WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Different Strokes Challenge, June 2019

When looking for movement in our work, let's not forget lessons from animation and humorous cartooning/illustration - they can help to loosen up, and provide life and motion to just about anything; the Disney backgrounds for their older animated movies are great examples - even the furniture in the dwellings have motion, although nothing actually moves (since the backgrounds are paintings).

This fellow does not have a background, but it's clear he's going someplace. Painted with tube acrylics, liquid acrylics, a little colored pencil to define the silhouette (which wasn't very effective!).

Painted in a sketchbook to photograph with phone and send to grandson, with a modest amount of cleanup. Completed the cleanup to silhouette the figure in Photoshop - Just to say, itís done! And also posting the original in sketchbook, which has even more motion than in the finished (cleaned-up in Photoshop) version.

Cathy
Attached Images

Last edited by brusher : 06-30-2019 at 03:30 PM.
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Whew! Iím astounded at the large response this month - The challenge was really a success, and something everyone, no matter what approach they have - can strive for.

Cristel - Yours has tons of dynamic movement in the dog and spashing water; and I can feel the grace in the eagleís wings, and also his feet.

JLL - I like this idea of the flower, with some of its petals blowing away in the breeze! It looks still, yet has movement!

Merriweather - The birdsí wings flapping in the wind has a lot of movement. A great image of nature.

Ron - Your dinghy sailor is great, and the movement back & forth, of the boat and rider does come through; a lot of tension I think.

Jim - Excellent as always; itís great that you demonstrated examples of different types of movement. This is not something that would occur to some of us on our own. In the first painting - Waves are difficult for many painters, but yours are fluid (well, itís water!), loose in their movement, and very specifially detailed without any stiffness. In the 2nd, yes itís subtle but very powerful, to see a ship make a focused beeline for wherever itís going.

Imogine - I like your campfire (and the forest trees by the way, too). Fire has very fast movement, and is hard to even follow with the eye. Itís a great challenge and youíve made it warm and the ashes add realism.

LavenderFrost - I like yours, ufnortunately not familiar with gaming programs (even the famous ones), but I can tell that you are portraying the ďlookĒ of motion in gaming. Nice!

Mayfly, Your clouds and water are great, and move very much - This looks like surrealism, is that your aim? If so, very successful!

Sheila - your wave looks full and splashy. Good portrayal, I think!

Federico - Your Eternal Movement, with the rose on lower right, is just magnificent! It reminds me of the look all graphic artist went for in the 1950ís for science fiction or otherworldliness . . . Really wonderful!! This would make a great book cover, or image for the opening theme of a movie or TV show.

Mary - I like your drop-sized fairies in the water. Really great and this would be an idea worth taking further, I think. Is that statement a quote? Is it Chinese? Itís a really captivating thought and image!

Cindy - Nice gentle movement in your whale. It really has a sense of peace in that scene.

Maureen - Kitten and yarn - Oops, watch out! In a few min. . . . We will see lots more ďyarnĒ and much less ďkittenĒ!! Ha ha!! Great suggestion of movement!

Old Hobbyist - Yours is closest to my heart, and so itís last for comment. I love this and it really reminds me of the 60ís/70ís ó itís very groovy!! Itís animation, much like was done for Sesame Street, Yellow Submarine (to a certain extent), and so on, and on. Itís as if we were seeing the single frames of animation all together, (stop-motion animation), or even thereís a surrealistic element to this, if not animation. What was your intention? The flower itself is really lush and luscious - very painterly!

I hope I haven't left anyone out. If so, please say. I'd like to look and comment. And we still have some time left - today!

Cathy
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 04:22 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Cathy, thanks so much for your painting and your input (I have a friend who lectures in Animation at our local Universit, she's brilliant and I remember all the 'cells' she made when first starting on the discipline!) .... I agree, Jim's work does remind us of thT!

Love your dinosaur .. hope the grandson did too!

Merri .... yes, I think we first started DS back in '05 .... lots done and it's OK to repeat a theme!

Because we have newcomers to the challenge it's worth reminding us all that we're non-judgemental and only give crits if asked for, and that all work should be done specifically for the current challenge.

Merri, I'll add that reminder later if you've already made your challenge.
A And
Again, thank you to all who participated this month, it's been great seeing all the 'different strokes'.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 06-30-2019 at 04:24 PM.
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Cathy - your dinosaur is lovely. I am sure the picture will be well appreciated by your grandson. He certainly looks like he is on the move and roaring. What a lovely painting.
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend

love the dinosaur!
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Cathy, nice work! A good example of movement conveyed in the creature's position.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.