WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia
Re: giant pink ginger flower

WFMartin thank you soooooo much for such amazing praise Im truly touched and will cherish your compliment for ever. I must admit getting those hundreds of petals right is an exercise in patience alone haha but thats the challenge if doing realism isnt it.

Oilnwine this one was growing in the botanical gardens in Cairns Australia, there are even paler ones also a white one which I assume are all cultivars of your fire red ginger which is stunning.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Back to my drawing after a few weeks away having had family visiting from USA.
I have now place all the petals that are feasible to include and am now trying to give them colour and form. With so many of them Im battling to keep track of where I am haha. Ive never tackled something so involved as this before so I can see it will take me at least another week or two before I can say Finished At Last ..

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 08:10 AM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Wow, so beautiful!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

That was a lot of work Bren!!!

I believe that concentrating on "tucking in" the small areas that actually go in, will allow the light ones to TELL you what else (if any) needs more work on it...

That pretty leaf with the curly edges on the top left always calls me up, and toning it down will allow the flower to be the real star.

Also, when you do the bud behind, make sure to use cooler pinks, even a touch of violet, to put it in its secondary place.

The finish line is near. Well done!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks NiamhD 😊😊
Raquel,thanks for the feed back its always appreciated. There are always things we dont notice and of course that light green leaf is one I have been overlooking and need to get back to haha its been overlooked for the curse of masses of flower petals.
Im hoping that by the time I get to the upper deeper much darker more purplish toned petals that the off cream bud at the back will look like its sitting behind. I still need to go back and reapply its form but thats still a way off.
Cheers Bren
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Giant Pink Ginger 20.3.2017

Photo is too pink, my drawing has more of a maroonish tint to it but greens are now looking too washed out so more work there.Hmmmm

Still I feel I'm now making more progress at long last and am now working on the huge bud. To get more depth to the background I might have to spray as the papers tooth has taken masses of layers already, so another new thing for me to learn.

Still so much to do I'm wondering when I will get this finished!

Its so humid here too and the paper goes soft and buckles a huge amount!!!!! Oh well trials and tribulations heay haha ☺☺☺
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

WOW!!!

With such an amazing flower and great craftsmanship I honestly don't think you should worry about the background, except to tone it down to really "send it to the back". Dark greens, blues and violets lightly applied on the lightest areas should be enough.

Do you have someone on hand to tell you when you are done??? I think you need one beside you...

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Raquel, its so wonderful having someone with your experience and talent helping soooo much I really appreciate it.
I want to finish the flower and bud 1st then go back to the background and just go over areas very lightly just to put back some pencil lead where it seems to have smudged off. I cover my work with glassine paper but it still seems to rub off. Or maybe its a combination of the richness of fresh lead thats making those greens look dull. Whatever it needs something.
Thanks for you feedback 😁😁
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by frida
Do you have someone on hand to tell you when you are done??? I think you need one beside you...

It's always so hard to just stop. I could futz and tweak endlessly, it seems. This looks wonderful. And your background is fantastic. It's a great middle ground between including everything and nothing, which are the two choices I always get hung up on! Beautiful work!!

Save
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Many Thanks Elaine ☺☺ to tell the truth I'm over this one now. The humidity here In Brisbane, Australia has been horrendous making it very difficult to work.
So I am now calling this FINISHED and will store it away.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 PM

Store it away?!?!? It's gorgeous, it needs to be out front and centre somewhere to allow the admiration it so richly deserves! Such an inspiration, thanks for sharing! I've mixed feelings of intimidation and hope for the future for my work from seeing such amazing work in CP!

Take care,
Lynne
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I agree with Lynne, it is gorgeous and it is a shame to just store it away. I think many artists just store their art away. But, it has been visible to many on this forum and there is the satisfaction of a job well done. Maybe you will be able to put it in a show in Brisbane one day. In the summer here in southern Ontario, we too get terrible humidity, so I know how you feel about not wanting to do anything at all. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to your next piece.
Vena
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Many many thanks Lynne & Vena you lift my spirits enormously. its so wet and humid here in Brisbane Australia that its stopping me from starting a new drawing and I'm BORED haha.
And yes Vena so many pieces get filed into a folder as we have no room to display every piece not to mention the cost of framing ☺☺☺
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Wet and humid....you'll forgive me for not being very sympathetic here in Ottawa, Canada with more SNOW forecast for tomorrow I have an idea for you while you're not able to draw....work on doing up a hard cover book with pics of all your fave filed away pieces so you have a coffee table book to leave out to show case your work! I made one of a trip my hubby and I took and it turned out great! We did ours through Apple but there are tons of sites that do them and often sales.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Haha Lynne, I wouldnt mind some of that cold for a change.... never happy are we hehe
Good idea about that coffee table book though.
We had a dry windy day today so started lying out my new project. As the faces of my grandchildren are quite small in the seaside scene Im having trouble getting their expressions right. Think it will take me sometime to work out how to get it right ...... keeps me out of the doldrums though 😀😀