Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Frigate Constitution (After Gleason) complete

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmwilliams

This has been a tough project. I posted earlier for C&C and made many adjustments after getting great feedback.

It was perhaps too ambitious for my experience and skill level, but I learned a lot. The rigging isn’t great – a sailor would spot all the flaws in a moment – but the impression of rigging seems to work overall.

I will stare at it for a few days and likely tweak it – so if you see anything you’d suggest I work on, please don’t hesitate to say.

Thomas

I’m not knowledgeable about ships so can’t comment on the structure etc!

I do like the way you kept the colouring and the rigging (especially) subtle and not eye-catching. I like the light and shade on the canvas.

I think the sea needs a bit more work – colours have lost their watery translucency a bit and waves a a bit flat and lacking in depth – but generally I think this is a very creditable piece – well done!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

tmwilliams

I’m not knowledgeable about ships so can’t comment on the structure etc!

I do like the way you kept the colouring and the rigging (especially) subtle and not eye-catching. I like the light and shade on the canvas.

I think the sea needs a bit more work – colours have lost their watery translucency a bit and waves a a bit flat and lacking in depth – but generally I think this is a very creditable piece – well done!

Maureen – thank you!

How would you add depth and translucency? More contrast of lights and darks?

Sheryl

Very nice work! Good detail!

sherylgallant.ca
                - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

Grampy

Your work on the ship’s structure is superb and I like the sky. I agree with Maureen, a bit more movement of the water.
                    Well done.
                    Steve:clap:

Steve

Never regret doing what puts smiles on faces

Attalus

Very nice. :clap:

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.