WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 08:23 PM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: american crusaders firesale of the twisted cross

Gini,

Some people have to have power, but personally I'd rather see it given to people who don't want it. A vain hope I'm sure.

Mikey
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
Vancouver, Washington.

Hails from United States

Reguarding the art:

I like it. I'd like to see the flag colors to be a bit crisper, and probably would have done some sort of tearing thing around the eye with the stick in it. Very good work. Keep it up

lilkitten

Click here to email me

All images I display are (C)opyright Caroline Tigeress and are not to be downloaded or modified in any manner without express consent of the artist.

Please enjoy my article, 'Celtic Knotwork Part One':http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/6560/375/
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by giniaad
Well, I'm not into political art
(or politics at all for that matter)
too many people think they know how things should/could go
(part of the problem...people disagree )
it is far more complicated than meets the eye

I'm into complicated political art-- it's nice when it shows both sides of the story-- the conflict-- you know?

This one is a little one-sided-- but I like it anyway. It's kinda 60s though... you know? I's like to see the logos larger and more all over it and such.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 10:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
in a tiny little house

I love your great big tactile in your face stuff- and the more I get to know you, the more your stuff makes me smile...sorry, that's right, your stuff makes me smile. I like your use of the hybrid corporate logos...and the stick in the eye.

You are something else!

Greattatatatatatataaa!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
la, ca

Hails from United States

i retract that Gini- you are right about assigning blame...i am assigning blame to those persons who make lots of money in selling arms and assigning all the best minds to making weapons of mass destruction...its called the military industrial complex...without an enemy and fear..they wont have a product to sell..
this piece is as much about what has been going on here since the early 80s...as it is about the latest war....the praise the lord pass the ammo hypocrites have been around quite awhile...its just they hijacked the government and are a threat to us all...

some of our discussion has gone off onto the current quagmire..and talked about different sides and such....but this piece isnt limited to the current conflicts....

like in the early 80s they lied to you and me...the russkies are all ahead of us we gotta build more bombs....soon russia dropped out...and we kept on building more and more bombs....

whatdya think they were gonna do with em
so i know there are other evils out there...

the theme boiled down of this piece is this...put your own house in order before you go start fixing everone elses problems...our tax dollars are going to kill people and there are people getting rich off it...wannna guess who???this in turn teaches our children that violence is the way to solve things and he with the biggest stick MUST be right, so they mimic what they are taught...and the beat goes on...

and by the way it is an election year>
dont you think the strongest nation in the world can lead better than this...
dont you think that maybe had they gotten all those responsible for 911 to have been the thing to do before you go attack iraq...

and if you believe that it was to make iraq free for iraqi's to run as they see fit...that means your probably a republican and have lots of money to spend as your war stocks have all gone up...you should buy this piece and hide it...its 59,999.95plus shipping and handling..
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Immortalized
a human being on the face of the earth

no...I wish I was rich...or even close...
not demo...or repu...
...independant...
and will remain that way

again...best of luck...

(PS...Mikey...I agree!! and have often thought that myself)

Last edited by giniaad : 05-08-2004 at 11:40 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 PM
in a tiny little house

The words that are used to describe the piece are the things that carry all the weight in your statement here...your art comes across as art with a bit of a punch but on its own allows for a wider degree of interpretation or the room to not interpret at all if the viewer chooses.

On the other hand, I have trouble when art is used to depict a graphic statement...at what point does it cease to be art and then become a documentary or simply an editorial?

I guess what I am asking at what point, if any, is art an appropriate venue for trying to get people to see the light - does your point loose impact by using art as a megaphone?

Last edited by Michael-Ann : 05-08-2004 at 11:38 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

My generation protested war and marched and dropped out and turned on and made love... then gangs took over the drug culture, free love resulted in the aids epidemic, some of us got greedy, some went to jail, many died and now we are right back into it again. They knew Iraq had weapons because we gave the stuff to them. We supplied them the chemicals that they used on the Kurds. We gave the Afgans the rockets they used to shoot at us. We proped up Saddam, and Bin Ladin. Your work is fine, but it is polarizing. It is a work of frustration and perhaps it needs to be seen, I wish there was some uplifting work of art that could reveal truth to the world, but alas, it would not be recieved. Each side would spin it to support their dogma. I'm looking forward to late October when they will catch Bin Laden just in time for the election. Then we can watch all of the seeds he has planted be watered by our actions and Bush will get his unending war on "Terrorism" and the American war machine will prosper and this generation will be exposed to the horror and guilt that has followed mine and so on and so forth, and the despair will grow and the Bush's will go to Yale, and the blue collar kids will go to war and the world will be a "Safer" place. Amen.

