WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 02:24 AM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Good thought! I just checked the speed and it checked out at 1MB - 5.6 sec, which is about a second and a half faster than advertised. It's late so the traffic right now is probably not high. I'll check it again again tomorrow morning when everyone is checking their e-mail. One point I made earlier was that I am comparing this site to others I have visited and before I turned off the tinyheads & sigs I had to wait quite a while (several minutes).
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Well you can file this in "more info than you want to know" . I've been checking my cable speed at various times today and I keep coming up with more or less the same speed. Even peaked at 4.8 sec to download 1 meg. at one point, so I'm going to fall back on icon clutter as the reason for my slow visits to this site. The site has a wealth of information and lots of images to graze on so I guess I'll just plod along and resign myself a certain level of pollution.

To Scott - Admin - If you ever decide to act on geckonia's suggestion to add "tinypaintings" please allow the option of turning this feature on/off independent of "tinyheads and signatures"
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 06:54 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Cable tv based networks are often good and shuffling large volumes of data to the recipient, but not as good in the other direction. This means that it is probably the roundtrips to the server and the number of requests that are killing you rather than the actual size in Mb that is reaching you.

The tinyheads and all cute graphics are in your cache after you have browsed a few threads, and what is actually happening is a bunch of very small requests to the server to see if the images there are newer, if not, the images are not downloaded again and a very small response is sent back to you.

If you have set your cache very low, you would also get very slow loading times.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
What would be a suggested optimum cache size for a site like this with numerous small requests?
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2002, 09:58 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally posted by mswaine
[b]Well you can file this in "more info than you want to know" . I've been checking my cable speed at various times today and I keep coming up with more or less the same speed. Even peaked at 4.8 sec to download 1 meg. at one point, so I'm going to fall back on icon clutter as the reason for my slow visits to this site. The site has a wealth of information and lots of images to graze on so I guess I'll just plod along and resign myself a certain level of pollution.

"Icon clutter" has very little to do with it. Remember, net latency can be caused by only about a 3 dozen things in between your home computer and our servers.

Our ISP could be experiencing a "packet storm", someone on the shelf next to us could be hogging all of the local bandwidth (from ISP to the street). Also, our ISP is installing a new fiber optic network - I don't expect this to go seamlessly ...

Cheers.
Scott
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2002, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend
SF Bay Area

Hails from United States
Gallery

So, back to my idea... Is there any way to have an open critique gallery here? I know this is a message board, not a virtual gallery, but I think it would be so cool to graze through a page of large clickable thumbnails then click to view the subsequent thread with it's usual critiques, comments, artist info etc...Or just a nice gallery of images we upload ourselves?

HEY! My wish came true! I just found the "Post your favorite painting of 2001" thread in the WC! Gallery forum...Now that's close to what I had in mind!

Last edited by geckonia : 01-21-2002 at 12:37 AM.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2002, 05:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Juan Puerto Rico

Hails from Puerto Rico
Thumbs up two thumbs up to scottb

Scott, this new idea is excellent. As administrator you did great work in Open and Structured critique forum. Then , what's next?