Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Lukas Extra-Fine Gouache – Any tips?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Devorahdraws

Local art store is moving so has a store-wide 50% off sale. I’ve been looking to add to my gouaches and found pretty much only Lukas Extra-Fine left! I now have the set of 12 (20 ml) and then another 9 or so colors that were also on clearance.

Does anyone else use Lukas EF Gouache? Are they at all rewettable if I poured them into pans? Or more crumbly? did you have any pitfalls with anything? I’ve heard the white is a bit yellow-y tinted, but anything else to be aware of? The sale was way too good to pass up, although I know people tend to prefer Holbein or M. Graham…

(The shop owner was amazing. He comp’d a few things for me just because.) I’ve got to make basically this same thread over in Oils, because I also got Lukas water-miscable oils on steep sale too ahaha.

I have only put Da Vinci Titanium White Gouache in pans (to use for watercolor highlights). It helps prevent crumbling and assists rewetting to mix a little glycerin into the paint before putting it into a pan: about one drop per half pan, two drops per full pan. You may or may not need to do this with Lukas EF, which I have never used.

C&C is welcome.
        Richard

Devorahdraws

I have only put Da Vinci Titanium White Gouache in pans (to use for watercolor highlights). It helps prevent crumbling and assists rewetting to mix a little glycerin into the paint before putting it into a pan: about one drop per half pan, two drops per full pan. You may or may not need to do this with Lukas EF, which I have never used.

My only concern is I’ve heard glycerin makes the gouache dry a little more shiny. BUT I have enough gouache paint to try it out in the pans regardless! maybe I’ll start with a little bit sans glycerin and then add some in later with fresh paint if it crumbles in the pan. :)

ntl

I was given several tubes of lukas designer gouache, and a few tubes of EF.
                I have never used gouache at all until a few days ago, and still have not used the EF. Several designer tubes were solid hard. I cut the bottom off the tube to the level of the rock of paint, and (because I had read a bit on the gouache thread) dug some out of 4 tubes to do a painting. TOTAL experiment: hard dry small chunks of paint, to be used on cheap mixed media paper that already had some paint on it.
                I added drops of water to the chunks (and a bit of time) and they did reconstitute. That was a few days ago. I just now added a couple of drops of water to the dried gouache on my plastic palette, and it does appear to have become fluid paint again. I am talking of the designer. I don’t know the grade of the Designer vs the EF.
                The fresh gouache did cover some of what was there with two coats but I think I”ll have to add a third coat in some areas.

But apparently, the advice is to put out only what you think you will use, because “the fresh paint is richer looking than the reconstituted.”

[…snip…]
                But apparently, the advice is to put out only what you think you will use, because “the fresh paint is richer looking than the reconstituted.”

I don’t know of any gouache artist who uses dried gouache in pans. I only do that with white gouache for watercolor highlights and such. (I hate masking fluid.)

C&C is welcome.
                Richard

ntl

…I added drops of water to the chunks (and a bit of time) and they did reconstitute. That was a few days ago. I just now added a couple of drops of water to the dried gouache on my plastic palette, and it does appear to have become fluid paint again.

I want to clarify: I dug out small bits of hard paint, added a few drops of water, waited a little–5-10 minutes, then painted. When finished, I closed my palette which still had wet paint on it. To respond to your question, (which I really did not do) I tonight, several days later, added 1-2 drops of water to the dried dug out paint which had dried again. It appears to have reconstituted a second time.

ntl

I’m using this old dried paint to learn with, to practice with. It’s good. :)

Devorahdraws

I don’t know of any gouache artist who uses dried gouache in pans. I only do that with white gouache for watercolor highlights and such. (I hate masking fluid.)

I know Roz Stendhal uses pan poured gouache, and James Gurney has posted a review of pan dried as well. Hence why I asked! Roz tends to be more critical of things than I am but she also uses her papers more precisely than I do as a beginner, and she has more experience with more kinds of gouache. Her brands seem to be mostly Schmincke or M Graham for gouache, but neither of those were sold in the store in the first place, nevermind on super sale. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.