WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:01 AM
WC! Guide
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States
“BROKEN PROMISES” (The trail where they cried.)

“They made us many promises,
More than I can remember.
But they kept but one -
They promised to take our land…
And they took it.”

- Chief Red Cloud

This is the start of a long journey, one that I hope you enjoy and one that I hope you learn from. This is going to be a hard one for me for I see they wrong which was done and it hurts me. But if you bear with me I will try to take you on a journey of not only art but a bit of history as well, for I plan to fill the gaps between with a look into what was a great nation, a proud people and “Broken Promises.“

I hope you will watch as I tell their story. There will be a total of twenty four drawings which I will do for this, so I hope that you will stay with me on this one.

The first I’ve started off with “Three Eagles” (Nez Perce) (Which some of you have already seen) and I will finish this series with “Crazy Horse” (Sioux) I'm saving Crazy Horse for last because there are no photos or drawings of him known. If I get through this series I hope his spirit will guide me enable to get his likeness.

These will all be done with Derwent Drawing Pencils on Strathmore Drawing Paper and will be 16X20 or there about.

I'm reposting Chief Three Eagles as to keep the series complete and in one thread.

The next in this series is “Chief Wolf Robe.” (Cheyenne)

Wolf Robe, was a chief of the southern Cheyenne Indian tribe. During the late 1870s, Wolf Robe's tribe was forced to leave the open plains and relocate on a reservation in Oklahoma.
"Wolf Robe is a Southern Cheyenne and is believed to be the one whose profile was used on the "Indian Head Nickel" Although several different Indians were originally chosen, Wolf Robe is the one most likely used because of the striking resemblance.

Thanks for lookin'.
Peace,
AL

Last edited by alfredart : 01-19-2007 at 03:09 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: “BROKEN PROMISES” (the series) WIP

What an interesting series! Especially with the history. There isn't much more praise to give the artwork that hasn't already been said, Al. This is a great series and one I'm sure we all will be watching,
Ken
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 AM

This is a wonderful idea. I'm especially looking forward to the history lesson on all of this. I've been reading about the westward expansion of whites during the revolutionary period and I find it amazing (definitely not in a good way) that there was so much greed and disregard for the Native Americans by the Europeans that settled along the eastern seaboard.

By what I see above, I'll be anxious to see more of your work. One of my favorite artists is a gentleman by the name of Charles Banks Wilson. His work included a lot of Oklahoma Native Americans (Quapaw) and his lithographs show so much expression in his subjects.

I am very excited about seeing more of your steps along your journey and appreciate you letting us follow along.

gary.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast
Fulton, Indiana

Hails from United States

Al,

I am of two minds regarding whether I should say this in a public forum, but here goes, and let the rest of the world know I'm crazy.

I have no doubt that the Grandfathers and Uncles whose portraits you are doing are watching and blessing this series. The sundancer whose advice and input I have counted on with my own attempts at doing the portrait of Tashunka hears Spirit quite clearly. I am going to send her a link to this thread so that she can watch along!

She is an artist in her own right, doing Medicine Wheel paintings that are bright, clear and wonderful!! I am thinking, also, of sending a link to my Shawnee Grandmother, whose painted gourds I value as though they were the very best Beleek china or Waterford Crystal.

When I started my own series, and I am not as prolific or nearly as skilled as you, it was with the idea that these men be seen as humans, with families, loves, needs , hearts and souls! This series should accomplish that. I am counting on your portraiture skills to show what I have wanted in my heart to do. You would laugh at me, my brother, for I have a tear in my eye as I write this!

The friend who asked for the Four Chiefs wanted more of the "Cigar Store" Indian type of portraits, and I told him I could not do that. Thank you, thank you from the very depths of my soul for this series!!