Bob
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 07:53 AM
A Local Legend
Wales UK

Hails from Netherlands

ha,just what we need ,more rubbish!!
no,no,you go for it steph,wake me up
the fact that it was rejected,
must make you feel good
personally i like to bring peace with
a friendly landscape painting
rubbish i know,but it calms me!!
painting le tour
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
la, ca

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-Ann
The words that are used to describe the piece are the things that carry all the weight in your statement here...your art comes across as art with a bit of a punch but on its own allows for a wider degree of interpretation or the room to not interpret at all if the viewer chooses.

On the other hand, I have trouble when art is used to depict a graphic statement...at what point does it cease to be art and then become a documentary or simply an editorial?

I guess what I am asking at what point, if any, is art an appropriate venue for trying to get people to see the light - does your point loose impact by using art as a megaphone?

and MA brings up several good points- i guess the things I say are part of the experiences i have had and are what i consciously see and want to say about my art...BUT i cannot really figure out all of the ways of what i put down can be viewed by others... who have had different experieces they bring when they are looking at anothers art...we cant really be objective when looking and talking about our own works..

and 2. MA, artquestion for dejour- art has long been used as a tool...in western art...alot of what we have today was art commissioned by the churches or other controlling groups, to make a point...maddonnas and christ are numerous...so what is this thing we call art...my definition at this point is that it simply is communication of a thought from an artist to another..a different form of writing.

2/ im trying to illuminate what i see to be the truth...and realize truth to me and you may be different things...and that im not always right so as to keep an open mind....but in these forums to communicate to others so that truth may be at least talked about....cause what you get on the 6pm news is not truth...and by causing rukus maybe so truth will help us advance
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
la, ca

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebird
I'm into complicated political art-- it's nice when it shows both sides of the story-- the conflict-- you know?

This one is a little one-sided-- but I like it anyway. It's kinda 60s though... you know? I's like to see the logos larger and more all over it and such.

FB- their are more things written on it...and more logo fun...and ill probably be adding to it as the news comes in...media is right...im left....maybe we can get back to center if enough people get up and say we dont like what you are doing mr. BIG...
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:06 PM
in a tiny little house

I have to answer don't I... can't keep my mouth shut...and don't want your creative stuffs winding up being moved to debate forum.

I have to expound because I want you to know that your art should be what ever you feel - and that is the most important part of it...and my inability to say what I want to say seems to imply otherwise.

So lets see if I can say this right...
I just wonder if when you use art to convince others to see your point...does the point loose something by the very fact that it is tweaked to visually attract... and if we don't try to attract...then does the statement then become a documentary instead of art... or am I just playing around with semantics?
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
la, ca

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
ha,just what we need ,more rubbish!!
no,no,you go for it steph,wake me up
the fact that it was rejected,
must make you feel good
personally i like to bring peace with
a friendly landscape painting
rubbish i know,but it calms me!!

bobbo- there is nothing more fun than strappingon the tunes and getting to nature...thats real music...
it makes me feel good cause i hit a nerve...so i know im on to something real..

and RoberJ- you go girl...i hear you loud and clear...but i refuse to believe that we are all going to go to heck in a handbasket...thats the point of how i came to be jumpng up and down...we seee the roadmap and where it leads so instead of just locking and loading, we find a new path...and all end up in nevernever land... thru all the possibilities why dont we think of a happy and bountiful one...yahhoooooo ima bozo..theres no place like home

Last edited by stephanf : 05-09-2004 at 05:16 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:57 PM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

If we want to make our point known is fine art the best way? Sometimes the media can take hold of an artists work, and the ideas spread through to creatives in other fields. However, will a few hundred people walking into an art gallery a day make any significant impact.

Obviously religious art worked well because it had a continuing audience of people who would see it week after week over many years. Yet for much of that time the argument of art v craft didn't exist.

Mikey
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
la, ca

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-Ann
I have to answer don't I... can't keep my mouth shut...and don't want your creative stuffs winding up being moved to debate forum.

I have to expound because I want you to know that your art should be what ever you feel - and that is the most important part of it...and my inability to say what I want to say seems to imply otherwise.

So lets see if I can say this right...
I just wonder if when you use art to convince others to see your point...does the point loose something by the very fact that it is tweaked to visually attract... and if we don't try to attract...then does the statement then become a documentary instead of art... or am I just playing around with semantics?
no more like lunatics dontya think