Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Morning Mist on Charlie Lake

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Frances Obie

I have been experimenting with working on “black” surfaces. This one started with an acrylic underpainting using alizarin crimson and phthalo green. The reference was from last summer at a local lake – nice to remember on a -30 C day. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. 10″x 24″ on hardboard.

Frances

My Web Site
        water girl

Frances, the dark under painting really sings in this one. The ripples have wonderful movement and color.Well done.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

This is really lovely. Nice action but soft at the same time.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
            My website https://jocastilloart.com

Works for me.
            Was the surface black before your acrylic underpainting?

Esther

Frances Obie

Thank you Karen, Jo and Esther!
                Esther, the board was white before the acrylic underpainting.

Frances

My Web Site
                kedwards

The finished result is beautiful. I’d love to see a picture of the underpainting if you took one.

Kim
                    c&c is always welcome
                    http://KBEdwards.com

Frances Obie

Thanks Kim! here is the under painting.

Frances

My Web Site
                        Ron

This makes me yearn for spring and warmer weather….fishing…You captured the light hitting the top of the water perfect!

artelahe

Francis, this feels so wet! I love seeing your underpainting for this. I love working on dark surfaces, though most of my stock is at home (I’m ‘away’ for a couple of months in South Carolina). I am viewing it on my phone and can’t wait to see it on a larger screen.

I confess I study your work!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                AlyP
                                I have a white dog and lots of pastels...but are any of them the right color when I need them to be?

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

Frances Obie

Thanks Ron! Charlie Lake is a good spot for walleye and perch fishing. I’m looking forward to those warmer days too.
                                    Thank you so much Aly! I’m glad you like the under painting! Dark surfaces really help accentuate highlights, don’t they? I Appreciate the comments.

Frances

My Web Site
                                    PeggyB

Hi Frances – another lovely water painting. The movement and sparkle are great. Just one question. Am I seeing correctly three brownish circle-ish shapes in the water’s lower right third? What I see seems to break up the flow of the water action there, and they don’t look like rocks. Upon closer viewing, there are a few more of a different color and value in the general area above and to the left also; almost a “C” shape. Perhaps it is the photo or my iPad, but thought I’d point them out just in case.

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                                        www.peggybraeutigam.com

Frances Obie

Hi Peggy – Thank you for the comments!
                                            The shapes you are referring to are the results of me playing with a metalic stamp pad. The value of the metalic color seemed to be about right so I tried it….I was looking for different ways of getting “misty” effects. Maybe it interupts the flow of the water. Unfortunately you can’t cover up stamp pad marks with pastel. Oh well…that’s the risk we take when experimenting. I’ll try it out next time before “stamping” my painting!

Frances

My Web Site
                                            Donna T

You captured the look and feel of sparkling water, Frances, and the sense of motion too! Thanks for showing the underpainting; I was curious as to how detailed it was. What a great idea to experiment with a stamp pad! Any way to get the effect we need is worth trying.

Donna
                                                C&C Always Welcome

kedwards

Thank you for sharing the underpainting. That looks like a very appealing surface upon which to work!

Kim
                                                    c&c is always welcome
                                                    http://KBEdwards.com

Frances Obie

Thank you Donna! My goal with the under painting was just to establish mood and tone, not to get into detail. I agree…the only way to discover new ways of working is to experiment!

Frances

My Web Site
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.