Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk HOW TO: Reconstitute your pastels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    nvcricket

Hi Everyone.

This is is my way of recycling my pastels from the dust and scrunchers. This thread is not intended for just the way I do this, but I am opening this to all of you. What are your methods of recycling your pastels dust. So please chime in with your reconstituting solutions.

Its a cold blistery day, I want to be outside painting. I can’t. So. I have decided to tackle all of the pastel dust and scrunchers that I have saved over the years and reconstitute them into new pastels.

Materials:
        Pastel dust
        distilled water
        pane of glass
        Mortar and Pestle
        stiff paint brush
        a couple of pallet knives
        Glassine/or tracing paper
        Face mask such as the Totobobo Face Mask.
        Neoprene (medical) gloves

Pastel Dust: Collect dust from your paintings by placing a strip of aluminum foil along the bottom of your painting, or from the dust that you get when you unwrap, split, or break your pastels. I have dropped my plein air pochade box on several occasions, and have saved the poor pastels that got scrunched in the accident. I save them by color, if possible, in small plastic containers, or pill boxes. I have also saved the dust when I clean out my pastel boxes when they start getting dirty. I have several years of dust and small chunks. Today I made pastels !

I sorted the chunks by color then value, and placed the chips in the mortar and ground them to fine dust. I used the paintbrush to brush the ground pastel out of the mortar and off the pestle (I bought my Mortar and pestle at Bed Bath and Beyond). You may want a face mask such as the Totobobo Mask.
        I brush the dust into a pile on the glass pane. I make a well in the middle of the dust to add the water. I add the distilled water a few drops at a time. Then mix with the pallet knife. A few drops,then mix, a few drops more then mix…. I continue this until I get the pastel dough to a clay like substance. I try not to add too much water. If this happens I spread it out and let it dry for 15 minutes or so until it gets to clay consistency. At this point I will roll it into a ball to shape however I want. I have made them square, round, even in triangles. I then place them on a sheet of glassine to let dry for a few days.
        After I have made what I can with all the chunks, then the left over dust can be reconstituted to mix up to whatever it wants to become. It’s fun to experiment with this. I now see why Carl Kelly and Terry Ludwig love their jobs. Here is a picture showing my set up and a few of the pastels I have used.
        I do not need to add binders or anything else, as the pastels already have binders. I have crossed Nupastels and Great Americans, to come up with hybrids. I’m like a mad scientist! LOL
        Well have fun. Here is a pic of my set up.

Carol

I clipped an old paint brush short to have stiff bristles needed to brush out the mortar and pestle. Those are some of the pastels I made today. The spoon is to add the water (don’t have a eyedropper)

Donna T

Wow, you made some beautiful colors Carol! Thanks for showing how you did it. I am collecting some dust and chips but I think I’ll have a dark gray because I haven’t been separating the colors. I put some little round stones in the margarine container I use for storage and when I add a chip I put the lid on and shake it to make dust.

Donna
            C&C Always Welcome

nvcricket

Hi Donna!

Your method seems so convenient and uncomplicated, and it’s relatively hazard free, and cheap. The perfect solution! :clap:

Do you have a picture of your “Set up”?

Carol

Excellent thread – I just rated it.

Perhaps you could add some photos of the process too – what it looks like when you add the water, how you roll it up, etc.

Thanks for sharing! I was just showing a couple of people the pastels I’ve made – they were amazed that we can recycle dust :)

nvcricket

Thanks for the suggestion Kathryn. Here are some photos of my process. I hope they help explain it better. It will be in the next three posts….

CArol

nvcricket

and some more… This first picture should be the last. The pastel on the far left is the one I used for this demo, these are all the other ones I have made over the past few days.

Excellent! You can really make up your own colors, but I like the deep purple/grey that I get when I put them all together. I started to keep them all separated, but then you get into production and I just don’t have the time. Let Terry and Karl have all the fun :evil:

scall0way

:lol: I have lots of dust and chips I’ve saved for this very purpose, but have never actually tried it. Thanks for the step-by-step. I might have to actually give it a go now!

Ruthie57

Thanks for this thread Carol! And the pictures. I have a jar of mixed pastel dust. I just keep thinking maybe there is not yet enough to make an interesting grey!

nvcricket

Thanks for rating this Kathryn. I put the red cross on this post to indicate this is a way to save our pastels.:lol:

I just want the newbies know there is new life for these pastels, and how to go about rejuvenating them! Karl and Terry and Dianna Townsend can’t have all the fun!!!:)

I did a search for other threads, and came up with these for more information

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583518&highlight=making+pastels+dust

Donna Aldridge cool tips
                                    http://www.aldridgestudios.com/610-StudioTipsPstl.html

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487785&highlight=making+pastels+dust

Carol

robertsloan2

Thank you for all the photos! I read about this process and kept meaning to try it sometime, now that I see it the temptation is even higher. I save my old pill bottles in order to sort chunks too small to use by color and might have to go cleaning up my Dakota Traveller sometime to see if I have enough in a color group to make a new pastel. So far I haven’t, but that’s mostly because of how I paint and that I am pretty fussy about how I keep them.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Colorix

Thank you! I rated it too. I’ll search for photos, I tried a slightly different method once. (It worked… :-)

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

allydoodle

Great thread, I rated it too! I’ve taken pastels that were broken by accident and reconstituted them back to their original state, and once I took some dust and made it into a grey pastel. I find that the dust in the tray at the bottom of my painting has so many colors when it gets filled, I end up with gray dust! I never have separate colors. I think when I get small bits of pastel sticks I will save them in “like” color containers and give your method a try, it would be fun to end up with some new colors!

Chris - WetCanvas Guide, Pastel Forum

Deborah Secor

Good, clear instructions, Carol. :) I have a gallon ziplock bag of pastel bits and chips. It’s at least half full. I may offer it in the Swap shop and see if someone wants it for a project like this! :wink2:

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                                    Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                                    Gouache Blog

Finvarra

I’ve been saving my pastel dust too, and in the jar I’ve also put the bits of pastel pencil that break off – would these break down and resconstitute do you think, mixed in with the regular pastel dust?

Cheers
                                                        Lesley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.