Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dewarp

(X-Post Photography and Landscapes)

Every so often the wife and I drive over the mountains to the village of Greyton for lunch. Whilst there, the background mountains and the dwellings both in Greyton and Genadendal often provide a good source of photographic scenery.

On a recent trip I took photos of some buildings in Boesmanskloof. Then we drove back down to the main road and headed towards Caledon. On the road we passed an interesting horse cart, which I decided to photograph. Unfortunately, the horse cart was on the tarred road, and the background was low hills with the large white roof of a storage building – not that good as a straight image.

In post-processing the vision was to use the image of the horse cart, but to set it upon a dirt road against a bluish mountain background. Looking for a suitable donor image I was actually surprised to find that I have taken very few mountain scenes that do not have some serious foreground centre of interest; and even less that have a dirt road going across the bottom. So we went for another drive in order to capture some such suitable images.

When I studied my newly acquired background images, I decided that I wasn’t quite happy with what I had. So I changed my vision and reverted back to an earlier idea where I had envisaged putting the horse cart in front of one of the buildings photographed in Boesmanskloof. And so it was that these two raw files taken within 10 minutes of each other became the starting data for the final image.

The first task was to make a mask to isolate the horse and cart from its background. Another mask was made to isolate the shadow cast by the horse and cart. Separate masks are required for these, because two different processes are bound to be applied.

The image of the house was flipped horizontally. This improved the angle of the dirt road, but more importantly, it resulted in the angle of the sunlight matching that of the horse cart. (It is amazing how ones eyesight picks up wrong light angles – you might not be able to identify what the problem is, but you just sense that there is a problem here!)

The dirt road did not quite coincide with the angle of the horse cart. So a copy was cut out and stretched/distorted and toned/coloured to suit.

Some serious electrical wires and poles were cloned out of the scene.

After some colour/contrast adjustments the resulting image was processed in DAP (Dynamic Auto Painter) using the Golden Age Finer standard preset. The result was OK except that more detail was required for the horse and cart, and this could not easily be achieved on that image. So a copy of the background without the horse cart was run through DAP, and a new version of the horse cart was built by blending the earlier file and the “photographic” version. This horse cart was then pasted into the last DAP image.

The shadows were added to the road, and a fair amount of touch-up cloning was carried out.

C&C welcome.

regards – Peter

You are like a maestro conducting all of your software to create masterpieces.
        Excellent work, Peter, as always.
        Nice shadow work and attention to details. Loving the overall tones of this piece and the whispey background.

LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

dewarp

Thanks for the comment Lorell. Much appreciated.

regards – Peter

Dreamin

What a great shot to work with! You did a great job manipulating it! Masking takes time, but you did a great job! Shadows look great, too. Nice job! Looks like the cover to an interesting teen book!

Natalie

dewarp

Thanks Natalie.

regards – Peter

Rich

A superb image! Well thought out and a lot of work to achieve your vision! This truly looks like a master artist oil painting.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                        Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                        Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

dewarp

Thanks a lot for the comment Rich.

regards – Peter

frodron

Tried to download Dynamic Auto Painter several times but all I am getting is a blank file. I have neve ever had a blank file before.
                                Is it only for MAC computers ?

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

dewarp

Tried to download Dynamic Auto Painter several times but all I am getting is a blank file. I have neve ever had a blank file before.
                                    Is it only for MAC computers ?

Hi Ron

It works on both MACs and PCs.

I’ve just tried to download on http://dynamic-auto-painter.findmysoft.com/ and it worked OK. Version 5 is the latest. Version 6 is reported to be not too far off. Some folks prefer Version 4 for certain reasons.

There is a users web site http://www.mmbforums.com/viewforum.php?f=5 which, although not very active, has existed for years and contains lots of info.

For casual work the “free” unregistered version is fine. It puts a red strip of text along the bottom of the edited file. So what you do is add a bit of image below your starting picture, process it through DAP, and cut the bottom piece off afterwards. I did this for years. However, when I started using DAP more often I decided I should buy a copy – only fair to the developer after all!

Using DAP is simple if you just use the standard presets (as I do). However, there is a whole new world behind it if you really want to get involved. The main problem is the amount of computing time it takes to generate paintings.

Give it a go and see what you think. I’m always willing to answer questions if I can.

regards – Peter

Wow, it looks a very impressive piece of software. Thanks Peter for sharing the links.
                                    Lorell

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

frodron

Thanks Peter,
                                        Manged to download it ftom the website you gave me and had a glance at the User’s Manual.
                                        Looks impressive, now all I have to do is to learn how to use it !

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.