Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking I can’t figure this out…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RO’M

So… I’m going to do a reduction print. I have a pencil drawing on my linoleum. I do the first printing-then I have to wash the linoleum so I can do more cutting. Meanwhile, quite a bit of the pencil drawing has washed away. Once, I tried using a sharpie on the linoleum, so I wouldn’t have this issue, but it came out on the print. I must be missing something or doing something wrong; I’m self-taught and I can’t seem to find this addressed anywhere. Can anyone help? I use caligo safe wash relief ink if that matters….

Rachel

ic.Art

Have you kept a copy of the coloured drawing on paper so you still know where the different colours are meant to be? Yes, you do lose the drawing on the block but the next parts of the cutting are drawn on again.

I have one drawing coloured in so I know what the finished image will be and one drawing, lines only, on tracing paper which I use to transfer the next lines for the next cutting for each colour change.

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

RO’M

I do keep a colored copy and also use it for the lines. It sounds like it’s fine to re-draw lines- so i will just proceed as you suggest. I was curious to know if anyone had another method -or used something else besides pencil. Thanks for your answer!

Rachel

DougThomas

I know I’m slightly late to this thread, but you can still use a Sharpie marker.

Does it transfer? Yes it does, but keep in mind that what transfers will be printed over when you print each subsequent layer.

I remember thinking the same thing when I first started them. Then after printing a couple layers I realized that they just get printed over.

The only issue I could really see with it is if you are using transparent colors.

RO’M

Thanks-I’ll try that again sometime and see how it goes~

Rachel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.