WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States
Re: A simple assertion: going BEYOND photorealism

Partly out of sentiment, ElleAmde, because my dad collected it. Also because it worked from different views, a matter of composition. It runs in the opposite direction from the bird in this view.

The point of the ironwood has a resemblance to a bird's beak. It's a matter of contrast, of opposite flow. In this view the ironwood covers part of the bird, which is more dynamic that just having him sit on top of it from every view. In the previous view a few posts ago, the bird dominates, which is more powerful but more static.

It was important to me that my work be this way; that there was no definitive single view. I also chose the flatsawn side of the pillar for this view since its grain creates a curve with reflects the curve of the ironwood in the opposite direction.

There are also a few in jokes. As mentioned, pygmy kingfishers live in semi-arid country and don't fish, so desert ironwood seemed appropriate even though it's from Arizona, not Africa. And the pillar is kingwood, a type of rosewood, so there's a bit of a pun, even though it's from South America, not Africa. The ebony actually is Gabon ebony, an African species.

I did this piece from photographic reference. I've never seen one of these birds in the wild. But I didn't literally copy the photo. And I have it on good authority that I got the look right. George Schaller, the preeminent field biologist of the 20th Century and so far of this one, is the father in-law of a good friend of ours. If he says it's right, it's right.

I'm not saying I actually thought about all this in a linear way. I mostly ran on eyeballing and intuition, on posing the bird in various positions until I got one that pleased me and then attaching it to the perch.

We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 07-21-2019 at 11:19 AM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
Beautiful work Musket. You amaze me. It's so meticulous and really spectacular. No wonder you have caught the eye of collectors all over.

Thanks, Arty. I knocked my brains out on these pieces and that's for sure.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
And I have it on good authority that I got the look right.
Above and BEYOND any realism.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:00 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Steve: if you play guitar as well as you carve these beautiful birds
well......Hot Damn!!
Good stuff laddie.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I used to, Derek. No more, alas. Thanks.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 06:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I know what you meant.

There is currently no cure for RA. Maybe there will be someday. At this time, nobody even knows how it gets started, only that it lies dormant in the body for a long time, like a smouldering campfire. There's no early warning. By the time the symptoms manifest themselves, it's a full blown wildfire.

I've been luckier than most, so far. The symptoms are largely under control. But my hands have been weakened, and I've lost my manual dexterity, fine motor coordination and above all, tactile sensitivity. If you can't get feedback from your tools, you can't do delicate or complex work. Hence, no more gittar and no more elaborate art work.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Superb work, Steve!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Thanks Jon. Not to toot my own horn too much, but I consider the pieces I linked to a few pages back, long ago posted to threads here, to be my finest work. They definitely go beyond realism.

Just for fun, some WIPs for little Topper, as we call him. We truly miss that guy. He was always good for chuckle. But sell him we had to. Sentiment won't pay the rent. It always a good sign when a piece still looks good in a photo larger than its actual size.

Last edited by musket : 07-21-2019 at 10:15 PM.