WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Solvent Free Painting

Harold Roth, as far as different media goes, your experiences mirror my own. Over the years I have learned a few little things about how to achieve the effects I want in other media, but nothing was as easy as oil paints. Cleaning up with an oil rinse followed by soap and water is easy, but utilizing a jar of oil for the bristles to sit in is even easier. I do not even need to wash my studio brushes, have not in years, just wipe them out well, rinse with oil and place the brushes submerged to half way up the ferrule in my oil jar and held from completely submerging with an office clip. Been doing this for over 3 years now and brushes look basically new.

Mechanically, nothing is more simple than oil painting, we as artists are the ones that make it more difficult than it really is.

Delofasht
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:57 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

People frightened to use oil paint. They are thinking, that oil paint is scary. They think to start with watercolors or pencils. They are worrying about drawing lines in oils. When they started with pencils, they are completely discouraged with the difference between drawing as making whole painting with pencils LINES and real oil painting in which our world no longer can be described as a contour instead of gradient. Whole their life, they studied to draw contours, therefore they can't paint from life, they are looking for how to make contours from imagination. Old scary books also recommends to study drawing instead of study painting. For most of my friends, from "drawing" to "painting" they have terrible barrier. And such barrier they can't break or pierce.

Last edited by Gigalot : 07-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Acrylics works very well for abstract work. I like messing around with it.

But I find it pretty unsatisfying to use for anything else.

All the issues with using acrylics are related to how it dries.

The fast drying makes making a soft edge difficult.
The fast drying means you are forced to use a stay-wette palette or put out new paint every 5 minutes.
The fast drying ruins your brushes if you don't dunk them into water within 5 minutes.
The fast drying evaporates the water, leaving a plastic binder behind that tend to look rather matte.

Gouache and watercolor have the property of fast drying, but unlike acrylics it can be rewetted.

Last edited by kinasi : 07-16-2018 at 05:18 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
When they started with pencils, they are completely discouraged with the difference between drawing as making whole painting with pencils LINES and real oil painting in which our world no longer can be described as a contour instead of gradient. Whole their life, they studied to draw contours, therefore they can't paint from life, they are looking for how to make contours from imagination. Old scary books also recommends to study drawing instead of study painting. For most of my friends, from "drawing" to "painting" they have terrible barrier. And such barrier they can't break or pierce.

It's mostly the teacher's fault. There should be a point at which drawings increase in size and one moves to charcoal. Where you trade line for mass.

But that's not longer taught, people want to immediately jump from a little sketchbook into painting.

If they're told that they first will spend a year doing charcoal, they would run out of the classroom, yet that's exactly how any good art school still teaches it, you move from pencil to charcoal, only then do you move to painting. From line to mass and value, and only then do you move on to color.

Schools that don't do this just end up with students who work in fear each time they stand in front of a blank canvas. They are used to putting lines on a piece of paper and now need to fill a large canvas. They've never done a life size drawing, they never touched charcoal, never touched pastel, of course they're scared of painting.

Last edited by kinasi : 07-16-2018 at 05:39 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
For me, Art means Oil on Canvas. Some watercolor paintings fro the past era looks gorgeous, but most contemporary watercolors I can see in "how to paint" books, looks like a mud done with burnt sienna and ultramarine blue. I guess, someone "watercolor king" or "world's watercolorist's government" decided to push all available watercolorists to sienna-ultramarine cool/warm road.
But such ultramarine-sienna mud is awful!
I did this awful terrible muddy watercolor with only ultra blue and sienna:

It was so much easier to paint than with oils and I am not kidding this time.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 07-16-2018 at 06:04 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Sketches are easy in any medium, Sid. That is a sketch.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
I did this awful terrible muddy watercolor with only ultra blue
Zorn missed a real, Sid's "Two Paints" limited palette. He used too many colors and couldn't touch proper limitation. Why did he collected 250 paint tubes with 200 cobalt blue tubes but couldn't achieve cool/warm color harmony?
If so, then Sid is a "watercolor king", who did 2 color harmony regulation in contemporary art!

Last edited by Gigalot : 07-16-2018 at 07:59 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Why did he collected 250 paint tubes with 200 cobalt blue tubes but couldn't achieve cool/warm color harmony?
Oils are too much work, but his watercolors sing!

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 07-16-2018 at 09:13 PM.