One other thing. You are teaching me, as you do your own work, what I needed to see in the use of your "Magic" Derwents, in how to portray these precious Elders with hearts and souls! You go, Al! I am watching with much pleasure as this unfolds!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

BTW, do you remember making a comment about that medallion Red Fish is wearing in the portrait posted a the axel-jacob website? There is a history behind those medals, and Wolf Robe is portrayed as wearing one of them. I had not known this, and I post it as information, not as a sign of approval or disapproval, since the promises that were implied with the presentation of such things were, as you will show, never kept! Learned something new already!!

http://www.nps.gov/archive/jeff/indian_peace.html

Wolf Robe is beautiful!!!!!
Suzi
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
Metamora, Illinois

Hails from United States

Al.... Incredible.
I usually am one of many words and joke around often.....
not this time.
You have my upmost Respect.
You wonder if we will "stay with you on this"?
Right behind ya Man.....right behind ya.
Your style....ability....and focus will make these portraits come to life.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Todos Santos,Baja California, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

incredible! You bring these people to life!
Maybe we can learn from them yet! They were the ones who knew how to live and respect life. Put a portrait of any of our politicians today next to any of these wise elders, and you may cry , cry for all that's lost, cry for the path of destruction we are still choosing.
frieda
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

A great start Al, and you make it all the more interesting with the history of each. This type of history is a passion of mine.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
WC! Guide
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Thanks so for the kind words of this work. This thread will be different than anything thats come across WC in the past. I do hope that all will learn something from this.
Suzi, a tear... yes I know.
Peace Medals doesn't seem to be a good replacement for what was taken. Food for their starving children would have been a better gift.

"Look at me - I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of the nation. We do not want riches, but we want to train our children right. Riches will do us no good. We could not take them with us to the other world. We do not want riches. We want peace and love".

-Chief Red Cloud - Sioux

Frieda, you are right, nothing has changed.
Allan, Mary, so glad to have you along.
Gary, Ken, thanks so much for stopping by.

Peace,
AL

Last edited by alfredart : 01-19-2007 at 03:39 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
WC! Guide
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

"The ground on which we stand is sacred ground. It is the dust and blood of our ancestors. On these plains the Great White Father is Washington sent his soldiers armed with long knives and rifles to slay the Indian. Many of them sleep on yonder hill where Pahaska - White Chief of the Long Hair [General Custer] - so bravely fought and fell.
A few more passing suns will see us here no more, and our dust and bones will mingle with the same prairies. I see as in a vision the dying spark of our council fires, the ashes cold and white. I see no longer the curling smoke rising from our lodge poles. I hear no longer the songs of the women as they prepare the meal.
The antelope have gone; the buffalo wallows are empty. Only the wail of the coyote is heard. The white man's medicine is stronger than ours; his iron horse [the railroad] rushes over the buffalo trail. He talks to us through his "whispering spirit" [the telephone].
We are like birds with a broken wing. My heart is cold within me. My eyes are growing dim - I am old."
-Chief Plenty Coups - Crow

Peace,
AL

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Resting in Peace
Fayetteville, NC

Hails from United States

Looking great Al. I have done a lot of Indian portraits but none as fine as yours. I'd also like to thank suzi for the info on the web site.

jim
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Fulton, Indiana

Hails from United States

Here is another website rich with wonderful photos of the First People. You are most welcome, Jim. My pleasure.

http://www.firstpeople.us/

Al~Migwetch, (Shawnee:"My heart is full of gratitude!")

I look at this portrait of Wolf Robe, and I am speechless. I have no idea why such a portrait reaches into the heart so much more than a photo, whether it is that it bears the mark of the artist, or whether there is just something so "machine" driven about the camera, I don't know, but this is absolutely beautiful.
Suzi
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Baton Rouge

That is an amazing project you have taken up Al. Both in significance and in scope. 24 drawings,just-wow.

I would like to sit and learn as well. Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

~Cassie~
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:17 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Stunning Al. And I am really enjoying the readings and how it was for the Indians-so very smart they were about life and love but also so very sad how everything went for them!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 02:56 AM
WC! Guide
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Judi, thank you so very much, I hope every one get that feeling as well.
Cassie, thanks. 24... I just got a new pad and it has 24 sheets so that's where I got my number. Go figure.
Suzi, I'm the one who is should be grateful. You planted the seed for this to grow.
Thanks Jim, that means a lot coming from you.

Let's see, what can I leave you with tonight....

"We send our little Indian boys and girls to school, and when they come back talking English, they come back swearing. There is no swear word in the Indian languages, and I haven't yet learned to swear".

-Gertrude S. Bonnin (Zitkala-Sa) - Yankton Sioux

...Now there's something to think about.

Peace,
AL

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Very interesting AL, history and Art, what a coxtail pure nectar. Many thanks for allowing us to share.
Regards
Les