Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture First attempt at portraitself portrait WIP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’ve had my arm twisted by a wonderful opportunity and so need to set up a little art based Instagram account. I thoughts I’d have a go at a self portrait for the accounts profile picture. All I have materials wise are josonja acrylics and watercolour art journals. I tend towards too much light/white in my painting. I wanted to play around with foliage in place of my hair as my current work are Australian native flowers and bugs.
    I think I’ve gotten a bit too heavy handed and ended up with too many layers as the paint isn’t sitting smoothly.
    Should I quit here are try again? Any CC is welcome

I haven’t painted or drawn in years

123harry

I like the lively expression. It doesn’t look at all heavy handed.

C&C always welcome.
        Instagram harry.hamill

Dea

Looks good so far, keep going
            Deanna

Deanna Field

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.

Thanks so much for the encouragement I’ll keep going then.

ArtistMelinda

oh no way you should quit here!
                It is really really great for a first try – wow
                If you are using watercolors then you would start light and work dark. For other media start dark and build up to your lights.
                It also help if you look at the reference photo in black and white so you can see the values better. If there is no change in value, the face won’t bend and it will look FLAT. The biggest mistake beginners make is using a washed out reference photo shot full face! Great portraits have good lighting that accents the shapes of the 3D face. Turning the head a bit helps our features stand out.

You got a good start by using a 3/4 face pose. But you have to find the point on the face where the “lightest light” strikes it. Everything else will grade darker away from this point. That helps the face turn.

You already have your lightest lights but certainly not your darkest darks. The rest of the face falls between these :)

You could benefit by doing a few “ball” drawings (plenty of videos on you tube). The face is the SAME thing only more feature. But the light will bend and turn on the face the same as the ball. Most portrait artists say they draw “shapes” not an eye or nose or mouth.

Hope this helps.

This is beautiful!!! Wow!!!

Sparro

Don’t be afraid to darken some of the shadows, not just adding black, but adding some browns to the skin tones to create the darker shadow values. It’s not half bad for a first try. If the paint’s not sitting smoothly, you can’t tell. I think it would look better if there were no green locks dangling on the left side, but just a smooth profile outline. Then put all the colorful flowers and foliage on the right.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.