WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia
giant pink ginger flower

Fabriano Artistico 1/2 sheet drawing is A3
Faber Castell Polychromos & Caran dAche Pablo & Luminance pencils
Ref photo my own
It's been ages since I have had the ability to enjoy drawing and after many restless attempts I decided it was time to get serious about learning to do backgrounds which also means learning how to use ordourless mineral spirtits. So here goes my 1st post on what is an experience is extreme patience but so far fun too.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: giant pink ginger flower

I have never seen a ginger flower. Does it only grow in Aus.? I love the shading in the petals, so soft and delicate. You are working big and have made a great start. Looking forward to your update.
Vena
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Hi Vena, the ginger flowers are truly beautiful and come in many shapes and colours. This one is the pale pink torch veriety and I saw it when on holiday up in Cairns a few gears ago now. We popped into their botanical gardens & when saw this beauty I just had to take a photo not knowing that one day Id be drawing it.
I dont think its an Australian only ginger as Asia has many beautiful native ones too. Now that Im drawing this one I think I shall be taking more notice of the ones we have growing in our own garden and will get my camera working again too.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I'm in the "get serious about background" stage as well. Yours is looking good. I have also never seen a ginger flower before. I thought they were just little white things. This has a beautiful mauve type color.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

your background is looking good! love your reference photo!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Lynette 😊😊
Thanks U.H.N its a bit daunting not knowing what I'm doing but the learning is stimulating. I now need to try a few brushes as the filbert I'm using splays too much and it a brand new one so should be good.
If anyone knows whats best please let me know. I need a very thin small one too for those tight areas.
There are masses of beautiful ginger flowering verieties and I think I might be looking into taking photos of what I have in my own garden here in Brisbane Queensland Australia which is subtropical climate. Will also take a trip to our Botanical gardens to check it out havent been there for ages!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 AM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

That's a great beginning Bren!!! That's the ideal way to work, all over, so you can continuously adjust the values.

Are you using a brush on the dry pigment? Aren't filbert brushes too soft? There are tools called Microbrushes that hobbyists use to work on models. I will post a photo here to give you an idea, as they are ideal for small spaces, and come in three different sizes. Can also be used with liquid, but I never tried them that way yet.

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2016, 03:02 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Well slow going but Im starting to get the hang of it I think. I love the way the colours darken but definitely must make a trip to an art shop to find better brushes .
Yes Raquel you are right they're too soft at times. I shall google those micro thingy's but bet they're not available here. Just so much we cant get here in Australia. I would love to get some of Alyona Nickelson's titanium white and blending fluid.
Well the powder is I assume just bog standard stuff its the blending fluid thats the important bit as it hold on the paper and allows for the pencil to be applied over it without lifting.I wonder what its composition is?
I know its not accepted by the ACPS but who cares it makes for lovely art works.

Anyway my drawing so far. Sadly not the best image will try to get a better one next time.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2016, 05:41 AM

Beautiful!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I found them here, but if you look at hobby shops at home I bet you'll find them! I did through my husband's involvement with aircraft modeling...

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Homeware/.../9999225132849

PS - remember that "Google is your friend"

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2016, 12:53 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Beckykidus I hope is stays that way but if not Im learning more and more.

Yeeks AU$81 Raquel, I think not but will look around and see what else I can find. With Xmas coming up prices get crazy both ends so Im sure I will find something that suits me. In the meantime Im learning how to manipulate the brush I have. Seeing more and more of whats going on in the background which is fun too. 👍👍🤗🤗
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2016, 01:11 AM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

The difference is unbelievable! Here in Toronto a package of 10 costs 4 Canadian dollars...!

I have sent some spare Prismas once to a WetCanvaser in Brasil, so... I wonder how much the postage is to Australia? I have some spare Microbrushes...

Edit - I used brushes on Colourfix with water to dissolve the Neocolor II, but especially bought inexpensive ones with hard/er bristles. Have you tried any other kind of brush?

Last edited by frida : 11-04-2016 at 01:14 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2016, 01:54 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Hi Requal, Im still looking and today a place popped into my mind why I didnt think of them before I dont know but tomorrow after the busy Sunday garden and hardware shoppers I shall go look in their craft/ acrylic /brushes area as Im sure I will find inexpensive brushes there.
Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.☺☺
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

WIP of my ginger flower 9.11.2016

Raquel I found some new brushes and they seem to work better but time will tell.
Also I need to learn what and how to use them properly but so far Im happy with my progress. Its slow going but Im determined to be patient and do the best I can.
I nearly had heart failure when I noticed the outline of my flower was fading away even though I have it protected with glassene paper!
Im enjoying the journey which is also very important but please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to continue to improve.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looking wonderful. Enjoy the journey.
Vena