WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Kathy

Glad your like the drawing. When I use the spatula I always use a little tray to put the ink on. For the drawing on the photos I used the spatula with the pointed tip. If I am drawing a bigger size I used the long spatula like a knife.

When I work with the bammbu cane I have the ink in a little bottle and also in the little tray because it depends how I use the cane if with the point or with the side of the cane.
I tried to send two drawing with the examples of each spatula but the system
fail, I will try again other day.
I don't know if you understand me because my poor inglish.

Regards
Alicia
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Alicia I understand and it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. When someone is using different tools it is always interesting to know more about their process.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2016, 04:05 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

These are lovely, expressive drawings Alicia - lovely quality to the line - a lot captured in 3 minutes!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

tks everyone for your comments. I still have to improve a lot, according to my teacher the main point is to learn to look so we should look longer time that the time to draw.
In the last days we practice only looking at the beginning 1,50 minutes, then the model left the podium and we have to draw the othe 1,5 minutes just with the remembering of the position of the model.
At the begining it is difficult but after tried and tried it is a bit less difficult.
I send some drawings.
Alicia
Attached Images

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaljada
..... according to my teacher the main point is to learn to look so we should look longer time that the time to draw.
In the last days we practice only looking at the beginning 1,50 minutes, then the model left the podium and we have to draw the othe 1,5 minutes just with the remembering of the position of the model.
At the begining it is difficult but after tried and tried it is a bit less difficult.
I send some drawings.
Alicia

What a most intreresting & difficult technique .
It's kind of still like drawing from memory & that is really difficult !
Even if you have spent the latest couple of minutes looking & studying the subject , you still can't "copy" directly .
Even that tiny time gap must leave loads of room for the mind to revert to it's usual tricks of "thinking about " the subject & adding it's own interpretations !

Yet I can see a definate ring of truth in your work - so well done.

Have you noticed this technique help you in your other art ?
Mike
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Yes, in all the techniques I practice, I follows the same rule, observation/thinking no drawing first with pencil or charcoal, always direct painting( with ink, acrilic, gouache, watercolour)gestual painting, direct movement without repete two times in the same place. I always finish the paint or the drawing in one session, it doesn't matter the size is 30 x 30 cm or 1.5 mt x 1 mt.
5 year ago I began to paint with figurative watercolor and oleo, after two years
of hard work, hundreds of watercolor pictures , I arrive to the conclusion that I wouldn't like to paint the same kind of painting all my live. Nice painting but nothing personal. So I had two options to stop painting or to work in a different way.
I decided to go to the essential no paint brushes, no pencil, no pen, no the tipic tools for drawing/painting. So I began to work in all technicas with hard tools.
The dream was to have my own stile, it doesn't matter other people taste.
I know it is a long way but I am quite happy and enjoying the way.
I do not know if my works are good or bad but the are different and I am creating my own way of doing.
But yes, it is a long, long way.
Regards
Alicia
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Yes, I understand entirely & I respect & admire your viewpoint 100%.
If you do remain true to your self regardless of what other people may have done or art fashion , I think you will be truly satisfied & feel that the massive amount of energy & commitment was worth it !
Just keep on going Alcia & you may even be surprised yourself with the results !
I look forward into having a glimpse into your journey, where ever it ends up .
Regards Mike.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Lord of the Arts

Nice work!

Nothing wrong with loose or gestural style, but it's not for my taste, personally. So I will gladly stick to using a pencil beforehand, making preparatory sketches, using photo references, and so on!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55
Nice work!

Nothing wrong with loose or gestural style, but it's not for my taste, personally. So I will gladly stick to using a pencil beforehand, making preparatory sketches, using photo references, and so on!

Well I'm fairly near to you in your preferences but there's a certain magic that hovers around loose & gestural that you can feel both when doing it & when examining such work.
BUT here's the bombshell ! - By doing gestural type work it can dramatically inform & deeply feed tighter work , somehow setting it free , loosening it up & pointing towards the very centre of art itself.
I think we need both approaches when exploring this strange subject of art.
Mike.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Miky, you understand perfectly, I am not interested to paint according with the canon, the idea is to paint with loose strokes, without preconceived ideas, with the minimum intervention, using any no conventional tools, forgotten the previously learning, the point is to try to paint like the cave painting: Simple, direct, essential and expressive.
So I have a long way to improve, I am just in the begining.
Regards
Alicia
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 03:41 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Your quick/instant!! sketches are good Alicia and have lots of charm in many ways.
I also like gestural drawing but we all have different ways of doing it - with some of your later ones I would, personally, have chose a finer implement to express the lines and or gesture of the model - but that's a personal choice and in no way implies that your choice was wrong!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Temecula, California

Hails from United States

Hi there...I am brand new at this medium. I just started using colored pencils, and watercolors...(about two months ago!!) My question is...how is "pen & ink" defined. To me pen and ink are the same...(ink inside the pen) Sorry for such a goofy question...

Regards,
Loraine
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2016, 03:06 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome Loraine!

Pens are anything from a piece of stick to the most advanced fountain pen!
Originally drawings were done with a dip pen and a container of ink - nowadays, of course, technology has produced sa variety of ready-filled pens!
See this thread by Pedlars Pen

Ink also comes in a wide variety of types and colours.

So ......... any pen + any ink = pen and ink work (that's it in a nutshell!!!)

**My SAA website**
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Temecula, California

Hails from United States

Thank you Maureen!!!! Now that makes sense "dip pen and a container of ink". I appreciate the explanation. I will check out the thread you recommended.

Loraine
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 PM

Hello,

New to art and new to pen and ink. I have a lot to learn and skills to hone but I absolutely love this medium so far. Here are a couple of recent drawings using microns:

I really like the look of watercolor over pen and ink so I watercolored the rose. I used the SakuraKoi set but I've been enjoying watercolor so much I bought a Sennelier 12 pan set that I hope to be able to try soon as well: