WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece
Re: owning movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery
After trying piles of distros, I finally got Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit working on an 8 GB USB stick. The trick was to install it to the USB stick as though it was a regular permanent drive, i.e. "full installation". To do that I had to burn a DVD first. Trying to use a USB to install to a USB, they didn't end up slotting in the right order on the system. Burning a DVD, then using that to install to USB as though it's a regular hard drive, that worked.

The stuff with the persistent USB and casper-rw file systems does not work. It introduces a horrible slowness to the system. Every 5 seconds the cursor would freeze up. I thought it was a touchpad driver problem, but a preponderance of the evidence says it was a casper filesystem too damn slow problem.

YMMV, it may only affect my ancient 10 year old laptop. But I also got a full 8GB of storage out of the stick, doing "full install". That requires extreme heroics working with casper on current distros, and I never did get it working right that way.

The boot loader and the system are installed completely on the USB stick. Nothing has been changed about my underlying Windows 10 system at all. USB stick plugged in, I've got Linux. USB stick taken off, it's back to Windows. This stick might only work on this 1 laptop, but that's ok, because it's the only machine I care about having it work on.

The goal of the exercise is to find out if my ancient Wacom Graphire tablet has better driver support on Linux than Windows 10. It's possible, because the driver model has changed on Windows over the years, and nobody's working on commercial drivers for Graphire anymore. Whereas, in the Linux world they may have kept maintaining and improving even the really old stuff.

After 48+ hours of effort on the project though, I'm too wiped out to find out whether I "won". I think I just slept for 12 hours as recovery! No I wasn't without sleep for 48 hours, but I think I did stay up awfully late 2 nights in a row, just trying to put "one more distro" on the stick to see if it would work better. I even tried TrueOS, a BSD derivative.

You should have tried UNetbootin

Its an application that downloads the distro of your choice and then installs the iso image on your usb stick or anywhere else you prefer. Then you simply boot from the usb to the live linux image and you can install it from this either on your computer's hard disk side by side with your windows, or in a clean installation, or in your usb stick in order to boot from this ( depending the distro that you'll use).
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
To each their own.

I can't imagine any adaptation of The Silmarillion working.

Only as a series and by following the book stories without any alterations. If they make it this way it will have the success of The Game of Thrones ( that is plagiarism of Tolkien stories altered in order not to be very obvious ).
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Enthusiast
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarialenaS
You should have tried UNetbootin

What do you mean "should have" ? Do you have any ideas how many times I did exactly that, with how many different distros? The Casper file system on which UNetbootin is based, does not work on my laptops with a 8GB USB stick. The performance is terrible, mouse freezing up all the time. As I said before, "full install" to the USB stick, "as though it's a fixed hard drive", is what actually works. YMMV, but if you are trying to do this with old laptops, I won't be shocked if you experience what I did.

I'm impressed that you actually know about things like UNetbootin, but if you had any idea what my technical background is, you'd need to give me really really abstruse high end picky detailed technical advice on things Linux. I have so been there done that for substantial portions of my "career" as a computer programmer. Tried to be That Open Source Guy for quite awhile and found it wanting. It might not be an exaggeration to say that it was a career wrecker.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 AM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

I've tried lots of different Linux platforms on old laptops and usually take them off after a couple of days of realising they're ok operating systems but most of the software they support is not as good as software for Apple or Windows OS. There's also the nasty mess Linux make a of the boot record of the hard drive which has to be rewritten to install any other OS. Android is better, unless one likes privacy from Google. Apple is just as bad. People actually buy one of the most expensive laptops from Apple and it doesn't even have a USB slot. How cool a marketing act is that!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery
What do you mean "should have" ? Do you have any ideas how many times I did exactly that, with how many different distros? The Casper file system on which UNetbootin is based, does not work on my laptops with a 8GB USB stick. The performance is terrible, mouse freezing up all the time. As I said before, "full install" to the USB stick, "as though it's a fixed hard drive", is what actually works. YMMV, but if you are trying to do this with old laptops, I won't be shocked if you experience what I did.

I'm impressed that you actually know about things like UNetbootin, but if you had any idea what my technical background is, you'd need to give me really really abstruse high end picky detailed technical advice on things Linux. I have so been there done that for substantial portions of my "career" as a computer programmer. Tried to be That Open Source Guy for quite awhile and found it wanting. It might not be an exaggeration to say that it was a career wrecker.

The installer gives you the option to change the journaling/file system when you set up the partitions during the installation. You can change it with another , there is option to do so.
My computer that is a 15 y.o desktop runs o ext4 file system.
The file /journaling system is the way the operating system records the data, you are not obliged to retain your old file system by the time that you install a new operating system.
Now each operating system has its own settings. When you install two operating systems in a machine, then you use grub in order to load the one or the other operating system during the boot process. It gives you a list when you start the computer to do so.

