Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Colour theory (Robert Henri)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard P

Has anyone here any experience with these kind of colour theories and palettes as described here:
        https://www.attentiveequations.com/page/8/%5B/URL%5D

I’m not a colourist.. any thoughts on these ideas?

Delofasht

Yes Richard, it’s great stuff utilizing variation in hue intensity to shift the spatial relationships via psychological reactions to color. The major take away from the page you linked is the idea of color intensity not being linked to the value of a color (as is commonly assessed by the majority) but instead independent of that and thus able to see an intense dark for what it actually is. This actually links into the Antrhraquinone thread, where I described the difference in intensity between it and Ultramarine as not nearly as disparate as it would seem, in fact Anthraquinone can often be more full of color, if we include the fact that the tinting strength is so much higher.

That example extends to colors like dark rose pigments, dark greens and numerous other colors, where the mass tone is quite dark, but they have incredible tinting strength and glaze to extremely vibrant colors over white. Phthalo Green, Dioxazine Purple, Anthraquinone Red, and Maroon Perylene all exhibit this high chroma dark mass tone. More examples are in the yellow range as well, with Nickel Azo Yellow, Transparent Oxide Yellow, and a few others, that when glazed show they have incredible intensity and excellent tinting strength. Dark mass tone ≠ always low chroma colors.

As for the application of those ideas outlined in the article, yes, I have used them, and try to actively utilize them for shifting and pushing or pulling areas in darks and lights without necessarily adjusting value. For instance, in portraiture work, shifting the hue towards magenta in half tones (areas of light) can work to push the skin in a bit and create a hollow of a cheek or some other flat area, but it works best if the color next to it is facing the light and is less magenta leaning (including pink). It works in all kinds of various paintings in different ways, and requires a lot of thinking about how the light is working. Do it enough, and the hue shifting in values and intensity can lead to very nice results. It is also great when just using the same color at a higher intensity (not necessarily value), to make an area seem to come forward as well.

- Delo Delofasht
            DMSS

I don’t really have experience with this, but I read the attentive equations blog and am fascinated by it. I am trying to figure out how to incorporate the concepts into my paintings. One thing I’ve done based on something I read on the blog is to try neutralizing a color with one of its near complements. That gave me some very interesting, chromatic neutrals to work with that I would not have discovered otherwise. The author, Judith Reeve, has done a lot of research in Robert Henri’s papers at Yale’s rare books library.

--David

Richard P

Thank you both. I need to think some more about what you both said :)

2stourseeker

Organization as opposed to instinct. Or, oneore way of breaking down a complex task into steps. A grey scale could be used ie. en grisselle. But unless painted in grey and glazed over the richness of color could be diminished. This greying or muting of color is most used in landscape painting. This concept could work well with the Dumond/Mason prismatic, premixed palette.
                        Here, lays my question, the Hesel vertical landscape palette is made for the above said premixed system. And, it seems to me that the “discontinued” Sienna Horizon plein air pochade woul be perfect for the Helsel vertical palette. How can I find one even if it has been discontinued be Richeson Art?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.