Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Know Anything about the Best Wallmount Easel?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Larry Seiler

Retired from the physical art teaching classroom…converting a room at home into a studio. Its a smaller space…and the wall mount easel is touted as ideal. When not used, can ratchet up flat against the wall. I’ve heard it has to be hung right to give room for its height expansion or lowering. Just wondering what some might know from experience…???

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
        Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

Tonalist

No experience Larry… But it looks cool!

woody

Larry Seiler

Thanks Woody…I agree. The quality of how this is made…utilizing space has its appeal for me. But…I’m concerned there are considerations I may not be aware of that might make the difference if its the direction I want to go…

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS

kristiekoz

I have been looking for this sort of thing myself. Do you have the link to this Larry?

Larry Seiler

Dick Blick…Jerry’s Artarama…and Richeson carry it…made by Best Easels…called their Wallmount Easel. Check out a number of retailers for best prices…

Larry Seiler

Good luck Krisite

kristiekoz

Thanks Larry!

abstrart

I have no experience with this easel, but I’ll share what I do have. I took some 1x2s and mounted them to the wall, into the studs. Then I took two 24×48″ pieces of 1/8th inch plywood and mounted them onto the 1x2s. This gives me a nice large 48×48″ surface to work with. Then I have another 1×2 that is 48″ long that I can ‘slide’ up and down any height I want to set a canvas or panel on, I just attach it with some small C clamps. At the top I have another short piece of 1×2 that I clamp on to keep the panel from moving forward and falling off, it also sits further back than the panel itself so none of my painting surface ever gets covered like it usually does with an easel setup.

I also really like this setup because I can take some binder clips and clip any size paper I might be painting on and I don’t need any other support for it since the plywood supports the paper. I also have various other things clipped to it at all times, like color studies and so on.

Cost wise this is really cheap, maybe $25 or less and a little work to make it all come together.

Anonymous

Hi Larry, congratulations on retiring from teaching, I always envied those students who were lucky and got to be in your class.

I don’t know anything about them but I have seen a few homemade examples that were easily made. Here is a video demo of one that this guy made. Of course it doesn’t have the tilting ability like the one in your pic. That seems like it would be a very nice feature to have and could maybe be constructed too.

Ron Francis

That easel does look good!
                                            My mouth is salivating just a little.

Ron
                                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

klopperjohnny

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I have never thought of a wall mounted easel. I have no experience with these but they must be great space savers. My initial worry about this type of easily is that if for example you like paining from real life, where would you setup a still life for example? You flat against the wall. Even if you work from say a computer screen you will still have to crank your neck. I then did a google image search and its quite fascinating seeing some artist’s wall mounted easel setups. It looks like they are doing just fine, so I may be quite wrong …

google images link

I was impressed with this wall mounted easel setup, I like his lights too!

“A portrait is a likeness about which there is something wrong with the mouth” - John Singer Sargent[/I]

Larry Seiler

I have the deluxe Lobo Best Easel…should I need one to move about…Johnny…and have given some thought too about the neck thing. Depends of course how one works. Robert Henri would have the model sitting on the first lower floor and his paint students easel up on the fourth to force them to use visual memory and remember only essential things. Can you imagine? I have also turned my back to my subject painting outdoors Plein air to force the same thing…but without running four flights of steps. Hahaha

The beautiful thing about an easel that closes flush to the wall and uses no “floor” space…is another easel that sat in front of it for whatever other purposes could do so unhindered.

But…in a smaller studio space…it alows a bit more room to back up to see the painting some back…and work larger.

When I first painted in studio (17 years)…my habit was mostly sitting. Since my painting outdoors primarily since the mid 90’s…I like standing. Getting away from the painting…being at arms length. Sitting…I observed from my students …there is a tendency to utilize the arm from the elbow out. Painting from the shoulder out happens more standing…a freer bolder attack. Standing…I would think less crook of the neck or side issues.

kylesurges

It looks like a nice quality easel :thumbsup: . My only concern is it’s lack of mobility. I think I prefer an easel than I can move around according to my still life.

ps – I really enjoyed seeing your paintings on your website! Your landscapes remind me of the sights I see on the ATV trips my dad and I take every year in Wisconsin to ride the trail systems. Its truly a beautiful state and you definitely captured that in your paintings. I have to admit that I’m a bit envious of your technique. It would be a struggle for me to dab paint on the canvas and not move it around and blend it with a brush.

Larry Seiler

I found another easel too..about 1/3rd the cost of the Best wallmount…called the Rue easel. Jerry’s Artarama carries them…three width sizes. The mid size will work a painting up to 40″ in height. A small taboret or dresser with plate of glass on top for a palette set beneath might be ideal.

Larry Seiler

Thanks Kyle. Mobility options may be an issue if one doesn’t have other easels. As described above…I have the Best Lobo Deluxe. As a Plein air painter… Haha…I know about benefits of mobility…and appreciate what you are saying.

Back in my wildlife hay day years 1979-1990…I made a stand easel from 2″x 4″s …1″x 3″ s with a peg board surface. Quite the opposite of anything aesthetic…just practical. Can’t tell you the number of reporters that stood in my studio space in front of that thing…taking pictures. But…with insert brackets I was able to angle the painting…turn it any way and work. Acrylics back then so literally rest my arms on the surface painting detail.

My space is about 14’x 16’…and one side will have my books and computer station where I play and record music. The other side my painting. Practicality has to win out here… :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Know Anything about the Best Wallmount Easel?’ is closed to new replies.