This grub ( the application that gives you the list) is recommended to be installed on the hard disc unless you are interested to load the operating system from the usb stick. But in this case is not needed to install it. You boot with the live image, you run the applications that come with the live image, and when you want to save something ( a file or something) you do so by mounting the user partition of the hard disc, on the live image that you run with the external drive ( the USB in this case).

When you boot from the USB drive in the live image mode, and you click to install the Linux operating system there are various options that can do the following.

1/ Install the linux OS side by side with the existing already installed windows or other operating system - and it asks you if you want to have a shared user partition
2/ format and delete everything from the HD and install only the linux OS, either manually or automatically ( with default settings)
3/ Go for full manual installation and set up your own preferences ( completely different for instance partitions for the root and the user of each operating system- or something else that you might want to do).

Now if you go for a manual own made installation it is wise to separate in different partitions the root ( the administrating user) from the user ( the account that you need for doing your everyday tasks).
That in order to separate the system files from the user files.

BUT in all cases and options you are not obliged to retain a certain file system. You can choose something else and the installer will do the appropriate changes during the installation.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I've tried lots of different Linux platforms on old laptops and usually take them off after a couple of days of realising they're ok operating systems but most of the software they support is not as good as software for Apple or Windows OS. There's also the nasty mess Linux make a of the boot record of the hard drive which has to be rewritten to install any other OS. Android is better, unless one likes privacy from Google. Apple is just as bad. People actually buy one of the most expensive laptops from Apple and it doesn't even have a USB slot. How cool a marketing act is that!

Linux has its own applications. If you want to run the applications you used with your windows or mac OS then you don't go for Linux.

I run Linux on my pc's for 15 years and I never had any problems neither I felt that there is a task that I can't do.
I don't use of course CAD or other applications of that sort.
The incompatibility of Linux towards certain programs happens because the companies that develop these applications, like Adobe that develops Photoshop, or for example Sonar that is developed by Cakewalk, offer these applications as proprietary and they don't port them for Linux OSs. ( something that it is easy to do by the time that Linux OSs are actually UNIX systems exactly as the iOSs are).
But of course you pay for use of proprietary applications' use even for the tiniest patch that you could fix yourself if you had access to the code of the application, So you are forced to ask the developing team to fix for you whatever doesn't work from the box and pay them to do so.

Linux has its own image and audio manipulation applications which are not so enhanced as the paid ones, but cover the 90% of the needs of the average user. If you are so pro after all, you probably have the budget to pay the very pro proprietary applications and hardware that they need to run.

In any case. My website, my pc and my server all run on linux. Have you spotted any problems on their performance? Did you ever see me claim anywhere here that my pc crashed, or that my server was hacked or that my website has any speed or performance issues?

Of course my website is not the fancier existing, but it is steady and loads really fast.

Last edited by MarialenaS : 01-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here's a film I own that I never hear anyone talk about but which I feel is an awesome film. "Holy Smoke" with Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel. The sort of unspoken cultural bondage that people find themselves in is so much of the film's theme, especially when it comes to freedom and religion.

I like off the wall flicks like: "Blue Velvet." Weird.

Making art since 1973-ish.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 12:51 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

I like a French film titled 'The Intouchables' perhaps you may like that, Katy.
It has English subtitles, not sure about American
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I have not seen that film Katy, which surprised me as I try to watch most films with Kate Winslett.

I enjoyed her in the film Revolutionary Road with Leonardo DiCaprio. It's about a couple living in the suburbs with two kids. They are bored with life and he hates his job and so she comes up with the idea of moving to Paris for a fresh start.

But, he's a weak horrible liar and agrees to it at first but then changes his mind later on.. it is worth watching.

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarialenaS
The installer gives you the option to change the journaling/file system when you set up the partitions during the installation.

I doubt we are talking about the same things. You seem to be talking about installing from a USB stick. Regarding Casper and whatnot, I was talking about creating a persistent Linux on a USB stick. The key word / terminology / jargon here is "persistent", and on my old computers, the Casper file system does not work on the USB stick. It introduces horrible performance, which is sovled by doing a full install with ext4 on the USB stick.

Quote:
The file /journaling system is the way the operating system records the data, you are not obliged to retain your old file system by the time that you install a new operating system.

Because you replied to my comment, it looks like you're addressing this explanation to me. Perhaps you are not, perhaps it's intended for anyone's edification who is reading this thread. But My Dear, I started with Linux kernel 0.99something, on a 486DX2/66! What do think you could possibly tell me, about the basics of how Linux works? Specifics have changed over the years, and I'm more or less current on them at any given moment, depending on whether I've stuck my feet in the water again. But the basics, my goodness, I certainly know what a file system is. I could write one. Pretty sure I had to do that for credit back in college, although it was rather basic and not production quality.

Gotta cut this short, gotta go.