WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 03:05 PM

what medium to dilute Faber-Castell Albrecht Duerer Pencils

Help!! I've seen a technique where you draw the first layer of a portrait with Faber-Castell Albrecht Duerer pencils and then wetting it with water. You then can continue (after it has dried) with pencils to create more depth/texture ect.

I tried out the above technique but find that my pencils will not mark over the dried area (it skids instead). Does anyone know where I am going wrong?? I wonder if they use a solvent/alcohol instead of water, as I think the water 'flattens' the surface of the pastmat when dried.

Any tips/help so much appreciated

Thank you xxx
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Re: what medium to dilute Faber-Castell Albrecht Duerer Pencils

Hey lindap2. You would just use water. Have you tried wetting the pencil before applying pigment? You might also be pressing too hard on your initial layers, which will flatten the tooth of your paper too soon.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Thanks for your reply. You most probably are correct, I do press hard with my initial layer. It probably is me then, rather than the water flattening the surface.

Are you able to easily put pencil marks on top of a dried Durer pencil layer (on pastelmat)?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 PM

Yup! You will find that with any type of pencil, if you push hard initially, it becomes very difficult to add additional layers, and you will build up an irritating shine with wax/ oil. With watercolor, you just can't layer.

And to answer your question, yes. Try building up your layers softly and gradually. You should hardly apply any pressure until at least your third or fourth layer. Try it on a practice piece and let us know how it goes!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM

I've never used pastelmat so I can't speak directly to that. I do have a suggestion for an experiment. Try creating a wash with an albrecht durer pencil and some water OFF the paper and brush the wash onto a scrap of pastelmat. If that surface, when dry, is a good ground for CP then that should prove the problem is pressure.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:43 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Just a quick thought, are you using watercolour paper?
It might be that you need more tooth than the paper you are using if you have been trying a particularly smooth cartridge or multimedia paper.

You were asking about pastel mat. There is some good information on this very depressing (so jealous!) video which unusually is a step by step made of photos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ9wo6QNAlc She does mention light pressure a few times....but then she also takes a knife to it as well.
Wish my art turned out like this if I took a knife to it!

The Albrecht Duerers are a bit sticky so I can see you could easily layer too much too quickly and fill up the paper. Try experimenting with holding the pencil further away from the tip so you can't actually press very hard and see if that gives you more control. Bizarre I know, but I found it helpful.