Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Which brand of paint for outdoor graphics?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pa-paw

I’m taking on an outdoor project and have some questions about the different brands of paint. I will be using an acrylic and unfortunately my project will be facing due west into the Texas sun. Lightfastness and weathering will most likely be a problem. I’ve been looking at two brands, Chroma Mural and Nova Color. I’m open to suggestions if there are more options. The paintings will be done on ½” plywood canvases. Thanks.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
        [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

pa-paw

Here is bit more information on my project. I’m taking advantage of a newly constructed concrete biking and hiking trail that runs parallel with my back fence. The trail runs 28 miles and connects two cities together. It is but 7 feet from my back gate, so any artwork displayed on the fence will get a lot of viewers. I hope to convey some non-threatening humor to the passersby.:)

maryinasia

Fun! I’d use exterior house paint.

floblue

I’ve never done an outside mural. But it sure looks like an interesting project. I like your idea.

contumacious

Applying several coats of clear UV blocking Urethane varnish over oils or acrylics painted on metal will last a LONG time outdoors. ACM Panels / Dibond is made for outdoor use and would be my first choice. Google how to prime Dibond for painting to prep it for your work. Look for other brands besides Dibond at sign shop supply stores (not from the sign shop but from the place they buy their stuff from).

You can epoxy aluminum channel standoffs on the backs to attach them to walls / fences. Red Loctite the bolts and nuts used to hang them to make them harder to steal. Just apply heat to loosen the nuts when needed.

pa-paw

Thanks “contumacious” for the feedback and info. This outdoor project is a first for me, as my previous art projects have all geared to interior work. The weather elements will pose a problem on an outside paint on wood project, for sure. Because of the relative small size of these plywood canvases (20” x 30”) construction, prep, and illustrating are being done in my man-cave/studio. I have about 100 feet of cedar fencing that runs parallel with the bike trail, so I can exhibit several canvases out there for the folks. I finally went with The Chroma Mural Paint which is liquid heavy body paint. It dries to a matt finish, but the coat of Urethane varnish will add a gloss.:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.