WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 102 - Class 10 - Rocks

Judi - I see you are still cheating and using those magic pencils. As usual your drawing looks better than the reference.

frieda - looking good . Now how about some red rocks to go along with the cactus. You could do a desert landscape series. Oops see you just went from desert to ocean. Keep going. It looks good from here!!

Jeanette [quote=IslanderNL]Here's a rock I did this evening to get a feel for it.[/quote] I think you got the feel.

Connie - Love your rock. Lots of nooks and grannies.

tyree - Looking good!

Tammy Jo - FWIW I don't think it is too dark. I think it is too much mid tone.

Dot -Your post is too small for my old eyes.

Hi Les ( soon to become known as Les the Lurker.)

Okay here is my rock effort. Done on a 4.5 x 11 in scrap of Stonehenge. Using H (don't have any F) and 2B .5mm mech and 4H and 2H clutch. I like the contrast but looking at it on the screen I can see I really only got texture on the bigger rocks. Also the highlights on the top of the rocks is too even and looks more like an outline.

Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by jmfletch : 01-26-2007 at 09:46 AM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Basic 102 - Class 10 - Rocks

Okay... Here is the series of rocks, worked on it for 2 hours this morning.
My rocks look "impressionistic". That electric sharpener takes some getting used to. Tyree, I like your rock very realistic, Connie, I like the second one pretty good textures!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Todos Santos,Baja California, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
it can take days to complete one rock. That's okay

wow, that is such an eyeopener for me. A very different approach, when you settle down with a drawing that will take you weeks rather than days... I really enjoy it, too. Another breakthrough withthis lesson is the use of a chisel edge,... I had no idea!
Thank you Diane, for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Joe, you've got it! very nice rocks, love the texture.
tammy Jo, jou are having a lot of fun with the electric eraser. I haven't found one of those here yet... I am glad I found some white tak, little chicklet sized pieces, I knead them all together into a nice sized eraser.
frieda
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

thanks diane...i will try the circular method on my rock series...frieda..i think its wonderful your spending hours on them..this last one shows great depth to it..tammy jo..great darks on both..i do like the rock series one...dot..lol..moss..looks like a rock with good tonal to me..joe..yours has a wonderful smooth blended look that i want to achieve in my next one..good job all!!! tyree
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Basic 102 - Class 10 - Rocks

Frieda, yeah its fun using the electric eraser, but its not mine, I borrowed the one from my husbands office! Wonder how long before he notices its gone!!!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi all. I didn't realize that the rocks lesson had started, so quickly came down from the clouds and have tried a rock. I now realize how little drawing I've done and am having a bit of a struggle - but fun at the same time. Does this look like a rock to anyone? I can stand the truth

I think it makes a great bear's paw
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Hails from Mexico

an update on my rock exercise... a ong way to go,...I will follow Dianes advise and get my dark pencil into all those cracks... anyway, that is the idea. So far, I am extatic, I never thought I would dare tackle this. Any criticism will be so much appreciated, I am soo hooked, and have sooo much to learn.

Joe, a desert series sounds like fun, I'll go out and find some shrubless piece of desert. Sky, rocks and cacti.
ruth, glad you made it back down... yep, that's a rock.

frieda
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Red face Re: Basic 102 - Class 10 - Rocks

Decided to add something to my group of rocks. It kinda looked funny just sitting there by themselves, so I finished the scenery.
Frieda: Very nice, I like the jagged textures to your rocks!!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi all, Good one joe and promising Ruth, a bit of tweeking methinks, frieda ,what a challenge.
Able to do a little sketching today propped up in armchair but still restrictive. very frustrating being helpless. Tomorrow's another day. back to the armchair now, gravity takes over.
Enjoy
Les
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Oh, man, I'm late, but this looks very interesting. Diane I found it from your website where your amazing work is displayed. I have been somewhat busy the last few months, but I'm trying to get back to it and I'm kind of sick of portraits so I think I'm going to do some other things, like rocks!

KAC
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Hails from Mexico

Hi Kenny, I had been missing your portraits... figured you got caught up in the busy-ness of life...
Cannot wait to see what you do with rocks, ( and clouds... that was a great class as well)
frieda
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Wentzville, Mo.

Hails from United States

Hi every one great class Diane been busy with other things but hope to have something to post soon.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast
Garson, Manitoba, CANADA

Hails from Canada

Hello everyone Another great lesson, Diane! Very enjoyable....don't think I've ever given so much thought to a rock, but here my first attempt. I found more difficult than I thought it would be...maybe it's the cheap paper I am using ...ya, right.......that's it. off to practise some more...

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone, Here's my attempt at rock drawing I think it looks flat rather than 3 dimensional . Any suggestions are welcomed. Connie M

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
Garson, Manitoba, CANADA

Hails from Canada

Judi - Your rocks...totally ROCK!!!! And look at you, goin' for brownie points with the bricks and wood. I also have Mike's book and have to agree, it is definately worth it!

Frieda - Great job on the first one. I finately don't see any potatoes there! And your second project.... you sure don't pick the easy ones, do you! You are doing a fabulous job on those craggly jagged rocks. I won't be attempting anything that difficult for a while yet, you're an inspiration.

Jeanette - Lovely. I have to agree with Joe, I think you definately got the feel for it

Connie - Excellent tone and depth on the real life rock....and your second one looks great, too. I think the big rock has especially nice highlights and shadows. Very 3-D!

Tyree - Awesome job!!! Coming along very nicely!

Tammy Jo - Boy, you are turning out the rocks! Great job on all of them.

Dot - Love the grasses and shading on the ground. It sure looks like a rock to me.

Joe - Nicely done! Love the texture you created. My favorite is the one in front of the grass....I see a little vein runnng through the midtone area and into the shadow....very well done!!!!

Ruth - Yes, I think it looks like a rock. Just need to punch up the darks a wee bit....then again, could be my monitor. I know what you mean about the struggle. I thought, how hard could it be to draw a rock? Well, serves me right I guess....heck of a lot harder than it looked, I say. But, I'm finding it fun as well

Connie M - Great start, you got it!

Hope I didn't miss anyone?