WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#181   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The "Goal Post" for April 2012

Ulla, yay for your successes! Way cool. Great idea using pencils for plein air sketching. They're so portable.

Cali, congratulations on your sister's portrait!

Doug, thank you for mentioning that. I tried to do it daily too and think I've got maybe 14 or 15 total for the month instead of five a week. It's got to be on an As Can basis. Both of us having that much trouble leaves me feeling better about my results. I am not kidding.

Yesterday I did another couple of Ari drawings so I've now got Charlie's page of Ari drawings almost done. Two or three sketches more and it'll be complete, depending on how large they are. Maybe one face and two full body drawings will fit the remaniing space, or maybe a paw and two full body ones. So that's yesterday's tick.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #182   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tick - I blogged today, finally posted my review of Henri Roche' pastels with the test page I had done instead of waiting till I do a serious painting with them. I might find a reference and do a serious painting featuring a dandelion and dandelion clock when I do though.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #183   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Robert- Good job on the Roche pastel review. It must be a beautiful sight to to how they look in real life. Maybe one day.

95% of a tick. I started cleaning the studio yesterday and did some more today. I just have to put a few things away and it's done. I just can't do any more work on it today. I am in my recliner waiting for the meds to kick in. I will be resting the rest of the day, but it was well worth it. Maybe I will take some photos tomorrow and post them here. We all know it doesn't take long for it to get back to being messy, so as least there will be visual evidence that it was clean at one point of time. It looks inviting again and hopefully it will motivate me even more to be creative.

I purchased another Sta-Wet palette to use with gouache and tested it out yesterday. Just checked it out and the paint is still wet and ready to be used. Hopefully tomorrow I can try a pastel painting with a gouache under painting. If I make it an 8 x 10 that could be half of another goal.

Doug
  #184   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Definitely get photos, Doug! That's fantastic. What a cool idea using a Sta-Wet Palette for gouache! Why didn't I think of that? It makes such total sense. I love my little Sta-Wet Palette, so I could use it for either medium. I don't paint often enough to use it continuously with either but if it helps keep the paint moist till I've used it up, I'm happy. I've got to try that.

Cleaning up my studio wasn't on this month's goals but I think it just happened as an unexpected success. I'm going to retro it in. Ever since I got that wonderful dresser, I've been steadily rearranging where my supplies go. Every week I'd work on it with my home care workers, getting a little more put away. Thursday, with substitute worker Bill's help, I got the last under-bed tub emptied, picked up and put away.

Today the big "larder" tub got sorted, supplies separated from housekeeping and stored food stuff and the larder tub tucked up into the larder cabinet. I've got floor space. All my supplies are on shelves or in drawers or in the stack right in reach next to me, which rotates with what I'm using.

So retroactively, that's goal 7 for this month. Organize my Supplies. It's wonderful having everything either put away in an easy to get at drawer or shelf or right in reach. This rocks. It's a fantastic feeling. Oh and the bed's made with clean sheets and a hairy cat draped on it along with the throw pillows, so my studio has that "lived in" look even when spotless. Cat Hairs of Inspiration are a necessity but they're reduced to the ones attached to the cat for the moment.

#185   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

This sounds great, Hal and Robert! Some weeks ago I bought a plastic box for most of my art materials, and it felt so good getting them all in one place! But I have a lot of papers to file and some shelves to reorganize. I hate filing papers, but reading about your organizing activities is so motivating for me that I here and now declare that I will have all my paperwork filed and organized by the middle of May!
And another goal kind of popped in: to get some additional copic markers and do artwork with them. you may declare me insane but yesterday I felt like rediscovering my markers and I made a piece with them which I published in my art journal thread. I know most copic marker users are manga people, but they can be used for more than manga!
I mean the markers - not the people, of course!
  #186   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Okay, this is what my studio looks like right now. I know it won't be this neat by the end of the day.

TICK

First off, I have to show my babies.

Here is the pastel work area and the drawing table in front of the window. I use that table as a work table as well.

