WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Need to cover a signature for county fair

I've finally decided to just go ahead and enter a couple pieces of my artwork in the county fair, but they can't have any sort of signature/indication of who did the work, for judging purposes. Does anyone have any ideas for somewhat discreetly covering my signature/initials? One of my paintings is sealed acrylic on canvas, the other is sealed oil pastel on paper. I'm a bit worried about putting anything too sticky on that one though because I don't completely trust that nothing will get peeled off upon removal.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Need to cover a signature for county fair

What do people normally do when they submit to these fairs? Do they just not paint a signature? Or do they cover it up? If they cover it up, I would think it would be okay to just put a piece of cardstock over it that you attach to the side of the canvas.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Can you mat or frame it to cover the signature?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM

I can't remember what people usually do unfortunately. Had I known I'd want to enter this year I would've paid more attention. lol

I might be able to frame one of them over the signature, but I don't have time to get anything professionally matted/framed and the canvas would be a bit difficult to frame. Framing either of them would require covering part of the artwork because the signature is in the lower corner, but still on part of the painting.

Cardstock is probably the best idea compared to what I've thought of so far. Maybe for the pastel painting I could just lightly tape it and it would stay in place. I had asked about a small piece of a stick note over the phone and the lady said something more permanent would be better. But how permanent can you get when it's artwork? That sounds silly to me...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Lord of the Arts

Is the covered signature only for the judging?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious

That's what I was wondering, too. And, do they mean a digital image of it, or the original piece, or both? I'm not keen on the idea of someone telling me not to sign my work. One way or another, the image of it is going to get spread around the internet, and without even a signature, it's not of any benefit to the artist. I can see them wanting to do a "blind judging," but in that case, it should be allowable to simply obscure the name for just that purpose alone, not for images to be used to promote the show and spread around without attribution online.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious

I'm honestly not sure, but I think I'll ask that on set-up day. If I remember correctly, the artist name is included on an information card once the fair opens

It's a pretty small event, but I would like to get myself out there a little bit (if only just to give myself more motivation). I'm not going to not sign my work, but entries that show a name will be disqualified. It's by physical entry only, so I'll be setting up the original work on display and that's what they'll judge.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 12:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

If this is a rule, they have probably seen everything, and they know that artists often sign their work on the front. I would just get some paper the same color as the area, and use some kind of sticky stuff you can lift off later, and put it on there.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
Can you mat or frame it to cover the signature?

Hmmm, cover the signature. What a strange request; however, ArtyCzar has the perfect solution. Crop the image with a framed mat and simply cover over the signature.

I would not feel comfortable altering my artwork to Not have a signature. Maybe it is a judges thing, still seems silly to me.
Better yet...Good Luck on taking the big step in submitting your artwork. You should be proud, Best Wishes!
~T.J.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealityArt
Hmmm, cover the signature. What a strange request; however, ArtyCzar has the perfect solution. Crop the image with a framed mat and simply cover over the signature.

I would not feel comfortable altering my artwork to Not have a signature. Maybe it is a judges thing, still seems silly to me.
Better yet...Good Luck on taking the big step in submitting your artwork. You should be proud, Best Wishes!
~T.J.

Thank you!

I was able to just use a generic size mat and frame for my pastel drawing and it covered the initials and still looked nice. For the painting on canvas I used a little white sticker and covered that with masking tape because the sticker was falling off. -_- It doesn't look nice but they said it was fine at submission. I think the reasoning is for judging because the artwork is not posted on the website for their promotion, and I believe the artist names are displayed on an information card after the judging. It's just the local fair so I don't think anybody's worrying much about the normal proper way to display art. Although I might suggest coming up with a way to be fair without requiring signatures and initials to be covered.