WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#241   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Watercolor ATC Trade 2018

Ellen That is a really pretty book.

Virginia, I know what you mean moving every few years. Then when you don't you gather things. My daughter was born in the Navy and never got out. Well, till she retired. We just bought a new manufactured home for our old lot and the other house is still full of art supplies and books. I want to keep part of the house for storage so we have a spot for the two storage units. and my daughter's stuff when she retires again so she can move in and be my caregiver some day.

Cindy, We have trouble getting around too. I haven't gone to my prison club since I had Pneumonia last winter. We have other Toastmaster volunteers that can go. My husband uses the lawnmower to take the garbage out. That might be easier for you.

Everyone, I am working on my exchange and over half done I can start mailing when I get stamps.
  #242   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 10:40 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Virginia, I will take a look at Netflix to find that show.👍🏻
Ellen your journal cover looks beautiful! I too pictured you trying hard to pick up all those tiny beads!🙂🙃
Mary, I have to ask about the “prison club” you mentioned. I am not sure what you mean or what that is. Do you go into prisons and do something with public speaking/ Toastmasters with the prisoners?
Question to folks who have done atc trades before... What size or kind of envelopes do you mail them in? Postal service doesn’t allow something this small as regular mail, but a bit bigger is ok. Bit confusing when I am comparing sizes and shapes of envelopes to their diagrams. Any tips or suggestions that have worked for you?
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #243   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 PM

Ellen, your cover is stunning. I can't imagine how much time and skill goes into something like that. I remember when I worked at a t shirt shop and we had to color all the pin holes in the in the screen film with black ink before they could print the shirt. It was relaxing in an odd sort of way but it took a long time. Your beading reminded me of it.
I ordered the magnifiers. I hope they are the same. I get them on Tuesday. Maybe I shouldn't look at the cards I have finished with them.
Mary, I too was wondering what the prison club is.
Christine, I found some nice envelopes at Michaels and they also have some on Amazon, Dick Blick and Jerry's Artrama. They all run about the same price a couple of dollars for about 6. They are advertised for ATC's. I also found some mats (frames) for ATC's that come with an envelope. They come 6 to a pack and they are pretty nice.
  #244   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Thank you Flo!
Yes getting caught in up in detailed work can definitely take your mind off worries.👍🏻
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #245   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

I have done a variety of subjects, some abstract. Some people just don’t like abstract or even hate abstract. So I don’t really want them getting those cards if they don’t enjoy them. I quite like them or wouldn’t send them. They provide a lot of punch and already jump from the more realistic group. I think they would look great framed on a wall because of this.
So who is is up for an abstract piece? I need 2 people! 🙂🙃 Let me know pls!

Last edited by PaintBoss : 07-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.
  #246   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I've a bunch of the clear envelopes for putting the cards into but not sure if I have enough for all eleven. What do you all plan to do with them? Frame or what?

Also have done one that is an abstraction so easy to tell what it is, as that is not nonobjective (pure abstract). Good to know you like them, Christine! Yes, I am up for one of yours. Don't everyone speak at once...
  #247   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Awesome Kay! I kinda had a feeling you would be open to abstract/ nonrepresentational work!
I have really come around to it the last few years. Colours, line, etc. It can have its own magic.
Ok, I need one more person, step on up, or come onnnnn down....!

Last edited by PaintBoss : 07-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.
  #248   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Tacoma, Washington

Hails from United States

I don't understand abstract art so I've never been very attracted to it. I'm game for getting abstract art sent to me, though. I saw somewhere here on WC that abstract art is about how it makes you feel when you look at it, so that's what I'm going to do in the future.

My beadwork is really absorbing. I enjoy doing it. I've been beading for going on 30 years now. It's one of my passions. I'm also a fortune teller but not one who rips people off and has a neon "psychic" sign on my window. My interest is more diverse than that. It's been scientifically proven now (to my relief) that psychic things do exist. Up till fairly recent times there wasn't any scientific proof. Scientific proof of something requires many, many double blind studies. Now they've proven it and to me, it's fascinating. Chaos theory and quantum physics and all that stuff is just very interesting. The reason I say I'm relieved at the scientific proof is because I've always "known things" and wondered if I was nuts. I was raised in a fanatical religious family and I didn't fit in.

I don't usually mention my fortune telling unless I'm with my family or friends who are also involved in this. By family I mean my kids and grandkids. I hope it won't be a mistake to have mentioned it here. I'm really and truly a sane, ordinary person. I hope nobody will see me as anything other than that.

Anyway, I'll be happy to enjoy whatever art anyone cares to send to me. I'm glad to share with you all.
  #249   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Ellen you are a good sport, I will say that. But if anyone else likes abstract just say so, I really want you to enjoy your cards.
Ellen, you don’t bother me admitting that. Life has surprised and amazed me in ways not easily understood or quantifiable. I understand. We could talk! I have been laughed at in my face recounting things that happened to me. Frustrating. I have also had good friends who always thought I was smart or at least “sensible”, literally lose their respect for me if anything was mentioned. I could see their estimation of me dropping like a lead balloon. So I rarely talk about it. But sometimes I get amazing responses from people who finally realize they can talk or admit their experiences with someone...me. And it has happened to many, and all kinds of folks. But some people truly cannot believe or even entertain the idea without experiencing it themselves.
  #250   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Toastmasters has 16,400 clubs worldwide. Some prisons have clubs. Prison clubs are required to have outside members. Toastmaster clubs are run by the members and the treasure has to be an outside member because inmates can't handle money. We also have to have an outside member go in for the meeting. they aren't going to let them out on there own. We meet in the classrooms but hope to change to a larger room. I'd go in early when we met by the art room. The downside... it was at the other end of the prison and they had 535 ft halls.
I find Toastmasters helpful tool with my art. Like with my art presentation in Las Vegas. Is great for anyone wanting to sell art and still a good tool if you just want to tell a friend or neighbor about your art.
  #251   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Ellen abstract art can be many things, but sometimes there is beauty in the treatment of colour or line or texture. Or the interplay of these things. It doesn’t have to “be” anything. Like in realistic or respresentational work where a hand is suppose to look like a hand for example. Although you can see anything thrown on a canvas and labelled art, so it can get a bad reputation...
I usually show off my exchanges for a month. Everyone really enjoys seeing them it seems. Then I put cards in an album. Will do the same with these. But perhaps frame a few as they are little paintings. My other cards were Christmas themed so naturally they get put away when the Christmas tree comes down each year.
Mary, my mother in law went to Toastmasters and got a lot out of it. I could see it helping a person speak to others and present their thoughts and ideas well, whether in art or anything.
That is great you go into jails, and they have that for the inmates. It is always good to try to keep busy, better yourself and from what I remember my mother in law saying, you start off speaking from your life experiences. That might be helpful too.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 07-16-2018 at 09:29 PM.
  #252   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Ellen Most of my abstracts are from mistakes. When I make something and I can't identify it I ask my husband. It's like I'm a psychiatrist and he is supposed to identify an ink blot. Once I had a flower that turned into an abstract surfer and it sold well.