Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Rembrandt carmine vs. perm madder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ronsu18

hi!
        this is for the rembrandt brand only.
        what are your uses for permanent madder dp (PR 264) and carmine (PR176)?
        ordered the madder, now suddenly (and pref. quickly to add to order!) needing to understand carmine’s mixing capabilities.
        it’s not the most straightforward question, but any comments will help!

C&C welcome

ragtopcircus

Take a look at the color chart for Rembrandt. FWIW, they use PR264 in quite a few of the mixed colors. I don’t see PR176 used for anything but Carmine. Studying that chart may give you some ideas for how to use the PR264.

ragtopcircus

(Double post deleted)

budigart

I have used Perm Madder Deep for years. It is my go-to red on my portrait palette. I wouldn’t call it a complaint, but it took awhile for me to get used to how potent it is. A little goes a long way. Of course, I’m talking flesh tones here.

I also use a very simple, limited flesh palette: Cremnitz white, yellow ocher, perm. madder deep, Williamsburg burnt umber, and black. I used to use ivory black, but switch a couple of years ago to Williamsburg Italian black roman earth, which come very close to making a neutral gray when mixed with white.

Of course, when needed I add and/or use other colors in my flesh palette.

ronsu18

hi guys, thanks for weighing in! i received some thoughts on this cross posting in technical forum when ordering. by mistake the carmine never came, the madder did, and simply swept me off my feet. i love the juicy, heather/blackberry/black currant pure tints it makes, and every blue&green combination. a little really does go a long way! how i’ve painted landscapes without it is a mystery. will order the carmine too, have to test it. soon.

C&C welcome

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.