Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Rock Star work in progress…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    KarenESP

This is on Arches Hot Press (a smooth type illustration board that will accept water color without warping :crossfingers:). It’s getting acrylic tinting thinned down to watercolor level cause oh… H:evil:LL No – It’s 33″X25″ and I am not going to exclusively ‘color pencil’ all of that. Too much hand and shoulder wear.

Reference Photograph is by Ben Upham, taken in 1976; Rock Photographer. He apparently works with artists and has an endless supply of rock star photographs if anyone else might be interested in speaking to him about a project…
        http://www.magicalmomentphotos.com/tag/ben-upham-photographer/

I’m just going to call it “Rock Star” just in case, in the end, I can’t get it to look like Frank Marino, otherworldly guitarist and front man for Mahogany Rush… less pressure that way. :D

Title pending; Dreams of Universal Freedom; also Ben’s idea.

I basically traced it out my usual way, using carbon paper from Office Depot – No I did not use that more professional white transfer stuff most people use for portrait work. I don’t even know where to get it. Then I used a regular number 2 pencil (and lots of smearing pencil with finger) to get the detail put in, in the hair and clothes. I just need to know where all of the wrinkles are and get close to the ‘hair pattern.’ the way the hair is falling… cause I’m going to tint all of that too eventually. Pretty much everything will be tinted. Background undecided at the moment.

Of course I hope you all weren’t expecting a “straight out” cp portrait ’cause you know I can’t do that. :lol: :wave: I already know from “Jewel Eyed Lion” that I can work over the under painting with colored pencils; it’s easy to lighten to put highlights back in… and it’s easy to erase colored pencil that is applied over top of the paint; a “win win” situation in my book. :thumbsup:

Yes I know the nose looks funky :eek:. I’m doing all tinting on the figure before I get to adjusting things. Thanks for looking.

So, “hear” we go, a song to start off with…

Hey!
        Keep your eyes on the road your hands upon the wheel….

Do it honey…
        :music::music:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pEMd1SdkAE

anniecanjump

This is going to be awesome, congratulations by the way. What an honor. I will be following this one closely.

Peggy
            My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

http://petportraitsbypeggy.weebly.com/

KarenESP

This is going to be awesome, congratulations by the way. What an honor. I will be following this one closely.

Awe, thanks Annie Highjumper. :heart: :wave:

Delofasht

Nice size, looks amazing, You are never going to end up selling this. . . prints maybe, but I just know it’s going on your wall in your living room for sure.

Did I ever mention that you have great taste in music?

- Delo Delofasht
                    KarenESP

Thanks Delo for coming by and saying such nice things…

Here’s my color paint chart I thought I’d post up for the skin tones…

Then I took out my Prismacolor white, although I said I was going to wait till later, and smoothed some stuff out, just to see what would happen. (The nose was getting on my nerves, hand too.) It’s an indoor night pic, looks more colorful in person…
                        [/COLOR]

jhunsberger

I can’t wait to see how amazing this turns out Karen. John

whatisajohnny.com

Great pose that’ll look great with the stars behind him.
                            Deb

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly.... on a broomstick, we're flexible like that. :lol:
                            Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/debstanleyart
                            Instagram debstanleyart

ec_creep

I’m anxious to see how exactly are you intending to use the acrylics underpainting!
                                Already looking very very good…

KarenESP

Here we are at the hair.

First there was an over all tinting of the hair area, same color as the face for the highlights to show through. The highlights did not show so much so I’ll have to do something about that.

Then the paint colors posted were used to make up the hair, in varying strengths, some lighter brownish, some darker brownish, blackish and greenish. I paid careful to the hair pattern as much as possible. I also made sure the shape of that hair was measured correctly – length from all positions from outer and upper edge of hair to where the face begins. If you don’t have this right, then you won’t have the right head shape in the end and the person won’t be very recognizable.

Next I used the brush posted that I special ordered some time ago, although I have no idea from where at the moment. Some artist makes those herself. You can see on the paint colors swatch I posted how it works. I just used it to put in several layers of hair detail… trying to keep some lights left in there per the reference pic.

Now the features aren’t popping enough, but they’ve never popped enough from the beginning, so I’ll have to make some kind of adjustment there.

This pic is an indoor pic – overcast and raining outside, best I could get. The hair rocks :music: in reality, but will still be tweaked with colored pencil and I will have to study up on that somewhere.

Sideburn: Was done with a poking up and down motion, I’ll fill in more little dots around the edges with my cp’s to make it look more like a sideburn, rather than a lock of hair.

Hand : I just took a pic of one of my son’s friend’s hands holding the guitar just so, cause I can barely make out what that hand is doing in the ref. pic. Everytime I blow it up, it crystalizes, so we’ll see how this works to get that hand better looking.

Thank you John, Deb and EC Creep and for coming by !!! :wave:

KarenESP

Completely annoyed at the lack of Pop… Waiting to be stuck by some resolution…

Hey Hey I wanna be a Rock Star…. :music::music:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAXLdZBObc

KarenESP

It’s not easy being green.. green skin is tough! Indoor, sideways pic to prevent flashback…. The shirt will be a lot darker.. better note :music: my colors and clean up my mess….

To get the skin the color it is now, mostly Chartruse Green (highlight and brightener) PC989, Apple Green 912 Brightener, Ocean Green 988 shadow.. then the 90% cool grey – mostly to darken mustache, eyebrows, nostral, etc.. little black too, same thing. White to lighten the Chartruse.

faula

:D looking good :D glad you found a photo to use :)

Skappy

Great as usual Karen love the colours I ll be back

Robert

Completely annoyed at the lack of Pop… Waiting to be stuck by some resolution…

You’re aiming for the wrong thing Karen – you don’t want it to [FONT=”Lucida Sans Unicode]Pop[/FONT] You want it to [FONT=”Impact]ROCK[/FONT] :music:
                                                    Deb :wave:

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly.... on a broomstick, we're flexible like that. :lol:
                                                    Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/debstanleyart
                                                    Instagram debstanleyart

KarenESP

You’re aiming for the wrong thing Karen – you don’t want it to [FONT=”Lucida Sans Unicode][COLOR=”Magenta][B]Pop[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] You want it to [FONT=”Impact][COLOR=”Red][B][SIZE=”6]ROCK[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/FONT] :music:
                                                        Deb :wave:

It’s at least got to pop before it can Rock Deb, ha ha ha , good one. :music: :music:

Yes, here I am work wondering how in the heck I got myself into a green Frank Marino pic – but you know what, the boy (I have a high schooler) and all of his high school buddies seem to like it.

Thanks dear Faula and Robert for popping by !!! :wave: :heart: :heart:

“I love rock and roll…”

Nothing like a good ole’ grainy Joan Jett video :lol: :wave:
                                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL5spALs-eA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.