WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Basic 102 - Class 13 - Trees

This is a wonderful class. I love drawing trees, so I hope that I'll be able to participate "live" in this class, rather than after everyone else has moved on as I did with the earlier ones. But, regardless, there is so much to learn in these tutorials. Thanks, Diane!

My Blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 AM
australia

Hails from Australia

Me too diane dido too all that was said before by tyree and the others . thank you for the classes and I would bye that book by mike but its heaps for us in aussie its about 70 aussie dollars . too much for poor little old me . thanks jasmine by the way im going too try again the sky .
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 08:30 AM

Hails from United States

Rafael - Welcome to Wetcanvas!
Quote:
I think you are right tree is a intimidating subjet but I try with your support. Sorry for my english

If we treat the subject matter of trees like any other subject matter, they aren't as intimidating as they might seem. Understanding what you seeing, breaking it down into smaller pieces, dissecting and figuring out a pencil stroke that best represents the texture of bark and leaves. These are all steps we have been using throughout these lessons. You really can draw anything if these steps are followed.

And your English is just fine! I only speak and write one language, so I envy others that can communicate in multiple languages.

Judi - oh...gosh....thank you so much for the BIG thank you! It has been my pleasure to share my techniques with others. It's the participation of the students that make these classes so successful!

Chloe - participation can be at many different levels and these classes are on-going. At any time, feel free to go back and do some of the projects. I hope you will be able to join us as we romp around exploring trees!!

Tyree - Thank you to being such a devoted student! I'm glad my lessons have been able to assist others in drawing. Trees have to be my favorite subject matter - so this should be fun!

Mothsailor - Dave - I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoy drawing trees! I can't seem to get enough of them. Each one is so unique and begs to be drawn!!

Jasmine - Since not everyone has the opportunity to purchase Mike's book, we really learn to appreciate the opportunity that Wetcanvas offers. I went to college to study art and I have to say that the WC Basic 101 and 102 classes surpass any college training that I had! I really appreciate the opportunity to be a part of them!

THANKS EVERYONE! So let's start drawing!

Diane

BTW - a pdf file of this class is now available on my website! Just go to the tutorials tab, select Trees and at the bottom of the last page, you can download the file!

Last edited by DianeWright : 03-19-2007 at 08:55 AM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Central Florida's East Coast

Hails from United States

Hello, Diane--thank you for the wonderful class on trees--doing the close-ups is another first for me. Are we supposed to post in this thread when we have completed the assignment?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Are we supposed to post in this thread when we have completed the assignment?

YES! Definitely post your work in this thread. If you have any questions, be sure to ask!

Diane
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Here is my first attempt--I know it needs some work, but not sure just what!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Hails from United States

Joane - wow you work quickly! This is really good. You have developed a nice cylindrical tree trunk and the roots are pushing themselves into the ground. The only thing I might recommend is giving some of the bark some highlights (the sun catching little pieces of bark). This will just add more to the roundness of the tree. Also just a little more grass behind the tree roots... But this is nice just as it is.

Diane
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Todos Santos,Baja California, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

What a great surprise! Class is on! I was looking forward to the tree part. Diane, gave us soooo much information, you wrote the book on drawing trees! we will never look at a tree in the same way again. Thank you so much
Maybe I can do an elefant tree for one of the asignments. I just love those, and have been wanting to draw one.

I will probably need today to read and research all you info... but just wanted to sign in...

frieda
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Thanks, Diane--this one did go quite fast--your tutorial is great! I spent my Sunday evening engrossed with trees!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Hails from United States

Hi Frieda! Welcome to class! An elephant tree, huh? That will be interesting!

Joane - That's what I like to hear....that I'm causing others to become obsessed about trees

Diane
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Basic 102 - Class 13 - Trees

Diane,
Thank you, I can surely use this classroom. I too, learned alot from your other classrooms. I can do trees in pen and ink, but graphite is always a challange for me. I just got Mike Sibleys book, so now I have a reference to your classrooms. Thanks, I will post assignment 1 this week. Take care....
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM

Hails from Mexico

The elephant tree (torote), is very medicinal, similar to neem or tee tree. A tincture of the bark, leaves, berries...will cure about anything. It is very abundant in the Baja, quite rare in the States. Grows very slowly, needs to be respected and protected.
This one was photographed in october, after we had a LOT of rain, so it is uncharacteristically green. I will have to go out with the camera, ...

there are actually two varieties. It is the "torote colorado" with beautiful golden bark, that is medicinal.
hope you don't mind, could not help myself, it is a beautiful tree.
frieda
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Hails from United States

Frieda - this one will be perfect to draw for the last assignment. With the lighter bark and the small, close bundles of leaves, and those beautiful curving branches, and the shadows....it will be a wonderful challenge!!!

May I take a try at drawing it too?? If you can't tell, I love trees.....

If you get a chance to take more photos, be sure to take photos of the bark and leaves upclose. This will help you to understand the tree better. You might want to try drawing them for the bark and leaf assignments too.

Diane

Last edited by DianeWright : 03-19-2007 at 04:59 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Hails from Mexico

Diane,
Quote:
May I take a try at drawing it too??
Of course !!! I will go and get some more photos, though. The bark is very characteristic.
Quote:
If you can't tell, I love trees.....
Yep, I can tell
frieda
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

frieda...that is a beautiful tree!!! glad you posted it!!! joane...what a great start...your fast..but it really looks good!!! tyree