WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England
Which paper? Trial packs

http://www.saa.co.uk/paper-board-can...rial-packs?p=1

I am looking for a trial pack of paper for coloured pencil work. Is any of these suitable?

Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil
Re: Which paper? Trial packs

I would not try them that way. trying a paper needs some more involvement. I would buy 2-3 full sheets of some 2-3 papers and do 2 or 3 drawings on EACH one. Takes some effort and time to get the hang of a paper and be possible to evaluate it accurately.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM

This pack sounds like a good choice. Most CP artists that use watercolor paper prefer the hot pressed because the texture of the cold pressed and rough pressed are so deep. You'll use up your pencils filling in the valleys!

http://www.saa.co.uk/availible-for-s...-7-sheets.html
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

The one Sutra suggests sounds good. If you do get this, it would be interesting to get input from you on which brand you end up preferring.
Vena
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thank you, Tiago for your advice.

A friend is buying me a pack, so I probably will get it this way.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thank you, Sutra. That is the advice, I needed. I wasn't sure whether to use cold- or hotpressed.

I will certainly let you know, Vena, which I like best.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 05:57 PM

I personally prefer hot press watercolor paper. It really withstands abuse significantly better than cold press.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thank you for your comment, LeighBrek Arts.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

I also vote for hot press. I have found trial packs very helpful. You'll be able to eliminate totally hopeless papers (ones that pill up or smell funny or you hate the texture etc) and then perhaps by a full sheet or two of the preferred ones for further experimentation which you can use to do all sorts of work on. Much cheaper than buying several sheets of many thing which you might turn out to hate within five minutes.
Do keep notes of your discoveries. Sounds silly, but I have a few bits which have become unidentified and have no idea what they were. Which is annoying when they worked well or terribly and I want to get them again or avoid them at all costs.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thanks, Oneneedletoomany. I'm pleased you found the trial pack useful. I have to wait a couple of weeks before we order the pack. I will let you all know how I eventually get on. Sounds as though it might a good idea to mark the sheets to identify them. 😎
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Oh totally.
If you can force yourself too cut off a strip from each one and stick it in a scrap book or something so you have a reference for the future.
I have a scrap book that I have started bunging all of this sort of stuff (paint labels, swatches etc) and it is helpful to keep it together.
I write a list of the sample pack sheets (or just stick in the list that comes with the pack if there is one) and then write on it which things I tried for each paper and what happened. i.e. ClaireFontaine HP 140lb. Coloured pencil - good. red tulip. Watercolour - slight bleed, colour dries true. farm house with tractor. Then for another I might put that it was destroyed by masking fluid or that masking tape pulls off the surface etc.
The packs I have had so far have had each sheet discretly numbered in pencil. It is worth keeping track of if you are using the numbered side or unnumbered as well as this can make a difference. The numbered side may be the 'top' but it doesn't necessarily suit what you want to do so it is always worth trying both sides - just record which behaved in the way you need.

By they way - I glue paint swatches into the scrap book as the paper in it is rubbish and there is no point swatching onto paper that doesn't represent the paper I might be painting on at all.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thanks for the tips. Good ideas! There is often an area of paper left I painted that could be cut off.

Do these papers have one side smoother than the other, or are both sides the same in texture?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Varies. Some are sort of gridded on one side. Some have regular verses irregular texture etc.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneneedletoomany
Oh totally.
If you can force yourself to, cut off a strip from each one and stick it in a scrap book or something so you have a reference for the future.
I have a scrap book that I have started bunging all of this sort of stuff (paint labels, swatches etc) and it is helpful to keep it together.
I write a list of the sample pack sheets (or just stick in the list that comes with the pack if there is one) and then write on it which things I tried for each paper and what happened. i.e. ClaireFontaine HP 140lb. Coloured pencil - good. red tulip. Watercolour - slight bleed, colour dries true. farm house with tractor. Then for another I might put that it was destroyed by masking fluid or that masking tape pulls off the surface etc.
The packs I have had so far have had each sheet discretly numbered in pencil. It is worth keeping track of if you are using the numbered side or unnumbered as well as this can make a difference. The numbered side may be the 'top' but it doesn't necessarily suit what you want to do so it is always worth trying both sides - just record which behaved in the way you need.

By the way - I glue paint swatches into the scrap book as the paper in it is rubbish and there is no point swatching onto paper that doesn't represent the paper I might be painting on at all.

Couldn't figure out how to edit my earlier post for a couple of typos, so did it in a quote. Anyone know why the edit button sometimes appears and sometimes vanishes?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Oneneedletoomany if I recall correctly there is only so much time (hours) after the posting of a message that you can edit it, so if you don't realize your error until the next day, it is too late and you won't see the edit button, if you realize almost immediately then the edit button is there and you can make changes. Course Forum Admin can edit at any time, so if an error esp bothers you, you could private message one to make the change.