. Okay, it's not the same, but what the heck, it can't hurt and it works for me.

May all your mountains be small and your rivers be shallow.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Sicily, Italy

Hails from Italy

Alyona Nickelsen: Colored pencils painting bible
simply the best!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Hi guys,

First of all thank you so much for your responses! I'm delighted to receive so many helpful tips and for the time you give to help out a noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago.dagostini
My suggestion.. Ignore the color names. Ignore recepies because those are not the ones that will make you learn. Get a book using any pencil. Check the color he is using and try to emulate, that is how you will learn. Do nto try to match perfectly, because you cannot and you DO NOT NEED! In fact you will learn much more this way than if you had the same pencils as the author.

Thanks for that! So far that's what I've been doing. The only thing I would have liked though is to actually compare the finished work to mine and check. I learn from copying first, but I do understand what you mean. I'm glad that what you're suggesting indicates that I'm on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszurblue
JC, try going to You Tube, type in Polychromos Pencils and see if that helps.

Azure

Azure, thanks for that. I did do that, and unfortunately only a few were vidos I could actually follow. Most were speed drawings that I found too fast to emulate. I do have some favourites now though... Emmy Kalia, Peta Hewitt, Jescia Hopper among others. I learn a lot technique wise just watching and following!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire10
Hello JC, I took an online botanical class with Wendy Hollender. You can look up her book in Amazon. She has a website. She uses FC Poly. and FC watercolor pencils. I hope it helps.

Sapphire, most definitely, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutra
... She does say that exact matches aren't always available and that the goal of the class is to learn techniques and not just to duplicate her example.

Sutra, thanks, that's what I will focus on for now, the technique. I just like comparing my finished attempt with the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRedbeard
...have a decent piece of paper next to your painting that you can use as a kind of a palette or test paper. You can try the layers before you work them on your painting.

Thanks mate! My confusion arises from, say an instruction says, layer on color A, then B. If I need to mix C+D = A, and E+F = B, does that mean I would effectively have to layer on C+D, then E+F? And if it's two or even more layers of A then B, then I'm stuck on how many of C+D and E+F I need.