Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio October 2012 Watercolor Challenge – Mountain Lake

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author

A change of subject again this month to a wonderful mountain scene in the Jasper National Park from a photo in the RIL by Finzy.

I tried this in gouache and I will now have a go in transparent watercolours. I intend to put on the shadows last this time.

Have fun!

PS Here’s my gouache attempt, I put the foreground in the sun.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

wcartistsr

This is a very beautiful photo, Doug. Your gouache attempt turned out so very well. The gold of those mountains is beautiful. I think I might like to try this one, but at my speed, I don’t know when.

Shirley

Hi Doug, Beautiful reference photo and beautiful painting done by you. Will try this one. I was confused about the “sunsets” tutorial class and thought it was the challenge for this month. Will give the sunset a try.

LIL

Deborah Secor

May we join in using gouache on this challenge, or is this thread for transparent watercolorists? Love your gouache version, Doug. Beautiful light and shadows.

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
            Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
            Gouache Blog

Yes of course Deborah.

Doug

AlainJ

Great subject and wonderful photo…

Alain - My Gallery - [FONT=Garamond]

samben84

This one is quite a challenge. I think I’ll try to attempt it, though.

Deborah Secor

Is it kosher to crop and manipulate the original photo or do you all paint it full frame here? (There are different rules in different places, I’ve found…)

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                        Gouache Blog

Yes Deborah, OK to crop. I am thinking I’ll omit the shadows in the foreground and far mountainside.

Doug

GeorgieB

Great subject and a beautiful photograph. A challenge to be sure.

It’s a complex landscape…sky, rocky mountains, snow, water, trees…How would you start?

I intend to paint the whole scene shown in the photo, and think that a sheet of Arches 140lb rough, 10×14 to do it justice. The rough might allow me to indicate the snow (a little masking fluid perhaps?). And like the sample painting by Yorky (well done!) I might lighten the foreground somewhat, add a pathway or rocks to guide the eye upward…(I was awarded an Artistic License some time ago).

Just thoughts. So a question for the participants…how would you start?

Another note…no ink/watercolor wash for this one.

GeorgieB
                            Membership Chair, SonoranPleinAirPainters.com
                            Crits and Comments always welcome

thevaliantx

Doug, awesome job! Not a lick of ‘noise’ or mud in there. :thumbsup:

AlainJ

October Challenge : Mountain Lake (Rockies)

Watercolour on Canson paper 11×15
                                    Not really happy with the foreground, but it was a pleasing trip to the Rockies…

Alain - My Gallery - [FONT=Garamond]

iroquois

Alain, very well done……James

iroquois

oops, yours is very well done also Doug. James

Nice work Alain the foreground is only there to direct you to the background.

I have drawn mine out and am ready to mask the snow then paint at art class tomorrow. I am going to omit the shadows.

Doug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.