This is the wet medium table. I want to keep the pastels away from anything wet. I just roll the chair over when I need it.

The library and storage. Those are some of my paintings on the wall.

The view from the recliner.

Standing at one end.

And lastly, the view from the drawing table.

Yes I know I am spoiled rotten, but this room gets used more than any other room in the house. I live down here for most of the day. If I am having a bad day, I can sit in my recliner and read or watch art videos. When the back is feeling better the working stations are right behind me and I can start painting. It has been working well, but I am always tweaking.

So that is a tour of my studio. I showed you mine, so now you can show me yours.

Doug
  #187   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Oh Doug.... I'm drooling with envy! So glad for you that you have such an impressive place to relax and work in...It looks SOOO inviting! ( And SOOO well-organized!) Well done!

and Rob...It sounds like you have really succeeded in re-organizing your space! Good that you have help with the moving of stuff...

I am so far behind in my goals this month! the still-life I started 3 weeks ago is still untouched on my easel. It's been one of those months that has been very trying...both physically and emotionally. But May is coming up, and I feel things will get better...they just HAVE to!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #188   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Doug, that is so spectacular! I love it. Your pastel table and cabinets and shelves and collection of framed paintings, that beautiful space and its furnishings are droolworthy. There's some good reason to strive to become self employed and move into a larger space.

I'm happy with my room though. It's lighter, brighter and more spacious than the one I had in Arkansas. I lost the view through the window but have a very high ceiling, which may eventually lead to high deep storage and a stepladder. Or some kind of space-saving bed arrangement, maybe one of those beds that's a cabinet bed with shelving and cabinets above it. Wish I had the tools and strength for DIY, it'd help in making a small space navigable and allow more stuff with less clutter.

Thank you for sharing your photos! I should snap a photo of the cleaned up area, though it's nowhere near as pretty. Here we are:

Today so far I'm resting up. I hope I can do a daily painting while resting up but it may be a small one if I do. Getting some twinges on the tendonitis site on my bad leg, so I should really stay off my feet after all that running around. Went right up to my limits and spat over them, if I want to do that again I need to rest at these subtle twinges rather than get stoic and wreck my mobility.

#189   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Hi guys, so sorry, I'm not able to keep up commenting right now. Except, Doug, show off! Braggart! How many minutes did the superorganized studio last in real life? Beatiful, and gorgeous view, I'm not green with envy, oh no...

Grabbing a moment to check how I've done.

1) I will paint the large difficult painting
2) I will paint at least one more medium sized one
3) I will prepare and hold a talk
4) I will prepare and hold classes
5) I will do something which is pure enjoyment of art

Hey! I think this is the first month I've did it all. What's wrong with me?...

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #190   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Doug like Charlie very green with envy!

Take care of yourself Robert. Looks like you have a place for everything.

Charlie you were a busy girl this month well done.

I didn't do so well this month.
1. The closet is shut but still lurking and quietly nagging. One day!
2. Do a WDE did two tick
3. Do a Spotlight sadly no.
4 do a daily painting got in abbot five sketches.
5 sew on snap of baby cardigan tick and baby has arrived and cardigan is in Mum's hands!
So could do better.

C & c's always welcome
  #191   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Munich, Germany

Let's see....

1. Bookbinding classes half-tick, because I missed a class due to:

2) NOT OVERDOING IT AS SOON AS I GET OVER THE PREVIOUS TIME I OVERDID IT!!! I'm counting this as a tick because I've done a bit better this month at this --including skipping a class the day I was having dizzy spells after oh, 8 or so nosebleeds.

3) keeping journaling, although I think it's almost to the instinctive can-leave-it-off-the-goals stage, touch wood (of course, now that I've said that.....) tickety tick! plus a few extra ticks! I'm already a quarter of the way through my second journal, I love this process, even if I don't sketch every day. I think this can stop being on my goals list, though, next month, because it's a habit.

