Home Forums Explore Media Clay Varnish for air-dry clay?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    soap

Hello, just a simple question for the experts here in this forum.
        I made something with DAS air drying clay and with Hobbycraft (UK) Air-Drying Clay. I want to be able to sell it, and so it needs to be waterproof. I am going to paint it – assuming acrylics are most suitable?
        But does it need a protective varnish after acrylic paint to make it waterproof? Acrylic paint usually dries up pretty plasticy so perhaps it is enough?
        If it needs a varnish, what do I use? I’ve spotted Fimo varnish, will that do? Do I need a special clay-varnish?
        Many thanks in advance! really appreciated.

Soap

Stug67

Hi I have just started with air clay and I have been told to undercoat the model first with a matt acrylic undercoat to seal it. Then you can air brush/paint it in acrylics. Then spray that with a standard matt varnish..hope this helps..

What have you made? i’d like to see it if you have any pics. Check my dragon out if you like, it is my first.

soap

Thanks! After doing some research I will paint it with acrylics and then varnish it with this fimo varnish I found on ebay….Hope it will work. Will show when its finished. Your dragon looks amazing! Mine is nothing that fancy…I am no sculptor but a painter….this was just a bit of fun on the side….

ShawnD

Just spray it with a matte varnish after you paint it with acrylics..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.