Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art Can Printed Digital Artwork Be Displayed at Exhibitions Alongside Original Artwork?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roun2it

I am Vice Chair of an art group in Lancashire, U.K., one of our members who has been experimenting with Digital Art, mainly abstract work, has asked to enter and display his artwork, printed and framed, at our Annual exhibitions. The committee have agreed that digital art can be construed as fine art in itself, but we are in a quandary when it comes to calling the printed work an “original piece”, which is in our rules for exhibitions, when the artwork is a printed copy of an original digital working.

As a committee we wish to acknowledge his work but cannot seem to square the circle. Most of the pieces at our exhibitions are sold being clearly marked with media used, and are all original art works. We have built up a good reputation in our local area and some on the committee would not wish to see the door opened for other members wishing to place printed materials in our exhibitions. Plus the printed inks are not as lightfast as most materials used by our artist members.

Has any other Art Group been asked to include Printed Digital Art Material at their exhibition and how have they embraced it? We are not decrying digital art, and we have recognised that it can be included in the definition of fine art. So please try not to steer the discussion into that area. What we really want to know is can printed representations of digital art be displayed with other original 2D artwork?

I’m posting here because you are the experts.:thumbsup:

Kev :bye:

Insanity is hereditary ............ you can get it from your children ....or my case Grandchildren

Kev, I’ve shown work in exhibitions next to digital art that was printed. How else can this medium be displayed, but in printed form?

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

The downside to digital art is there is no physical original, only a file and prints. Displaying them with other types of artwork is a good step in showing acceptance of digital art, but they could not be labelled as originals, that may cause confusion for the viewers.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
        Every painting is a new adventure.

I don’t understand. If the work is original, how it arrived on the paper is incidental isn’t it? Some very famous art has made its way into our Galleries and museums and those pieces have been developed onto photo paper. Is that really any different?

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Looking at the various digital exhibits, it is normal to exhibit archival prints of digital art and label them as such.

For example.

Name of Artist
        Name of Artwork, Year Created
        Archival Print of Digital Artwork

If you have a website you could also have a page where the digital art files could be viewed. If you have anyone who is tech inclined they could add a QR code (those square barcodes that smart phones can scan) and you could display that on the label with the artist information so viewers could scan it with their phone and see it on your website.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Elainepsq

In my experience, more and more art shows are accepting digital art. My local art group does limit it to art that does not include photo manipulation, because it does not accept photography. Prints are accepted since providing monitors and electricity isn’t always a practical solution. You can ask the artists to sign an agreement that additional prints will never be made, but do you ask painters to sign an agreement that their traditional work hasn’t been digitized and that prints will not be made in the future?
            Giclee Prints, when framed and mounted under glass and NOT hung in direct sunlight is expected to last hundreds of years. Other natural media, depends on the quality of the paint that is used and the use of certain fugitive colors.

Roun2it

Thanks guys, some food for thought here.

Insanity is hereditary ............ you can get it from your children ....or my case Grandchildren

avani

Elaine, you’re so right. You summed it up well. Thanks :)
                    i am a Digital integrative Fine Art artist/ new Age media artist, living in Mumbai, india.
                    This is a battle i am constantly fighting, trying to tell the gallerists that the original is in the form of a soft copy and once its printed, it becomes an original hard copy.
                    Now if i choose to print it more than once, I have to declare it before i make my first sale. Thats only fair to my first buyer. So i tell them I make 3-5 prints of each of my works and i stick to it.
                    As for the pricing, i have had discussions with fellow artists across many platforms, especially regarding how they price their work if they are making multiple prints.
                    The interesting thing to note is, one said that he charges a certain amount for the first print but goes on hiking up the price with each consecutive print… the higher the demand, the costlier it gets.
                    While another said that the first copy should be priced higher and the consecutive ones, lower, since the buyers who come later are getting a second print and so on.
                    As for me, I charge the same amount for all the prints.

avani
                    "Words and pictures are yin and yang. Married, they produce a progeny more interesting than either parent." — Dr. Seuss
                    www.avaniart.webs.com

avani

And by the way, yes ! i have shown my work alongside the conventional media art. Not everybody ( gallerists) is open to the idea but thank God for the ones who understand and accept it as a bonafide medium.

avani
                        "Words and pictures are yin and yang. Married, they produce a progeny more interesting than either parent." — Dr. Seuss
                        www.avaniart.webs.com

Let me ask you this: How do you deal with photography? Is not all photography based on prints of their work, yet considered original?

Roun2it

Avani that is very interesting and I am sure our art group will consider your insights when I present the information to the committee. Thank you

Let me ask you this: How do you deal with photography? Is not all photography based on prints of their work, yet considered original?

Our art group is for 2D artwork only, we do not allow photography at our exhibitions, In our area there are many photographic groups with their own exhibitions. We like to consider “Artwork” for our exhibitions as 2D presentations where the artist has been physically involved in the creation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.