Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Hunter1

I Buy oils tubes that are on sale in my local art store. Grumbacher, Windsor Newton, ect. I’m not having any problems with the paint . But I would like to upgrade as I replace them. What are some of the really good oils out there. Get’s confusing when they all claim the same thing. Thank’s.:confused:

I can only try to paint, What the lord created.

Kathy1234

You have listed 2 really great brands of oil paints. Always buy professional grade and you can mix and match until you find the ones that work for you. Try out many brands to get the feel of the paint on the canvas.

thecakelady

Hi there, have you tried Gamblin Artist’s Oil Colors? I’ve mostly used Windsor & Newton and Grumbacher, but recently purchased a few of Gamblin’s radiant colors just for fun. They’re very creamy and I like them quite a bit, but I find their caps to lose their thread if you’re not careful.

I’m curious about what other people have to say :cat:

Hunter1

Thank’s I did find some post’s about oil paint here. But your right, I’ll try a few to see what I like and what works for me.

contumacious

You might search for some closeout pricing on the older line of the Lefranc & Bourgeois Extra Fine Artists Oil Colors. They have discontinued that line and have come out with a new series so the old line can be found discounted substantially in some places.

Jerry’s currently has them on sale at 58% off. The Extra Fine series is comparable to the best oils you can buy from other makers.

WFMartin

I’ve been using M. Graham’s Oil paints for several years, and I like them very much. The binder of these paints is Walnut Oil, and it is very user-friendly.

An alternative Walnut Oil paint is the brand I purchase from “The Art Treehouse”. Their selection of colors is quite limited, but they are excellent paints, at very reasonable prices.

And, Grumbacher and Gamblin are also excellent paints for their prices. I used Grumbacher for years, until I began using Walnut-Oil bound paints.

I usually try to avoid Winsor & Newton. Much too pricey for their rather average, mediocre quality. And, W & N tend to be enthralled with
                            using Safflower Oil–either in conjunction with Linseed, or by itself. That is not my first choice for a binder.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Hunter1

Thank’s all. I bought a couple of tubes of Gamblin. I’ll try some of the M.Graham as soon as I get them. Tomorrow I’ll work with the Gamblin to see how I like them.

WFMartin

Thank’s all. I bought a couple of tubes of Gamblin. I’ll try some of the M.Graham as soon as I get them. Tomorrow I’ll work with the Gamblin to see how I like them.

I think Gamblin is a good choice. M. Graham paints tend to be a bit more fluid than some other oil paints, and many painters prefer a bit stiffer paint.

I don’t usually require as much medium when I use M. Graham, or Art Treehouse paints, because they are a bit more fluid.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

RaphaelG1

What is the opinion here on the Utrecht brand?
                                        I’ve heard mixed reviews. A few artists, whom I greatly admire, sing praises for the brand.
                                        … and you can’t argue about the cost. Very Affordable!!

Ralph
                                        "Oh what dust we raise" said the fly upon the chariot wheel

Zarathustra

I think it depends on your style, budget and accessibility. I use a mix of Rembrandt, Lefranc & Bourgeois and Old Holland. In France, these first two brands are pretty well priced and are sold everywhere. If I was in the US, I think Gamblin would be a great choice. If my budget allowed I would use even more Old Holland and I would also like to try Blockx.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.