Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Try to blend polychromos

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nebott

Hi!

I saw a post about blending in the CP library and they talk about blending with a brush or a solvent.

About the brush it doesn´t work neither the solvent that was Odourless White Spirit.

I thought about it’s quite rare that works with others and not with me, so finally I think I would work whith a smoother paper, I saw a pair that would work, one very smooth for aquarelle and other in the middle in what I use and this aquarelle.

I was thinking in working with acrylics but that of using pencils … :S I don´t know if it will work or make me loose my patience :P.

Other think that I comprobed that was this odouless wasn´t that way, it smells not as bad as turpentine but it gaves you a good headache.

So well we will see ;)

Kev-B

Hi Nebott ..

I would think that using White Spirit .. odourless or otherwise was quite dangerous .. from a fire point of view ..

May I recommend a much safer and much more pleasant alternative ?.. I’ve used “Zest-it” .. a non-flammable, non-toxic and citrus smelling solvent on Mi-Teintes paper with very good results .. and no headache .. :wink2:

I applied the solvent with a cotton-bud (sometimes also called a “Q” Tip) .. in small circles .. a small area at a time .. I used it to blend Derwent “Coloursoft” (a wax-based pencil) without any problems .. I’ve not yet needed to use it on my “Polychromos” (oil-based) pencils ..

I’ve included the link to the “Zest-It” site for you to have a look .. Hope this helps .. http://www.zestit.co.uk/

I have no connection with this company .. other than as a customer ..

Bye for now,

Kev ..

[FONT="Verdana"]

I have friends who swear they dream in colour .. I think its just a pigment of their imagination

drawstring

I have used plain isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and it worked very well but that was with Prismacolor Pencils which are wax based. I think Polychromos are oil based. Perhaps one of the other artists here could suggest what works best for Polys.

ooops we must have posted at the same time Kev :)

Cheers

-- John (AKA Drawstring)

- Remember; Your only bad piece of art, is the one you decided not to do!

Essk

I just carried out a quick experiment with Zest-It, a cotton bud & Lyra Rembrandts (another oil based pencil) and it blended very well indeed.

vanity

What kind of brush and what support did you use?

https://www.instagram.com/clay_and_ink/
                        https://www.deviantart.com/whitewillows
                        Formerly vanity

Nebott

Hi Nebott ..

I would think that using White Spirit .. odourless or otherwise was quite dangerous .. from a fire point of view ..

May I recommend a much safer and much more pleasant alternative ?.. I’ve used “Zest-it” .. a non-flammable, non-toxic and citrus smelling solvent on Mi-Teintes paper with very good results .. and no headache .. :wink2:

I applied the solvent with a cotton-bud (sometimes also called a “Q” Tip) .. in small circles .. a small area at a time .. I used it to blend Derwent “Coloursoft” (a wax-based pencil) without any problems .. I’ve not yet needed to use it on my “Polychromos” (oil-based) pencils ..

I’ve included the link to the “Zest-It” site for you to have a look .. Hope this helps .. [URL]http://www.zestit.co.uk/[/URL]

I have no connection with this company .. other than as a customer ..

Bye for now,

Kev ..

Thanks Kev,

Yep, white spirit or turpentine or things like this are toxic and flammable, and they gave a headache yes ;)

I think I will buy on-line Zest it, I have saw that works for colored pencil, oil pastel and oil, so will buy it yep. That three media is my favourite for now ;)

About Mi-Teintes I have a dude, what do you use, smooth or rough side??

Thanks again for your help ;)

Nebott

I just carried out a quick experiment with Zest-It, a cotton bud & Lyra Rembrandts (another oil based pencil) and it blended very well indeed.

Hi Essk,

Good listening it works for oil based pencils :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nebott

What kind of brush and what support did you use?

Hi Vanity,

Well I used a teeth brush ( the one we use to wash our teeth :P, oh my vocabulary… :P hahahaha), brushes of oil painting, and a tooth I used for clean my ortodonce.

But I think the problem is the paper, it has too much tooth, the colors get very intense indeed, but you can breake your fingers, hand, arm and neck pressing very stroong to get out the tooth. And I don´t want to get a lesion on my “human drawing tool”.

So I think I should use a smoother paper witth less tooth, I hace seen some on my art store, I had listen that Mi teintes work, but what side of?
                                    I had saw some very smooth paper for aquarelle in a bloc of 10 sheets, and a one that was a little smoother than what I use.

The one I use is from a spanish trademark called “Guarro”
                                    It is supposed to be used with graphit pencil and charcoal and well for graphite pencil I think it’s the best. The name of the paper is “Grafito”, Graphit in english, so it’s for graphit pencil.

It is the first paper that worked for my portraits in CP, because vefore I used the normal A-4 paper and sketch paper, but they didn´t work as scholar pencils didn´t work too because they were mate, not brilliant.

So maybe I will buy Mi-teintes, after getting the answer of which side I have to use.

So well thank you for you help!!

Anonymous

I would think it would depend what texture you would like for your cps. The back side if you want a smooth look like on a face, or the rougher side if you are doing a background and want texture.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Try to blend polychromos’ is closed to new replies.