Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions How long should oils dry before framing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    pilgrem

I have recently begun painting in oils, and was wondering how long I need to wait before framing my paintings. Does it hurt to frame them when they are dry to the touch?

DaveMak

Ideally you should wait the same period of time as you need to wait to varnish a painting… 6-12 months. However that isn’t always practical.

If the painting is dry to the touch you could frame it using Volara tape to help prevent the paint from sticking to the rabbet of the frame.

If you are selling oils that have not yet been varnished, please advise your clients that they should be varnished at a later date.

wsrea

Interesting question, Pilgrem, and great answer, Dave. For those of us who paint and display our art on our walls at home, six months is a long time to wait before framing. I’m ordering Volara tape when I get home tonight!

Thanks,

Bill

Comments and critiques are invited

Mary Maggio

egats! :eek: that is expensive tape. I just framed 2 oils that I finished about 5 minutes ago….good thing you told me. I think I will take them down and reconsider… Maybe I can use a foam rubber instead…. hummmm….

Val Ivanova

I usually wait my oil paintings to dry for 5-6 months, and then I choose the frame:)

James Miller

egats! :eek: that is expensive tape… Maybe I can use a foam rubber instead…. hummmm….

Careful, Mary. Volara is no ordinary foam tape. Unlike weather-stripping and other foam tapes, Volara is specially-formulated to not stick to the paint, as most of the cheaper choices would.

Another technique is to staple/tack strips of 4-ply matboard vertically to the edges of the stretched canvas, where the staples already exist. Cut the strips to protrude above the canvas surface by about 1/8 to 1/4″, or whatever height is required to keep the frame’s lip from contacting the painted surface of the canvas.

And artists wonder why framing is expensive…
                            :eek:

suzidemello

Thanks for your valuable information

Biiigal

Hey, I’m doing my first plein air event and we are supposed to have our work framed and ready for the show on the same day its painted. I know everybody has to do this, but I’ve wondered about the poor saps, I mean wonderful patrons, who purchase our pieces and how many of them know to varnish, or how to varnish, or when to varnish our pieces.

Steve Collins

Another framing option is to use a floater which, by its nature, doesn’t contact the front or sides of the canvas. You can always reframe once the paint is fully cured.

Steve Collins

egats! :eek: that is expensive tape. I just framed 2 oils that I finished about 5 minutes ago….good thing you told me. I think I will take them down and reconsider… Maybe I can use a foam rubber instead…. hummmm….

Do the math. It’s $28 for 108′ of tape. That would be enough to line 18 16″x20″ frames, about $1.50 each. Is your painting worth $1.50? :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.