WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM

My first portrait! (WIP)

Hi all,

I'm trying out my new luminance 6901 pencils by attempting my first portrait. My best friend asked me to draw her two kids, so I'm currently basking in the pressure of trying to get it right! I'm not entirely happy with the eye in the sketch, but that will sort itself when I get to the faces.

Drawn on stonehenge 11x14 (using just under A4 size of the paper), using Luminance Raw Umber 10%, Raw Umber 50% & Raw Umber and Polychromos Dark Sepia. All tips/constructive criticism/general help very much encouraged and appreciated!!

Dan
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: My first portrait! (WIP)

Watching and waiting for next post. Looks good so far.
Vena
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2017, 12:49 PM

Here's today's progress - I fear the coat may need to go darker in the end, due to lightness of the boys faces, but I'll only really know that once I've got all the pencil on the page!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

interesting way of starting so hard to say till you get to the face but so far its beaut ☺☺
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Lord of the Arts

Great start. I look forward to seeing this one unfold. Looks like a precious moment.

I enjoy creating wildlife (people are super hard to me). I to start on other areas and leave the focal point till much later on in the piece so I can be settled in and comfortable with the progress before hitting the most important areas.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2017, 12:51 PM

I started with the coat to get settled in and get used to the pencils and the colour scheme I'm working with! I'll get to the important bits soon here's today's effort. Not entirely happy with the arm as it is but it's a work in progress... I will have to go back over the coat with lots more layers at some point!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2017, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

The rendering is very well done up to now If youc an keep up that quality it will look great.

Tryt o do that eye on color on another sheet of paper before commit on this one.Then cut it and put over the one you are working to evaluate if it will be ok. That is how I tackle "things that I am not confident" :P
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 PM

Things are going much slower now! I find it hard to draw when tired. Here's where I've got to - I'm struggling a little with the little bit on the top left, the highest bit I've drawn so far. Time to sleep and try again tomorrow!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Kelowna, BC

Hails from Canada

This is stunning work! I used to do some work with coloured pencils many years ago. Now I just paint with acrylics and that's where I usually post.

You do great work!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2017, 05:38 AM

Thankyou! I would love to learn to paint at some point. Pencils suit me time and space wise at the moment. Plus I love them!!

Taking a break for 5 days due to work now, but I made it to where I wanted to. Still bits left to do with the coats, but after the break I'll be refreshed and have a go at the faces! I'll try your idea, Tiago, that sounds really helpful!!

Dan

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2017, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looks so real. I know that if I put my hand on those coats that they would feel sort of puffy. You have really captured that. Enjoy your break. Looking forward to your next post.
Vena
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 04:57 PM

Right, progress.

Predictably, the hair is proving tricky. Barely any layers on it at the moment, but I'm already finding it going a bit wirey. Any/all advice incredibly helpful at this stage. His hair cannot go much darker as it is light blonde, as opposed to his older brother's brown hair. Just need to smooth it out!

Last edited by Decmusic : 02-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM

I might suggest you draw in the basic face and hair on the older brother, then fine tune. Just a thought.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Southcentral Michigan

Hails from United States

Oh my goodness! Just caught this one and I Love it!!!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
PA

Hails from United States

This is fantastic work! You had no need to be nervous. I love that you are doing it in sepia tones. Your friend will be thrilled!!