Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture How to repair a cracked plaster cast figure?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jman0war

So i have this plaster cast figure sculpture in a standing pose from like, 25 years ago.
        It’s 24″ tall and has a good solid armature so it’s not going to just collapse.
        But of course, it has a crack around one of the ankles.

I’m thinking about ways to support it.

Could i take some material, like maybe plaster+PVC glue and buildup a sort of tree support around the ankle like you see in classical stone figures?
        http://artsnap.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Tree.jpg

Or maybe use some other material like.. “Milliput Superfine 2-Part Self Hardening Putty, White” ?

NittinM

That’s very good idea and direction. I like it. lol

ArtsyLynda

That sounds like a good idea, but I haven’t worked in plaster I decades. I did a search on “how to repair a plaster sculpture” and found this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+repair+a+plaster+sculpture&&view=detail&mid=F8F24DDB38AC816BBE3EF8F24DDB38AC816BBE3E&FORM=VRDGAR There are several others as well. Hope this helps!

As far as supporting it with something behind the leg, like you show in the link, that would be difficult to not look like an add on, especially with using a different material in contrast with the aged plaster.

Since it has a good armature inside, you could simple repair the crack line at the ankle and hopefully you won’t have any more stress cracks. Usually those develop with moving the sculpture. So, if you don’t move it, then maybe the repair will do the job.

Lay sculpture on it’s back on some foam or old pillow. Get crackline very moist. Liquify/make runny some plaster and let that flow deep into the crack line. If the line is a big enough crack, use a needle tool to press the plaster into the crack and pack it in. Use a damp finger to smooth over the crack line to flush it out with the surface. When nearly dry or dry, use a fine 600 grit sandpaper (one that won’t leave residue and discolor the plaster) to make smooth. Finish out with 1200 grit. Allow all to set for one day before carefully setting sculpture back in place on his feet.

Hope you figure out something wonderful for your plaster sculpture to preserve it.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

jman0war

thanks
                    Using another material for the support is not a problem.
                    The figure has been spray-painted with matt white intermittantly through the years.

i’d give it another coat to make sure the support blends in.

Good idea!:clap:

Cherry from Vincentaa Art Bronze Sculpture
                    Art originates from life
                    www.bronzesgallery.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.