Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum PR122 – lightfast issues when used outside?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard P

GOLDEN have announced a new paint line for Muralists, and all but 3 of the colours are able to be used outside. One of those colours is PR122 (Quinacridine Magenta). I have queried this in the comments and their reply is that they have seen it change in tints when exposed to outside lighting.

I’ve not heard this before, has anyone else read about this?

https://www.justpaint.org/a-paint-line-with-the-muralist-in-mind/#comments

I tested it along with some other colours in tints and did find some slight fading in outdoor exposure. From memory, it was slightly better than natural rose madder.

insert pithy comment here.

Given the professionalism of Golden/Williamsburg company I certainly have no reason to question their information. They go beyond any other brand to test color fastness and report the results to all who read their newsletter.

I am a trained professional mural artist and have used the best quality paints and supplies available for almost 25 years. Golden/Williamsburg test their paints in many different types of test including outdoors in the Florida sun/weather. I have used Golden’s acrylic products for murals indoors with direct sun and not had an issue with any color. I have used their products outdoors and with the right UV coating and not had an issue. PR122 in my WB oil paints shows no sign of fading in my samples, but then those are indoors where my oils belong. :thumbsup: Wishing you great paintings.

Angel :angel:
        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Richard P

Oh, I’m not doubting them. I’m just surprised by this finding :)

Delofasht

PR122 has been known to “Dull” slightly, but the change in color is minimal and restricted to certain situations (prolonged exposure to light). The change is noticeable by the human eye though, and may make a difference to some artists. To my knowledge, there is no other pigment that is as lightfast or stable in that specific hue range.

Reading through the art pigment database reveals a lot of information, which can then lead you directly to articles and references that detail the findings and who made them. The world will be much worse off if artiscreation.com ever goes away.

- Delo Delofasht
                Gigalot

I did lightfastness test of my PR122 oil paint and it shown superior permanency, even better than my PG7 oil paint swatch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.