4) practice this mixing colors with pastel sticks thing from that other thread. (for which I definitely need to practice using them with a light touch more consistently.) tick, kind of --I didn't do more focused practice, but when I did the pastel sketch for this still life I want to do, I did use that technique some. maybe a half-tick?

Not bad, I think, especially managing to do better on the not-overdoing-it front (although today, I was totally out in the sun and heat too long, whoops --we went to the zoo again.)
  #192   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

So here I am, back from my trip to Italy and I have no time to go through all the posts here. I must just say....Doug, your studio is to die for!!! Happy painting! And that view.....WOW! Robert, that looks like a great use of space....but is that door behind used at all?

Almost complete failure with my goals this month.
Here they are

1, try a couple more Cafes where they may hang my art. Nope
2, Do all the Spotlight ones if I have time. Love them all I've already done 2 today. Did 3 and started another but never finished
3, Swan paintings for an exhibition at Norwich Theatre in June (just so happens one of the spotlights is a Swan image ) Well, I got that one done and it's now at the framers.
4, Make a start on the front garden which is horrendously neglected. Nope
5, Get out and do one plein air session, weather permitting. Nope

Am I bothered? Nope!! Next month I will not be away at all.....except for an overnight trip this Thursday/Friday.

So, see you next month. Arrivederci!!!!

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #193   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States

Doug, your space is fantastic, not to mention the view you have when you are working.
Robert, I wish I had good storage space to put all my supplies like you have. All my stuff is scattered in different parts of my home. One day I will get it together.

This month,

2 spotlights completed (one sold) - tick
one portrait of sister - tick
Finished but not signed yet is another 11 x 16 on Mi Tientes Touch paper of a Magnolia branch. Once I've decided that it's finished I will post it.

I'm happy with what I've done. Now I look forward to what is in store for us next month.
  #194   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Judi- I hope May is a better month for you. We will be here cheering you on and cheering you up, if you need it. We are here for you, Judi, and don't forget it.

Robert- That looks like a very nicely organized area. We all need more storage it seems. There is never enough. It doesn't really matter what our rooms are like, it's what you do in them that counts. You do a lot.

Charlie- CONGRATULATION!!!! You had a great month. I am glad you like my view. That's one reason why I couldn't wait to sell the house and move here. I still can't believe it.

Jen- Don't be green. Be purple instead. Considering what you went through this month, you did a fine job. You will get back at it starting tomorrow.

Mercy- Good job on your goals. You are correct that sometimes we have to take it easy and not be so demanding on ourselves. You seem to have found the perfect balance for you.

Ruthie- You globetrotter, you. Welcome back. The only Italian I know is "vino" and that is all I would need to know. No need to be bothered, as you said. Next month is almost here and you will be here too. How's that garden coming along? That view is "Beautiful British Columbia."

Cali- You did well this month. Just keep things going into next month. Yes, I am one lucky guy to have this space and live where we do. We hope this is our retirement house and my wife knew how important it was for me to have a nice studio area. The view is just a bonus.

My goals for April are:

1) Paint 20 paintings and post them on my Daily Painting blog. 12 so 3/5 tick
2) Paint 2 larger paintings and post them on Wet Canvas. No
3) Clean and organize my studio. BIG TICK
4) Experiment with my art supplies. Tick
5) Have fun doing art. Tick, tick, tick

Not the best month, but I will take it. Now onto May!!!

Doug
  #195   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Congratulations on everyone's successes, especially Charlie finishing ALL goals! That rocks! Go you!

Let's see how mine look...

1) Daily Painting 5 days/week. Semi-tick, 14 out of 30.
2) Daily Painting blog Semi-tick, 15 out of 30.
3) Update OP site None
4) Write weekly Sorta - did Ideafiles and blogged.
5) Savings $175 or more None
6) Little Ari page for Charlie Semi-tick, worked on it.
7) Organize my art supplies TICK

Not a really great month. But the daily painting and its blog were As Can so that might be a success.